LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Puppy
User Name
Password
Puppy This forum is for the discussion of Puppy Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 08-17-2017, 03:24 PM   #1
neolith
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Angry Flash player plugin error message

Linux puppy slacko 6.3, 32 bit, intel processor

when opening firefox, I get the message
"currently, Flash player plugin v11.2.202.540 is installed. It is recommended to install the latest version available (v)"

As recommended, I go to menu->internet->Get Flash.... and the above version is the latest one (on top there is also a "flashplayer - i686 (unknown size) -latest version available... but mine is an i386, which I have already installed). I tried going to flashplayer, but got nowhere

If this is a problem, it also reflects to my firefox, which calls for updating... and when I try, I end up with the above message again and I cannot update.

The alternative, would be to download Google Chrome and see what happens (and get rid of Firefox altogether)

Any suggestions?

Old 08-17-2017, 07:35 PM   #2
frankbell
LQ Guru

Distribution: Slackware, Ubuntu MATE, Mageia, and whatever VMs I happen to be playing with

Rep: Reputation: 6142Reputation: 6142Reputation: 6142Reputation: 6142Reputation: 6142Reputation: 6142Reputation: 6142Reputation: 6142Reputation: 6142Reputation: 6142Reputation: 6142
Firefox is actively hostile to Flash and trying to make it go away. They will block it unless you unblock it and display the "update" message even when no updated version for Linux is available.

You can download the lastest version for Linux from the Adobe website in *.tar.gz format, decompress it, and, as root, move libflashplayer.so to /usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins. That has always worked for me.

Note that, if you are not using 64-bit architecture, the path will be /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins.

Last edited by frankbell; 08-17-2017 at 08:14 PM. Reason: clarity

Old 08-19-2017, 08:24 AM   #3
Mike_Walsh

Distribution: Nowt but Puppies....

Rep: Reputation: 362Reputation: 362Reputation: 362Reputation: 362
Hallo, neolith.

Mm. Frank's recommendation about getting the tar.gz for Flash does hold water. However, this is a recurring problem with Puppy, caused, 9 times out of 10, by Adobe playing what I think of as 'musical URLs'. They keep changing the download location.

This invariably means that Puppy's 'Get Flash' app keeps falling flat on its face.

It looks like you're still using the old, 11-series FlashPlayer; this has been superceded, since the Linux FlashPlayer was brought into line with the rest of Adobe's FlashPlayers (including Chrome's PepperFlash), nearly a year ago. It also looks like you've still got one of the older variants of 'GetFlash' itself.

The current version of FlashPlayer should be 26.0.0.151.

------------------------------------------

Two of our Puppy Forum members, rerwin (who maintains Lucid Puppy, and is a staunch SeaMonkey user), and Geoffrey, are fighting a constant battle with Adobe, since the change of download URL means that the app needs almost constant patching and re-issuing.

The current, working version of 'Get Flash' can be found here:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/vie...=960815#960815

You might also be interested in Geoffrey's 'Flash Auto-updater':-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=100523

This only caters for the 32-bit version.....which, from the look of things, is what you want anyway. If you ever need the 64-bit version, 'GetFlash' caters for both.

Finally, a third Puppy forum member, OscarTalks, maintains a series of stand-alone, 'click to install' .pets for the Adobe FlashPlayer, and rigorously keeps these up-to-date.....and I produce a series of PepperFlash .pets. Puppy users are not short of options!

------------------------------------------

Like most Linux users, Puppians do all they can to avoid having to use FlashPlayer at all, if it can be avoided; most of us use HTML5 where we can, although certain sites insist on using Adobe's product.....so it's always an idea to keep a version hanging around for at least these occasions.

One of our senior coding 'gurus', rcrsn51 (better known to all as 'Bill') who has written many of the small utilities that come as standard with all Pups nowadays (including the pEasy series of utilities), has written a small tray applet that turns FlashPlayer 'on' or 'off', if you want to use HTML5 instead. You can find it here:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=97663

I myself have modified this for the different path required for PepperFlash in the Chromium-based browsers.
----------------------------------------------------

Let us know if any of that lot helps, please. And remember.....Franks' manual 'workaround' will always succeed if all else fails!

Mike.

Last edited by Mike_Walsh; 08-19-2017 at 11:19 AM.

Old 08-19-2017, 10:46 AM   #4
LQ Addict

Distribution: Debian Sid AMD64, Raspbian Wheezy, various VMs

Rep: Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373
Erm... unless your processor is from 1994 it's likely "i686" -- try it?