LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Networking
User Name
Password
Linux - Networking This forum is for any issue related to networks or networking.
Routing, network cards, OSI, etc. Anything is fair game.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 01-13-2020, 04:36 PM   #16
LT72884

Original Poster

Rep: Reputation: Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbocapitalist View Post
What does Vista10 have in any way to do with GNU/Linux here?
I dont see your point? i was making a "general" statement about some users using win 10 to connect to a remote host when they dont have admin rights.

With stunnel, have you used that before? I am wondering if this will allow me to do the tests on my nix server that i want to do.

Old 01-13-2020, 04:45 PM   #17
LT72884

Original Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevendogsbsd View Post
OP: better off asking in a windows forums or seeing if there is a portable VPN that can be used on a thumb drive.
Please read post #10

no vpn can ever be portable. it requires admin rights to install drivers regardless of OS. That is why i am looking for a tcp tunneler that runs off of usb, plays nice with both nix and windows.

instead of you guys bashing me for using windows when i have to, maybe try and help solve the problem. Yes, in the real world, users do use windows and some use nix systems.

so, back to my issue. The firewall seems to be blocking at the protocol level. that is what it was configured to do. I am now trying to test it using a portable usb software that somehow creates a tcp tunnel between the client(windows 10) and the server without the need to install a driver, thus allowing persons whom have access to said server, a way to ssh to the server to use sftp to download files.

Old 01-13-2020, 11:33 PM   #18
Turbocapitalist
LQ Guru

Distribution: Linux Mint, Devuan, OpenBSD

Rep: Reputation: 3721Reputation: 3721Reputation: 3721Reputation: 3721Reputation: 3721Reputation: 3721Reputation: 3721Reputation: 3721Reputation: 3721Reputation: 3721Reputation: 3721
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT72884 View Post
I dont see your point? i was making a "general" statement about some users using win 10 to connect to a remote host when they dont have admin rights.

With stunnel, have you used that before? I am wondering if this will allow me to do the tests on my nix server that i want to do.
No you are not asking general advice you are trolling a Linux forum asking for advice on a legacy OS, namely Vista10.

Yes, I have used stunnel.

Out.

Old 01-14-2020, 01:21 AM   #19
LT72884

Original Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbocapitalist View Post
No you are not asking general advice you are trolling a Linux forum asking for advice on a legacy OS, namely Vista10.

Yes, I have used stunnel.

Out.
i dont think you understand the definition of trolling. In fact, you answered a question that i was going to post later in a different place and i quote:

"I wish there was a usb tcp tunneling app that ran on windows. that would solve another issue haha

thanks for your help and time"

you then proceeded to help and give me much needed advice about using stunnel and corkscrew, all in which i thanked you for.. then you turn around and post

"What does Vista10 have in any way to do with GNU/Linux here?" that, my friend, is the troll. not me. So dont give answers to someone then turn around and cuss them out for it.. un-professional

My OP had NOTHING to do with windows 10, which is actually a different kernel of vista. I just made a blanket statement about users using win10 once the conversation about stunnel and corckscrew came up. i was HOPING to get some professional help here about how to solve an ongoing issue that doesnt just effect the nix users, but also the win10 users, because guess what... real networks consist of BOTH os's, not just nix based systems. But from previous posts i have read on here while searching, this forum is VERY biased and tells people to "nuke" there windows system and just use linux.

I understand this is strictly linux only, but your gonna get networks that are a mixture of both, not just one or the other...

again, thanks for the time and advice given about the other apps. I will further my search and help else where.

Old 01-14-2020, 08:09 AM   #20
sevendogsbsd

Distribution: FreeBSD

Rep: Reputation: 1011Reputation: 1011Reputation: 1011Reputation: 1011Reputation: 1011Reputation: 1011Reputation: 1011Reputation: 1011
I wasn't bashing OP, just trying to point out that you are looking for a 100% Windows solution. I realize your far end is Linux but the specific solution you were looking for is to have a portable secure connection on a thumb drive, specifically for use with Windows clients. The thumb drive can't have an OS on it but some sort of special software, which only runs in Windows. This is a Linux forum so thus the push back on the solution. Make sense?

Old 01-28-2020, 04:25 PM   #21
comfourm99
LQ Newbie

Ok, i just attempted the scanssh and its now not yielding the results im looking for. I dont even recognize if what im seeking out exists, but i swear it did lower back within the day. Being able to wrap the ssh protocol in some other protocolcleaner[/URL] to test DPI structures.. Or ship raw ssh to a test firewall and notice the output from the raw packet sender stating if the packets had been dropped or handed.

Old 01-28-2020, 04:25 PM   #22
comfourm99
LQ Newbie

Ok, i just attempted the scanssh and its now not yielding the results im looking for. I dont even recognize if what im seeking out exists, but i swear it did lower back within the day. Being able to wrap the ssh protocol in some other protocolcleaner to test DPI structures.. Or ship raw ssh to a test firewall and notice the output from the raw packet sender stating if the packets had been dropped or handed.