LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 06-01-2021, 01:52 PM   #1
byteporter
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Question mozilla-firefox-89.0-x86_64-1 no longer applying scrollbar width from 'gtk.css'

I just updated my installation of -current (also using kernel 5.12.8 from testing but I don't think that's relevant here) which updated my Firefox from 88 -> 89. Window manager is Window Maker.

I've been using gtk.css to make my scrollbars wider for a long time now, which is particularly important for me because I'm using a big ol' LG 42" monitor and the edges are obscured a bit by shadows from the bezel. But honestly, I just like having the big scrollbars on such a large screen anyway.

I currently have the scrollbars set to be wider using the ~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css file:

Code:
scrollbar, scrollbar button, scrollbar slider {
    -GtkScrollbar-has-backward-stepper: true;
    -GtkScrollbar-has-forward-stepper: true;
    min-width: 17px;
    min-height: 20px;
    border-radius: 0;
}
Been running like this for forever, I don't remember where I found the info to do this in the first place. The new Firefox however is back to the really thin scrollbars. When I first launched it after the update it had a popup about themes, I didn't pay too much attention because I don't really care about themes too much. I'm running whatever the default is.

I guess my question is how best to go about addressing this? I'm guessing that I could set the width back to big ol' fatty with a custom theme, but I don't really like that idea if I can help it. Ideally I'd like it to respect the gtk.css file again because I don't like the idea of having to set something like that for each individual application.

To be honest, I have no idea how these get applied. My guess is the gtk.css is only controlling the GTK library itself, but I'm pretty sure browsers have their own default CSS as well. I have no idea if Firefox is aware of the gtk.css file (or whatever ends up representing it in memory) at all, perhaps there's a way to instruct Firefox to inherit this setting from GTK? I'd be ok with making a custom theme that establishes this link.

Anyway, I guess I'm just hoping someone out there in the community knows how all this stuff fits together better than I do and can set me on the path of customizing this in the way that will provide the least amount of headaches down the road. Thanks!

PS: Thanks to the community (especially Pat et al) for making such a great OS! Congrats on the release of version 15!

Old 06-01-2021, 02:11 PM   #2
TheRealGrogan

Distribution: Slackware, LFS, Manjaro (for gaming)

Rep: Reputation: 413Reputation: 413Reputation: 413Reputation: 413Reputation: 413
Yup, I'm in the same boat. If I don't find a solution to the scrollbar soon, I'm going back to my tarred up 88.0.1 build and profile directory and looking for another browser. (I like Vivaldi, but if I can't compile it, I'm not using it). I can't stand this scrollbar, because I grab on and pull them up and down and this is too thin to be practical.

It's completely ignoring GTK+ styling settings now. I've been doing this in userContent.css.

Code:
:root{
   scrollbar-color: #BA0B00 #000000;
   scrollbar-width: auto;
}
Where scrollbar-width takes thin, none (no scrollbar) and auto, which is supposed to be "platform defaults", i.e. GTK+ styling settings. That was working up until 89.0 but now "auto" is being ignored. I can't get it to take pixel values. I'm specifying the colour, to be more like my GTK+ theme, trying to mimic the gradient colour of my GTK+ theme that I've been using for several years, which at some point it started ignoring (it used to just use my native styling with Firefox's "System Theme"). The colour values still work.

If I find a way I'll post back here.

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-02-2021, 09:36 AM   #3
vasily-22
LQ Newbie

Hi,

The option
Code:
widget.non-native-theme.scrollbar.size
from about:config is now setting the scrollbar size. I had to restart Firefox for the changes to take effect.

There are some other options that can additionally configure the scrollbar.
With

Code:
widget.non-native-theme.gtk.scrollbar.round-thumb = false
widget.non-native-theme.gtk.scrollbar.thumb-size = 1
it looks like the scrollbars on youtube and vscode, which I like better.

Last edited by vasily-22; 06-02-2021 at 09:38 AM.

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-02-2021, 09:45 AM   #4
byteporter
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Slackware

Original Poster
Thanks vasily-22! I didn't do exactly as you've done, but you sent me to the correct place! What I did was disable the Firefox theme altogether, which is perfect for me personally. I set this option:

Code:
widget.non-native-theme.enabled = false
instead of true, and now I have the big fat scrollbar specified by my gtk.css again. This is my ideal solution, thanks!

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-02-2021, 10:04 AM   #5
Thagarr
LQ Newbie

Thank you!!!

Old 06-02-2021, 02:01 PM   #6
TheRealGrogan

Rep: Reputation: 413Reputation: 413Reputation: 413Reputation: 413Reputation: 413
Man, thanks guys, that's perfect. I hate anything that ignores my gtk styling (and I set up qt similarly to match) so I used the widget.non-native-theme.enabled toggle.

Now I can keep this.

Old 06-02-2021, 02:12 PM   #7
TheRealGrogan

By the way guys, my friend in another forum gave me this:

https://www.ghacks.net/2021/05/09/ho...ser-interface/

It put everything back to normal except the scrollbar size (including the tiles on the New Tab page, though they no longer download page thumbnails but use favicon or generic first letter).

Now it's complete.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-02-2021, 02:36 PM   #8
mlangdn

Distribution: Slackware64-current

Rep: Reputation: 452Reputation: 452Reputation: 452Reputation: 452Reputation: 452
I left this option as true:

Code:
widget.non-native-theme.enabled = true
I did that to keep the rounded corners of the scrollbar. Looked nice to me - and my color is orange. That's what I used in userContent.css given to me by TheRealGrogan several moons ago.....

And, I used the fix above from ghacks.net. Now something else to keep track off....

Last edited by mlangdn; 06-02-2021 at 02:37 PM.

Tags
firefox, gtk, theme