LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > CentOS
User Name
Password
CentOS This forum is for the discussion of CentOS Linux. Note: This forum does not have any official participation.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 09-16-2017, 12:30 PM   #1
KenJackson

Distribution: Fedora and others

Rep: Reputation: 145Reputation: 145
Repo containing "keychain" and "mplayer" packages?

I'm new to CentOS and I can't find several packages that I've come to depend on, including keychain and mplayer.

Are there any repos anywhere that have them?

Old 09-16-2017, 12:53 PM   #2
wpeckham
LQ Guru

Distribution: Debian, Ubuntu, RedHat, DSL, Puppy, CentOS, Knoppix, Mint-DE, Sparky, VSIDO, tinycore, Q4OS, Manjaro

Rep: Reputation: 2713Reputation: 2713Reputation: 2713Reputation: 2713Reputation: 2713Reputation: 2713Reputation: 2713Reputation: 2713Reputation: 2713Reputation: 2713Reputation: 2713
Search (Google or DuckDuckGo) for EPEL repo for instructions on how to add it to CentOS.

This link MAY help http://www.elinuxbook.com/install-mplayer-in-linux/

There are a couple of packages called "keychain" in different environments, but if you mean the access control script to assist with SSH connections [url]https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/ssh-passwordless-login-with-keychain-for-scripts/[/url may help.

PS: neither of these took me more than 15 seconds to find. Learn to use your search engines and you find power!

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-16-2017, 01:26 PM   #3
KenJackson

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpeckham View Post
Search (Google or DuckDuckGo) ...
PS: neither of these took me more than 15 seconds to find. Learn to use your search engines and you find power!
Saying that indicates you're awfully quick to assume that I'm ignorant.

I've already done these commands, which made a bunch of stuff available, but neither package mentioned is available:
Code:
sudo yum --enablerepo=extras install centos-release-scl
sudo yum --enablerepo=extras install epel-release
sudo rpm --import https://www.elrepo.org/RPM-GPG-KEY-elrepo.org
sudo rpm -Uvh https://www.elrepo.org/elrepo-release-7.0-3.el7.elrepo.noarch.rpm
Note that I didn't ask how to install either package independent of a CentOS repo. (I've done that in years past.) My question specifically asked about a CentOS repo. I suspect these common packages ARE available in some repo but I just haven't found it or enabled it correctly. Thus the question.

In your haste to google, did you first check yum to see if you have access to them in a repo?

Old 09-17-2017, 08:59 AM   #4
wpeckham
LQ Guru

Distribution: Debian, Ubuntu, RedHat, DSL, Puppy, CentOS, Knoppix, Mint-DE, Sparky, VSIDO, tinycore, Q4OS, Manjaro

Rep: Reputation: 2713Reputation: 2713Reputation: 2713Reputation: 2713Reputation: 2713Reputation: 2713Reputation: 2713Reputation: 2713Reputation: 2713Reputation: 2713Reputation: 2713
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenJackson View Post
Saying that indicates you're awfully quick to assume that I'm ignorant.

I've already done these commands, which made a bunch of stuff available, but neither package mentioned is available:
Code:
sudo yum --enablerepo=extras install centos-release-scl
sudo yum --enablerepo=extras install epel-release
sudo rpm --import https://www.elrepo.org/RPM-GPG-KEY-elrepo.org
sudo rpm -Uvh https://www.elrepo.org/elrepo-release-7.0-3.el7.elrepo.noarch.rpm
Note that I didn't ask how to install either package independent of a CentOS repo. (I've done that in years past.) My question specifically asked about a CentOS repo. I suspect these common packages ARE available in some repo but I just haven't found it or enabled it correctly. Thus the question.

In your haste to google, did you first check yum to see if you have access to them in a repo?
It seems that you did not check, or did not understand, the pages I liked you to. Each of them installed the described software by first adding a REPO that is compatible with RHEL and CENTOS specifically. In one case was NOT among the repos you mention in your code block above. Please have another look and see if there is something there that will help.

PS: I am currently running Q4OS, and find "mplayer2" and "keychain" in my software lists. My sources include all of the Jessie regular, stable, backports, including contrib and non-free. While Debian has a huge software base that does outstrip the RHEL and CentOS options,these are well established packages that I would expect to install in CentOS easily. Do not give up easily.

Last edited by wpeckham; 09-17-2017 at 09:19 AM.

Old 09-18-2017, 01:57 AM   #5
jsbjsb001

Distribution: Currently: OpenMandriva. Previously: openSUSE, PCLinuxOS, CentOS, among others over the years.

