LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Bodhi
User Name
Password
Bodhi This forum is for the discussion of Bodhi Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 08-11-2018, 04:46 PM   #1
enigma9o7

Distribution: Bodhi Linux

Rep: Reputation: 560Reputation: 560Reputation: 560Reputation: 560Reputation: 560Reputation: 560
Plex Media Server

I tried asking on Plex forums, but they are not Bodhi friendly.
https://forums.plex.tv/t/plex-media-...install/294999

I just installed plex media server. It appears to be running. But I cannot connect to it from web interface. I disabled vpn as advised. I have no firewall. What else is there?

Code:
bodhi@VPCF115FM:~$ sudo systemctl status plexmediaserver
● plexmediaserver.service - Plex Media Server for Linux
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/plexmediaserver.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: active (running) since Sat 2018-08-11 13:46:35 PDT; 13min ago
 Main PID: 6764 (sh)
    Tasks: 5 (limit: 4915)
   CGroup: /system.slice/plexmediaserver.service
           ├─6764 /bin/sh -c LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/plexmediaserver "/usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Plex Media Server"
           └─6765 /usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Plex Media Server

Aug 11 13:46:35 VPCF115FM systemd[1]: Starting Plex Media Server for Linux...
Aug 11 13:46:35 VPCF115FM systemd[1]: Started Plex Media Server for Linux.
I’ve tried http://localhost:32400/web as well as replacing localhost with 127.0.0.1 and my local and internet ip’s (hostname -I) and none work. Tried chromium and firefox. Tried reinstalling plex various ways, including downloading deb from official plex site.

This same computer runs plex server fine under windows 10; I’m thinking of making a more permanent move to linux so need plex running first…

Old 08-12-2018, 02:41 AM   #2
ondoho
LQ Addict

Rep: Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053
bodhi is based on ubuntu afaik. find out which LTS version it is based on.
go through detailed plex install instructions as if you were using ubuntu. you probably just missed something that is not specific to bodhi.

Old 08-12-2018, 11:17 AM   #3
enigma9o7

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 560Reputation: 560Reputation: 560Reputation: 560Reputation: 560Reputation: 560
Well yeah. It's Ubuntu 18.04, first thing I mentioned in that thread over there.

I have followed every detailed set of instructions. They always assume I can connect to myself. The only things that should block it are vpn, firewall, and proxy server. I disabled my vpn, confirmed that there isn't a firewall installed, and haven't done anything proxy related. So I'm out of instructions to follow.

It seems to me bodhi must be blocking ports somehow, but I dunno how to verify that kind of thing.

Last edited by enigma9o7; 08-12-2018 at 11:27 AM.

Old 08-12-2018, 03:19 PM   #4
Jeff91
Bodhi Developer

Distribution: Bodhi

Rep: Reputation: 68
The only difference between Bodhi and stock Ubuntu in terms of network is we are telling netplan to utilize network manager for connecting to networks.

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-12-2018, 07:43 PM   #5
enigma9o7

Original Poster
Thanks. It was nothing to do with Bodhi, and all to do with me. I made a mistake improvising on a method to migrate a windows database, but got it working now. When I tried a completely clean install of pms, all worked fine.

For reference, I wanted to use the plex folder on my ntfs drive since it was already set up with all my metadata, watched status, etc, instead of copying that folder over as the guide suggested. My hope is it will still work under Windows too, although if it doesn't, not a big problem.

So I created a link to my windows folder with pcmanfm, and copied non duplicate files from the default freshly installed folder into there cuz it looked like it had codecs, plus an xml config file, and who knows what. Well, it turned out, pms requires that folder to be owned by the user plex, which was causing it not to even load the web server I guess. And and one cannot chown on ntfs drives. So, in order to get around that, I had to change fstab to mount the ntfs drive with the uid/gid of plex. Now it works as I hoped.

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-23-2019, 02:46 PM   #6
bonatom
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Bohdi 5.0

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma9o7 View Post
Thanks. It was nothing to do with Bodhi, and all to do with me. I made a mistake improvising on a method to migrate a windows database, but got it working now. When I tried a completely clean install of pms, all worked fine.

For reference, I wanted to use the plex folder on my ntfs drive since it was already set up with all my metadata, watched status, etc, instead of copying that folder over as the guide suggested. My hope is it will still work under Windows too, although if it doesn't, not a big problem.

So I created a link to my windows folder with pcmanfm, and copied non duplicate files from the default freshly installed folder into there cuz it looked like it had codecs, plus an xml config file, and who knows what. Well, it turned out, pms requires that folder to be owned by the user plex, which was causing it not to even load the web server I guess. And and one cannot chown on ntfs drives. So, in order to get around that, I had to change fstab to mount the ntfs drive with the uid/gid of plex. Now it works as I hoped.

First Off... THANK YOU for confirming that Plex can run off of Bodhi! I am a linux newbie (Like Yesterday was my first time in it... ever). I installed the PMS... but also could not access the WEB UI. After spending more time than I would like to admit, I believe it might be a permissions issue.

I am going to uninstall PMS and try to install to install it again vis these instructions (
https://linuxize.com/post/how-to-ins...-ubuntu-18-04/) Open to any tips or the best forums/message boards for Plex and Ubuntu/Bodhi.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-24-2019, 11:36 PM   #7
enigma9o7

Original Poster
How did you install it the previous time? I'm pretty sure all I did was sudo apt install plexmediaserver. Are you trying to transfer over an existing windows server or just start from scratch?

I still run plex no problems (other than overheating CPU) but it's been a while, this thread was from when I first decided to switch to linux fulltime on my main PC, and haven't looked back since.

1 members found this post helpful.