LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Server
User Name
Password
Linux - Server This forum is for the discussion of Linux Software used in a server related context.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 08-05-2020, 09:36 AM   #1
dr-ing
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Bind-DNS: Use a public domain as internal zone, but lookup unknown subdomains on a public dns server

Hello,

as mentioned in the title I use Bind-DNS as my local DNS server.
For this I have two zones, example.local and example.com.
The second one is actually my public domain name, but I use it for a few internal subdomains so that my publicly valid wildcard certificate is valid and the internal subdomains thus have an SSL certificate accepted by all devices and browsers (which I need for a few devices that only accept a valid SSL certificate).

The problem is: Since I have the example.com zone, it resolves the registered hosts (local.example.com,int.example.com), but not the public hosts that I have registered over my domain name provider, for example: example.com or ext.example.com, because they are probably not included in the zone file. If I add them as well, my bind-dns server can resolve them without problems.

My "goal" is that if bind-dns cannot find the subdomain in the zone files, it will forward the request to a public dns server (which I have configured in the named.conf.options file?)

The example.com zone looks similar to this:
Code:
;
;
$TTL	86400 
;
@	IN	SOA	example.com. admin.example.com. (
		     2020071401		; Serial
			 604800		; Refresh
			  86400		; Retry
			2419200		; Expire
			  86400 )	; Negative Cache TTL
; name servers
			IN	NS	ns1.example.com.
;
; A records
local.example.com.	IN	A	10.0.100.2
int.example.com.	IN	A	10.0.100.3
My named.conf.local:
Code:
// example.com
zone "example.com" {
	type master;
	file "/var/cache/bind/db.example.com";
};
And my named.conf.options:
Code:
acl "trusted" {
	10.0.100.0/24;
};

options {
	directory "/var/cache/bind";

recursion yes;
	allow-recursion { trusted; };
	listen-on { 127.0.0.1; 172.24.0.2; };
	allow-transfer { none; };

forwarders {
		1.1.1.1;
		8.8.8.8;
		1.0.0.1;
		8.8.4.4;
	};

dnssec-validation auto;

auth-nxdomain no;    # conform to RFC1035
	listen-on-v6 { none; };
};
TIA,
dr-ing.

Old 08-06-2020, 11:20 AM   #2
smallpond

Distribution: Fedora

Rep: Reputation: 1263Reputation: 1263Reputation: 1263Reputation: 1263Reputation: 1263Reputation: 1263Reputation: 1263Reputation: 1263Reputation: 1263
Generally, there is one authoritative nameserver for a domain. I don't think bind has any option for forwarding requests if it is authoritative for a zone. Simplest is to put all of the internal sites on a separate subdomain, and all of the publicly accessible sites on your ISP nameserver. If you want a separate internal nameserver that knows additional hosts on the public domain, then you will need to manually maintain the two copies and make sure that the internal sites use the internal nameserver. That can get interesting if you are using VPNs or doing updates from DHCP.

Tags
bind, bind9, dns, dnsserver