LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 12-30-2019, 09:52 PM   #1
andrew.46

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 493Reputation: 493Reputation: 493Reputation: 493Reputation: 493
Latest Unreal Tournament segfaults on Slackware -current?

Has anybody had any success with the latest Unreal Tournament for Linux? I played this game many years ago and was keen on getting to grips with a native Linux version, however all I managed was a big chunky segfault . Anybody have success with this one? Download details are here...

I am aware that there is an older version on SBo which will be my fallback if nobody else can get the newer version running.

Old 12-31-2019, 03:43 PM   #2
ReFracture

Rep: Reputation: 222Reputation: 222Reputation: 222
Latest version? As in the one that was getting actively developed by Epic up until Fortnite took over? In that case I got nothing. What you linked on SBo isn't some 'older version' of that game, it's a completely different game called Unreal Tournament 2004 and is in my opinion the peak of the franchise.

I've had numerous adventures in getting UT2004's native linux client to behave on several different distros; it pretty much boiled down to needing to find older versions of some of its dependencies and putting it in the game's 'system' directory. Once ironed out UT2004's 64 bit binary runs fantastic on Linux. Sadly UT99's linux client is a bit buggy and I just stick to running the Windows version in Wine.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-31-2019, 07:36 PM   #3
TheRealGrogan

Distribution: Slackware, LFS, Manjaro (for gaming)

Rep: Reputation: 413Reputation: 413Reputation: 413Reputation: 413Reputation: 413
I do that too with ut2004, since icculus added 64 bit binaries in a patch. I've copied the same ut2004 directory to different computers and distros for many years, it's the gift that keeps on giving. (I bought it in 2004 and installed it once). The only tricky thing is to find a workable 64 bit libstdc++.so.5. I think I took mine from a SlamD 64 gcc package at the time (as Slackware didn't have an official 64 bit distro back then) and it has worked ever since. I had to drop in a newer libSDL 1.2 and a newer libopenal (renamed to openal.so) and libartsc at some point, but not in years. I recently ran it on Slackware-current, not expecting it to work out of the box, but it did.

------------------------------

Now, as for Unreal Tournament 4 from https://www.epicgames.com/unrealtour...-notes-june-28

That should run if you:

Code:
cd LinuxNoEditor/Engine/Binaries/Linux
./UE4-Linux-Shipping UnrealTournament
It WILL just segfault, if you don't specify the project the engine is using.

Also, it will just sit there on a black screen if you don't have GConf (provided by slackware), it dlopens it, but it's a dependency.

P.S. Don't forget to set UE4-Linux-Shipping executable after unpacking, it's a zip file so permissions aren't stored.

Last edited by TheRealGrogan; 12-31-2019 at 07:39 PM.

Old 12-31-2019, 10:16 PM   #4
dugan
LQ Guru

Distribution: distro hopper

Rep: Reputation: 5322Reputation: 5322Reputation: 5322Reputation: 5322Reputation: 5322Reputation: 5322Reputation: 5322Reputation: 5322Reputation: 5322Reputation: 5322Reputation: 5322
I have no advice for the new Unreal Tournament, but for 2004? I'd try to run the Windows version in WINE with dgVoodoo2 and DXVK.

Old 01-01-2020, 12:15 AM   #5
andrew.46

Distribution: Slackware

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 493Reputation: 493Reputation: 493Reputation: 493Reputation: 493
I have taken advice from all respondents here:
  1. I have managed to get the very latest version running by making all of the executables in LinuxNoEditor/Engine/Binaries/Linux/ executable as well as using the starting command correctly: ./UE4-Linux-Shipping UnrealTournament. Now it just remains to sort the game itself out and package it correctly for my own use...
  2. I paid the princely sum of $3.69 AUS from GOG for Unreal Tournament 2004 Editor's Choice Edition and I will set this up courtesy of the nice script at SBo and the instructions on Slackware doc.

There is another heatwave coming this Saturday with a top of 42° Celcius, 105.8° Fahrenheit, so barring even more bushfires (Australia is burning at the moment) I will lock myself inside with the air con and get some serious gaming done