LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Hardware > Linux - Embedded & Single-board computer
User Name
Password
Linux - Embedded & Single-board computer This forum is for the discussion of Linux on both embedded devices and single-board computers (such as the Raspberry Pi, BeagleBoard and PandaBoard). Discussions involving Arduino, plug computers and other micro-controller like devices are also welcome.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 01-18-2013, 03:13 PM   #1
Completely Clueless

Distribution: Many and various...

Rep: Reputation: 70
Question Accessing I/O in Raspberry Pi

HI all,

So I've got my Pi and have loaded it up with the cut-down version of Arch with no gui; just a command line.

I want to use this Pi as a controller for a programmable time delay lock which will open at certain pre-determined times.

I'd prefer to do this in C rather than Bash on balance, being very much more familiar with the former. Problem is, I've only ever written utilities that read and write to and from files, the keyboard and the screen. Now I have to somehow access the GPIO pins of the Pi and have no idea how to go about it.

Can anyone tell me how these pins can be brought into service in C or Bash? Do I need to install any additional software for their support? There seems to be a distinct dearth of info on the subject, so any pointers/advice would be very welcome.

Cheers,

CC.

Old 01-19-2013, 10:28 AM   #2
michaelk

Rep: Reputation: 5921Reputation: 5921Reputation: 5921Reputation: 5921Reputation: 5921Reputation: 5921Reputation: 5921Reputation: 5921Reputation: 5921Reputation: 5921Reputation: 5921
Here you go...

http://elinux.org/RPi_Low-level_peripherals

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:08 PM   #3
Completely Clueless

Distribution: Many and various...

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 70
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelk View Post
Ah! Just what I needed; many thanks...