LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > SUSE / openSUSE
User Name
Password
SUSE / openSUSE This Forum is for the discussion of Suse Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 08-08-2019, 03:27 AM   #1
rahulrai
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Problem in LDAP User Password Encryption

Hi,

I configured LDAP Server on Ubuntu 16.04 and I have an OpenSuse 15.01 which is used as client OS. I configured the client on OpenSuse 15.01 and after login, as Ldap User I changed the password of the current login user. But when I checked from ldapadmin tool the password of the user is in clear text it's not in encrypted form.

And also in phpldapadmin when I'm checking Ldap User password. The password option is in clear and when I change it in SHA512 or SHA and click on update then it shows You made no changes Go back.

So how can I change user login as LDAP User in SUSE and change password in encrypted form?

Last edited by rahulrai; 08-08-2019 at 03:55 AM.

Old 08-17-2019, 03:17 PM   #2
computer_freak_8

Distribution: Ubuntu and Fedora, mostly

Rep: Reputation: 15
Without seeing the config files it's kind of hard to say. It does appear that storing in cleartext can be by design in some cases. http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/...ppasswd.8.html
^ look under "limitations"

Also note that SHA/SHA512 are hashed, not encrypted. If you've enabled encryption options, that's probably for transport, and not affecting the storage.