LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Linux Mint
User Name
Password
Linux Mint This forum is for the discussion of Linux Mint.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 08-12-2018, 04:54 AM   #1
synesius1
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Question Taskbar disappeared in Linux Mint 18.3 (Silvia) after package cleaning process

Hi everyone,

I've been using Linux Mint for a while now without any serious issues. Then, at one point I decided to do a package cleaning process (something possible through the grub menu, in order to get rid of unnecessary programs). This must have messed something up because afterwards I couldn't see the taskbar any more.

Nevertheless, everything else worked fine (including the FS itself, which is accessible through the Computer icon). Also, I have an application launcher installed, so it's not too hard to start the applications I need, while the terminal window is just a press of a button away, so things aren't too bad.

Still, I'd prefer to have the taskbar and I don't have the patience to install the OS from scratch. Any advice on how I could get it back would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Zack

Old 08-13-2018, 01:37 AM   #2
ondoho
LQ Addict

Rep: Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053
Quote:
Originally Posted by synesius1 View Post
Then, at one point I decided to do a package cleaning process (something possible through the grub menu, in order to get rid of unnecessary programs).
sorry but this is plain wrong.
the grub bootloader has nothing to do with mint's package management.
please show & explain exactly what you did there.

Old 08-13-2018, 03:54 AM   #3
synesius1
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
I'm sorry but I cannot do that. The grub interface doesn't allow for screenshots. However, it does have an option to clean up unnecessary programs from the OS (to save space). I understand that this is not the same as the packages installed in the system from the package manager and I too find it strange that the programs in the grub are referred to as packages. Whatever the case, I ended up without some essential applications, the taskbar being one of them. I also cannot change the desktop background.
Thanks

Old 08-13-2018, 06:24 AM   #4
michaelk

Rep: Reputation: 5896Reputation: 5896Reputation: 5896Reputation: 5896Reputation: 5896Reputation: 5896Reputation: 5896Reputation: 5896Reputation: 5896Reputation: 5896Reputation: 5896
Quote:
I'm sorry but I cannot do that. The grub interface doesn't allow for screenshots.
You can try posting the steps as best as you can remember. You are probably running the commands from a terminal window without the desktop. GRUB has a limited number of commands and if you were at the grub interface you would see the grub> prompt.

Do you know what desktop you are running i.e. xfce, cinnamon etc? If running cinnamon you should be able to restore the taskbar via the panel editor.

/usr/share/cinnamon/cinnamon-settings/cinnamon-settings.py panel

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-13-2018, 09:58 AM   #5
synesius1
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelk View Post
You can try posting the steps as best as you can remember. You are probably running the commands from a terminal window without the desktop. GRUB has a limited number of commands and if you were at the grub interface you would see the grub> prompt.

Do you know what desktop you are running i.e. xfce, cinnamon etc? If running cinnamon you should be able to restore the taskbar via the panel editor.

/usr/share/cinnamon/cinnamon-settings/cinnamon-settings.py panel

I actually ran the GRUB from a USB stick having the Ubuntu Mint installation ISO on it. Seeing that it messed things up I formatted it afterwards.

I believe the desktop I have is xfce, but I'm not 100% sure. I couldn't find a settings file for it though.

Thanks

Old 08-14-2018, 01:19 AM   #6
ondoho
LQ Addict

Rep: Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053
Quote:
Originally Posted by synesius1 View Post
However, it does have an option to clean up unnecessary programs from the OS (to save space).
i can only repeat what i already said:
grub is a bootloader and does NOT take care of installed software.
my guess, you are confusing terms, and what you are refering to isn't grub at all.

anyhow, without some actual output (instead of paraphrasing) nobody can really help.
whther you copy paste or write it down letter by letter or even take a photo of your screen doesn't matter (at this point).

Old 08-14-2018, 06:44 AM   #7
synesius1
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by ondoho View Post
i can only repeat what i already said:
grub is a bootloader and does NOT take care of installed software.
my guess, you are confusing terms, and what you are refering to isn't grub at all.

anyhow, without some actual output (instead of paraphrasing) nobody can really help.
whther you copy paste or write it down letter by letter or even take a photo of your screen doesn't matter (at this point).
Alright, well maybe Grub in general doesn't take care of programs, but the Grub program I used did (I ran it from a USB drive with a bootable version of Linux Mint). I don't make these things up.
Thanks