LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > LinuxQuestions.org > LinuxQuestions.org Member Intro
User Name
Password
LinuxQuestions.org Member Intro New to LinuxQuestions.org? Been a long time member but never made a post? Introduce yourself here.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 07-29-2020, 11:12 PM   #1
alex4buba

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Just had enough of Windows...

Hello new friends,

Decided and executed... Installed Ubunto 20.04
Learning the tricks as I go...
A lot of things...
Hope to find some help here.

Thanks
Alex

Old 07-29-2020, 11:40 PM   #2
Patsie
LQ Newbie

Welcome Alex,

I'm sure you'll have lots of pleasure exploring Ubuntu

Old 07-30-2020, 10:45 AM   #3
mochsner
LQ Newbie

Hi Alex,

Can definitely relate here.

From using Windows in school and working with the servers, I just think the CLI-focused and transparent nature of Linux seems to just be an overall better experience, ESPECIALLY in the server realm of things. Your experience with Linux should go a long way!

**sarcasm** ...Not that I don't like the back-and-forth of Microsoft support **sarcasm**

Old 07-30-2020, 01:49 PM   #4
linustalman
LQ Guru

Distribution: Debian 12 Bookworm

Rep: Reputation: 479Reputation: 479Reputation: 479Reputation: 479Reputation: 479
Greetings, Alex, and welcome to LQ!

Old 08-01-2020, 01:35 AM   #5
greencedar

Distribution: Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa & 19.3 Tricia

Rep: Reputation: 128Reputation: 128
Hello Alex and welcome to the LQ forum. As with you, a lot of us are fed up with MS and their shenanigans (I am being overly polite).

Old 08-01-2020, 01:59 AM   #6
alex4buba

Original Poster
Thanks good people, I have a long way to learn all the new terminology, after working with DOS / Windows for the past 30+ years...
Yes, I am a 75 years "Young" IT retired guy...

Cheers
Alex

Old 08-02-2020, 07:47 PM   #7
cipherjones
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Mint 20

Welcome. New member here but I've been doing it (running linux) for a while. Ubuntu should be able to replace your Windows unless you are doing serious gaming. Other than that, you should be be able to find a package/solution for just about everything in there. SO much stuff works "out of the box" these days.

Old 08-02-2020, 08:42 PM   #8
alex4buba

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by cipherjones View Post
Welcome. New member here but I've been doing it (running linux) for a while. Ubuntu should be able to replace your Windows unless you are doing serious gaming. Other than that, you should be be able to find a package/solution for just about everything in there. SO much stuff works "out of the box" these days.
As more people welcome me here, I am happy... Thanks
I am a retired c++ programmer and website developer, not doing any games...

I am using a video conferencing package called LifeSize, but just found out that unlike Zoom, it doesn't offer a Linux version and using it through the browser, is missing the Screen-sharing option... I installed Wine, but it doesn't like the Windows app. Obviously, Wine has a list of apps it currently supports and LifeSize is not one of them.

My previous problem was with transferring my Outlook emails to it, but I figured it out and it works fine using Evolution. I may consider using VirtualBox for the LifeSize app, but it will be slow (from previous experience).

Cheers
Alex

Old 08-02-2020, 09:35 PM   #9
frankbell
LQ Guru

Distribution: Slackware, Ubuntu MATE, Mageia, and whatever VMs I happen to be playing with

Rep: Reputation: 6145Reputation: 6145Reputation: 6145Reputation: 6145Reputation: 6145Reputation: 6145Reputation: 6145Reputation: 6145Reputation: 6145Reputation: 6145Reputation: 6145
Welcome to LQ.

If you are an old DOSsie, like me, you should be comfortable with the command line. The command line is your friend.

Linux is not hard. It's just different.

Old 08-02-2020, 10:44 PM   #10
alex4buba

Original Poster
I am an old Dossie as you call it, but
1) after 30 years in Windows, with much less command line interaction, I got out of this mode.
2) The main disturbing fact for me at this stage is in the following:
a) not having a defined application base, I am looking for an app, or ask a question explicitly on Ubuntu 20.04 but get most referrences to other versions and when trying to use, I get blocked because they are for older versions of Ubuntu.
2) installing new apps, bombs out in many cases because of prerequisites, which my machine doesn't have, nor are those prerequisites mentioned ahead...
3) Many versions of Linux, makes it harder too.

Is there in the one central place to find the correct solution for any of my above comments?

Cheers
Alex

Tags
evolution, gmail, import, outlook, pop3