LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 03-16-2019, 06:09 PM   #1
WishWish
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Ubuntu 18.04 Software Update - undo update or fix rtl8812au module

Main problem:
I installed the most recent set of software updates for Ubuntu 18.04 last night. Now wifi is entirely unworking (same as prior to having a working module/driver after my first install)

terminal command lsmod doesn't show the driver on the list

Even the ethernet cable, it shows it's working but when I try and do something on the internet I get a message, "Activation of Network Connection Failed."

I was given the option to do a partial update and I tried that, no change.
Ubuntu has given me a message upon restart, basically "something is wrong, would you like to report this" so I did. (Hopefully it can be dealt with soon....)

Things to note:
-I am currently posting by having my phone connected to wifi and tethered to the laptop, which is... not good for the phone's battery.
-I'm 99% certain the driver I had was rtl8812au (definitely a realtek driver)
-I did not back anything up (lesson learned!)
-Dualbooting Ubuntu with Win10
-hp laptop 246 g6

I would prefer to rollback the update to be honest, but the only other post I found that wasn't from 7 years ago (re a single application that stopped working upon update) the suggestion was to focus on getting the app to work.

Either way, I just want my heckin wifi to work without other things breaking. Any help is massively appreciated, and I'll do my best to provde any further requested info.

Old 03-17-2019, 11:11 AM   #2
Terry Coats

Rep: Reputation: 54
I have this usb device on my computer.
It works ok. I got the driver here:
https://github.com/zebulon2/rtl8812au-driver-5.2.20
Download the driver and unzip it. The page has the
instructions on how to compile and install it.

Old 03-17-2019, 10:56 PM   #3
WishWish
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Coats View Post
I have this usb device on my computer.
It works ok. I got the driver here:
https://github.com/zebulon2/rtl8812au-driver-5.2.20
Download the driver and unzip it. The page has the
instructions on how to compile and install it.
I've now attempted this. Took me a while to get my head around everything (I'm still kinda new to Ubuntu) but I'm pretty sure I did eventually manage to figure it out correctly, and it still isn't working, unfortunately.

Have dkms status:
Code:
~$ dkms status rtl8812au
@PKGBASE@, @PKGVER@: added
rtl8812au, 5.2.20, 4.18.0-16-generic, x86_64: installed
Not certain what I'd need to do from here. I have attempted to load the module, but their instructions were to copy it to /usr/src/rtl88etc.. and turns out modprobe just attempts from /lib/modules

Old 03-18-2019, 01:12 AM   #4
Terry Coats

I thought my driver wasn't working either but it turned out
that this particular driver does not turn on the device led
so I didn't believe it was working until I started my browser.
Is the driver being loaded? Command "lsmod" will show the driver
if it is. Example on my system:
Code:
terry [ ~ ]$ lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
nouveau              2039808  2
88XXau               2187264  0
wmi                    24576  1 nouveau
ttm                   102400  1 nouveau
x86_pkg_temp_thermal    16384  0
88XXau is the module that should be showing loaded.

Last edited by Terry Coats; 03-18-2019 at 01:13 AM. Reason: typo

Old 03-18-2019, 06:12 PM   #5
Terry Coats

Quote:
Originally Posted by WishWish View Post
I've now attempted this. Took me a while to get my head around everything (I'm still kinda new to Ubuntu) but I'm pretty sure I did eventually manage to figure it out correctly, and it still isn't working, unfortunately.

Have dkms status:
Code:
~$ dkms status rtl8812au
@PKGBASE@, @PKGVER@: added
rtl8812au, 5.2.20, 4.18.0-16-generic, x86_64: installed
Not certain what I'd need to do from here. I have attempted to load the module, but their instructions were to copy it to /usr/src/rtl88etc.. and turns out modprobe just attempts from /lib/modules
The module is not copied to /usr/src/. dkms wants a copy of the 5.2.20 source to be in /usr/src
so a new module can be compiled when a new kernel is installed.
The module should be loaded automatically.

Old 03-20-2019, 08:17 PM   #6
WishWish
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Quote:
I thought my driver wasn't working either but it turned out
that this particular driver does not turn on the device led
I have paid absolutely zero attention to LEDs, but it's a good thing to mention. My internet is most definitely not working - I have no option to connect to Wifi, my settings show there's no network adapter, and things are definitely not working when I try to use the browser.

I wish it was the LED!

Quote:
The module is not copied to /usr/src/. dkms wants a copy of the 5.2.20 source to be in /usr/src
so a new module can be compiled when a new kernel is installed.
The module should be loaded automatically.
It most definitely looks like it's in there to me, unless I've done a dumb somewhere? I've attached a couple of screenshots of the actual folders (files>other locations>usr>src, containing the 5.2.20 folder; and a pic of inside the 5.2.20 folder)

I've just now clicked that the old module (4.2.2) is still in there. I thought I had removed that, but maybe I removed the version of it that's in /lib/modules only. Do you think that's the likely problem? I'll see what I can do to get rid of it, and let y'all know if it works.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2019-03-21 14-07-51.png
Views:	23
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	30154   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2019-03-21 14-08-08.png
Views:	18
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	30155  

Old 03-21-2019, 02:47 PM   #7
WishWish
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Quote:
I've just now clicked that the old module (4.2.2) is still in there. I thought I had removed that, but maybe I removed the version of it that's in /lib/modules only. Do you think that's the likely problem? I'll see what I can do to get rid of it, and let y'all know if it works.
Well I got rid of 4.2.2, but 5.2.20's still not working

Old 03-21-2019, 04:35 PM   #8
jkirchner

Distribution: Pop!_OS

Rep: Reputation: 297Reputation: 297Reputation: 297
Have you tried going to software & updates and checking the additional drivers tab to see if they have it for you? You'd have to connect via cable but if you can it is worth checking.

Old 03-21-2019, 08:06 PM   #9
WishWish
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkirchner View Post
Have you tried going to software & updates and checking the additional drivers tab to see if they have it for you? You'd have to connect via cable but if you can it is worth checking.
Yes I have looked at this, unfortunately nothing comes up, which isn't very helpful!

(Interestingly, the ethernet cable hasn't worked since this update. It shows it should be working, but nothing on the internet loads. I have my phone connected to Wifi and tethered, which is hell on my phone's battery and I believe curbs the internet speed, but, well, it makes the internet work...)

Old 03-21-2019, 08:21 PM   #10
jkirchner

Distribution: Pop!_OS

Rep: Reputation: 297Reputation: 297Reputation: 297
Can you run Ubuntu live cd/usb? If you have a live cd/usb of Ubuntu could you try that and see what goes?

Out of curiosity, does your laptop have a switch to turn the wireless on/off? If so, is it on? (I ask as I had a Sony years ago which had such a switch and worked for hours trying to figure out my connection issue before discovering the switch.

Old 08-15-2019, 10:55 PM   #11
WishWish
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
So I put this to the side for a long time, and recently went back to trying to fix it, which meant I basically had to start from the start so I could wrap my brain around what I was trying to do again

Uh

Turns out all I needed was rtl8723de
I'm extremely certain I had previously had, fully working, 8812au, so I am quite baffled as to either a) how I got that wrong and b) how it managed to work anyway, but my problem is all fixed and I'm happy announce that I have an actual, working wifi network adapter on my laptop again