LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Other *NIX Forums > Solaris / OpenSolaris
User Name
Password
Solaris / OpenSolaris This forum is for the discussion of Solaris, OpenSolaris, OpenIndiana, and illumos.
General Sun, SunOS and Sparc related questions also go here. Any Solaris fork or distribution is welcome.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 07-01-2019, 07:21 AM   #1
Pipeline79

Distribution: Slackware 14.2

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Possible to install guest additions when running OmniOS in VirtualBox?

This relates to getting a better display for an OmniOS guest running on a Linux host.
I've installed version 6 of virtualbox using the .run script for all (inc Slackware) linux hosts. At the moment installing an illumos variant on hardware isn't an option.

I did a basic install of OmniOS before on version 5 of vbox, then bootstrapped pkgsrc, etc for extra packages like the modular xorg-server and the xfce desktop, openbox, etc.

However, the problem with the guest additions is that when you insert the iso, it does not automount in /media or appear on the desktop. I was able to manually mount the image to a folder and do a pkg add for the 'Solaris Guests' package, but then I get an error saying it was unable to find Xorg.

A couple of youtube videos I was following suggest that this could be because, by using pkgsrc, xorg will not be in its usual place in the /usr branch somewhere - which makes sense. Also, there is a guide here: https://geekblood.wordpress.com/2017...ent-on-omnios/
Which suggests you should specifically install the xf86-video-vesa driver for virtualbox, but 'it will not be fun because of a current incompatibility'.

Anyone know if this is even possible and what I should be adding to the basic system to get this to work? Or give up and just set up something like X11 forwarding instead if I want to look at a desktop sometimes?

Old 07-12-2019, 02:11 PM   #2
GAVollink

Distribution: Ubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 34
You might be able to get away with creating softlinks for the Oracle expected paths (make it look like xorg is in the default Solaris path). At least, this would be my approach to try to force it to work. Ultimately, though, Oracle, owner of Sun Solaris and VirtualBox, does not have a reason to fix this.

1 members found this post helpful.