Rep: Reputation: 2063Reputation: 2063Reputation: 2063Reputation: 2063Reputation: 2063Reputation: 2063Reputation: 2063Reputation: 2063Reputation: 2063Reputation: 2063Reputation: 2063
wpeckham is correct, you may also need to add the 'Nux Dextop' repo as well to get mplayer. I have it installed on my CentOS 7 installation.

Old 09-18-2017, 11:49 AM   #6
KenJackson

Original Poster
keychain is in Psychotic Ninja EL.
mplayer is in RPM Fusion.

Old 09-18-2017, 11:57 AM   #7
jsbjsb001

Distribution: Currently: OpenMandriva. Previously: openSUSE, PCLinuxOS, CentOS, among others over the years.

Rep: Reputation: 2063Reputation: 2063Reputation: 2063Reputation: 2063Reputation: 2063Reputation: 2063Reputation: 2063Reputation: 2063Reputation: 2063Reputation: 2063Reputation: 2063
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenJackson View Post
keychain is in Psychotic Ninja EL.
mplayer is in RPM Fusion.
Not sure you should use those repo's? You might want to look at this: https://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalRe...s/Repositories

Also, these are the repo's I have (with mplayer installed, once again);

Code:
[root@localhost ~]# yum repolist
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, langpacks
Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile
 * base: mirror.aarnet.edu.au
 * elrepo: syd.mirror.rackspace.com
 * epel: mirror.as24220.net
 * extras: mirror.optus.net
 * nux-dextop: mirror.li.nux.ro
 * remi-safe: remi.conetix.com.au
 * updates: mirror.optus.net
repo id                                  repo name                                                                        status
base/7/x86_64                            CentOS-7 - Base                                                                   9,591
elrepo                                   ELRepo.org Community Enterprise Linux Repository - el7                              225
epel/x86_64                              Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux 7 - x86_64                                   11,948
extras/7/x86_64                          CentOS-7 - Extras                                                                   196
nux-dextop/x86_64                        Nux.Ro RPMs for general desktop use                                               2,491
remi-safe                                Safe Remi's RPM repository for Enterprise Linux 7 - x86_64                        2,509
updates/7/x86_64                         CentOS-7 - Updates                                                                  673
virtualbox/7/x86_64                      Oracle Linux / RHEL / CentOS-7 / x86_64 - VirtualBox                                 42
repolist: 27,675
Also;

Code:
[root@localhost ~]# yum list mplayer
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, langpacks
Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile
 * base: mirror.aarnet.edu.au
 * elrepo: syd.mirror.rackspace.com
 * epel: mirror.as24220.net
 * extras: mirror.optus.net
 * nux-dextop: mirror.li.nux.ro
 * remi-safe: remi.conetix.com.au
 * updates: mirror.optus.net
Installed Packages
mplayer.x86_64                                      1.1-33.20150505svn.el7.nux                                       @nux-dextop

Last edited by jsbjsb001; 09-18-2017 at 12:43 PM. Reason: changed wording

Old 09-18-2017, 01:01 PM   #8
KenJackson

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbjsb001 View Post
That's that page that prompted me to post the question in the first place. The shear number of repositories concerns me as I'm skeptical about how well they could possibly coexist without conflict.

Also, comments like these left me a little queasy. (And I'm even ignoring the five in the "Known Problem Repositories" category.) The main reason I wanted to move to CentOS is because I want stability and am willing to give up the latest developments.
Quote:
Many of these are also supplied by other repos as drop-in replacements for the distro versions and ...
Quote:
Packages should not replace base, although there have been issues around point releases in the past.
Quote:
Packages that overwrite base should only be in the [gf-plus] repository.
Quote:
Known to replace base packages.

Old 09-18-2017, 01:16 PM   #9
jsbjsb001

While it does say in that same link I give you; "Recent and extremely limited support for CentOS 7 has been added" (for the RPM Fusion repo), I did not know that repo was supported for CentOS 7.

So now you have me wondering as well...

Old 09-19-2017, 04:53 AM   #10
wpeckham
LQ Guru

Some of the EXTRA repos have been problematic in the past, and using them has replaced base packages of the same name causing issues. The major ones, including EPEL, are very careful to name their packages so that they are different from the ones in the core repos. In other words, you will never replace core packages with ones from these extra repos unless you choose to do so and manually request the packages to accomplish that goal.

There are repos that support only a limited selection of packages for one particular purpose or application, and those also have no conflict with the core packages EXCEPT when it comes to the application they exist to provide.