LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 09-12-2019, 12:12 PM   #1
Bloodshot
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Mint Mate 19.2

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Wink Could not launch JNLP file. The application has not been initialized

When trying to run .jnlp files on a fresh install of Mint Mate 19.2 64-bit I got:

Fatal Error Could not launch JNLP file. The application has not been initialized, for more info....

ugh..

My found solution was to point the .jnlp toward something that worked:

- download jre-8u211-linux-x64.tar.gz from java website <-- something that works
- extract the tarball contents to the /ect folder - where java-11-openjdk was <-- something that didn't work
- open terminal and execute -$ javaws -viewer
- click "Launch full settings" bottom left
- then "JVM Settings" on left
- ensure "Validate JRE Immediately" is checked
- then "Browse for JVM for IcedTea-Web" (this package was already installed) and found the folder I extracted
- highlight the folder - not a file - and click "Open"
- it took a few tries for me - got ugly red - but eventually lovely green text validated the paths
- clicked "Apply" and I got a warning that IcedTea might break - the paths looked good so clicked "ok" and "apply" until I was all the way out.

Finally:

- in terminal execute the filename, which in my case was $ javaws NetStation.jnlp

With IcedTea pointed in the right direction, I got the usual prompts and was off and running.
** edit - launching with terminal results in the IcedTea splash screen followed by nothing on a second machine with the same problem. Double-clicking the file on my desktop when the distance. **

Hopefully this helps someone out there.
Apologies if this is incomplete, has been covered elsewhere, or my directions are less than all inclusive.
Still learning.
Please, feel free to expand on this as needed.

Last edited by Bloodshot; 09-14-2019 at 12:51 PM. Reason: New information

Old 09-14-2019, 09:47 AM   #2
ondoho
LQ Addict

Rep: Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053
Thanks for sharing this. Could you mark it SOLVED please? Thanks.