LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Linux Mint
User Name
Password
Linux Mint This forum is for the discussion of Linux Mint.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 08-18-2017, 06:38 AM   #16
hydrurga
LQ Guru

Distribution: Linux Mint 21 MATE

Rep: Reputation: 2925Reputation: 2925Reputation: 2925Reputation: 2925Reputation: 2925Reputation: 2925Reputation: 2925Reputation: 2925Reputation: 2925Reputation: 2925Reputation: 2925

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ifeyegnuhow View Post
hydrurga,

I must apologize for the way I replied to you it wasn't meant to be snarky, I was just thinking out loud " wish I'd known...etc. Not very nice wasn't intended that way.

Yes Acronis has been a wonderful savior for me on many occasions. Why didn't I simply use it when we were trying to get the old kernel to stay put you ask? Well I was too lame to remember I had just made a backup image 2 weeks prior. Normally I back up the whole drive every Saturday. But the last time I tried to use an image it not only hosed W7 but it got Mint too! So I was gun-shy you could say. I thought " well the kernel is messed up already I don't think I can hurt it much by trying it!" It worked fine like it always does, why it took me off the rails weeks back I have no idea. I did explore the settings in Acronis and for some reason the 'custom' set up I use had a number of the parameters changed to something other than what I normally use. How they got that way is still a mystery, I have a problem with W7 where it gets a "TDR" error and the screen goes blank for 2 secs then recovers. I know I am not in a W7 forum so I won't elaborate. It's possible though unlikely that error changed Acronis, I don't know.

I realize that all you guys devote your time to help blokes like me who don't know jack, and you do it for no reason other than to be helpful. Don't think for one minute I don't appreciate it, I most certainly do! You have nothing to apologize for you are fortunate to have a job. I have been disabled since 1994 and haven't worked a day since my last injury, now I am 70 years old and chances of any gainful employment are slim to none. But I am thankful for what I have not what I don't, there are plenty who are far worse off than I.

I hate to muck things up like I did with the kernel, but I am a troubleshooter and just like things to be right. So I wanted to see if the kernel change would help the sound loss, it didn't sadly enough. It does puzzle me that when I type 'alsamixer' and look at the choices of sound cards, the one in use is called 'default' the next one is HD audio and I forget the third one. It's true that my mobo has an HD Audio / SupremeFX X-fi sound card in it's own PCI slot. I'd think that would be the default one.

As far as having a cheat sheet for commands that's a good idea, the hell of it is that you end up with a whole list of things you don't use after you've used them once. Still it makes sense. I have a head full of DOS commands and Windows going back to v3.0 LOL. Now I have Win 7, LuBuntu, Mint, and 2 Android cell phones to deal with. It gets worse rather than better.<sigh>

Welcome back and be safe when you are on the road.

Regards,

"If"

PS: using the live DVD for Mint 17.3 if it's not going to play nice with my hardware will it be obvious or must I install it to find out it won't work?
Don't worry - I didn't interpret anything you said in a negative light at all. My sole consideration is trying to find out how a particular problem can be solved to the satisfaction of everyone involved (and that doesn't happen as frequently as I would like - I still have a lot to learn).

You did things the right way. Try small fixes and only look at larger fixes if those don't work. Escalating responses as required. I can't help you with Acronis though as my imager of choice is Macrium Reflect.

My travelling wasn't to do with work, I'm pleased to say - I was taking in the sights and sounds of the Edinburgh Festival!

So, we still have the problem of the loss of sound when resuming from sleep (presumably, as opposed to hibernation). Yes, give the Mint 7.3 disk a whirl. Even give a 8.2 disk a try. If you don't experience the problem with either/both then you could create a new partition and install the new version of Mint to that partition to carry out a more thorough test.

Old 08-18-2017, 10:16 AM   #17
Ifeyegnuhow

Distribution: Win 7 64 / Linux Mint Rafaela

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Thumbs up Ok on all

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrurga View Post
Don't worry - I didn't interpret anything you said in a negative light at all. My sole consideration is trying to find out how a particular problem can be solved to the satisfaction of everyone involved (and that doesn't happen as frequently as I would like - I still have a lot to learn).

You did things the right way. Try small fixes and only look at larger fixes if those don't work. Escalating responses as required. I can't help you with Acronis though as my imager of choice is Macrium Reflect.

My travelling wasn't to do with work, I'm pleased to say - I was taking in the sights and sounds of the Edinburgh Festival!

So, we still have the problem of the loss of sound when resuming from sleep (presumably, as opposed to hibernation). Yes, give the Mint 7.3 disk a whirl. Even give a 8.2 disk a try. If you don't experience the problem with either/both then you could create a new partition and install the new version of Mint to that partition to carry out a more thorough test.
Well now, Edinburgh, as in Scotland? I've never been but have and had many UK friends, one in Matlock, in the Peak District and then in Gosport on the South coast. Also have one in NSW in Oz who was from England. The internet sure makes the world smaller doesn't it? I met all of them using amateur radio.

I know a lot of guys use Macrium Reflect with good success, I got started with Acronis years back and it's been very good to me all in all. The glitch that hammered me was of my own doing, I made the mistake of trying to replace Grub and the 7 bootloader as well as the just Mint, which is all I would have needed. Oh well it's working now.

Yes I use the S-3 (standby) in the BIOS and coming out of it is where I lose the audio. I don't use hibernate in either OS, they say it's not the best if you have an SSD, too many read/write cycles.

I'm in the process of looking for a driver for the sound card that will work in Linux, plus using the 7.3 Live DVD. If I was to install it does it overwrite all the installed programs I have and any mods to the system? So far the 17.3 is working fine I don't see any errant behaviour so far....but I can wait and see, no hurry to get into another schamozzle!

Of course I can work around the sound going off by simply shutting the machine off each time. I always have sound from a cold boot, it never effects W7 just Mint.

the sound card is a SupremeFX X-fi by Creative and came with the Asus motherboard, not part of the board however.

Code:
inxi -Fxz
System: Host: COLOSSUS-2 Kernel: 3.13.0-24-generic x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.8.2)
Desktop: Cinnamon 2.6.13 Distro: Linux Mint 17.2 Rafaela
Machine: Mobo: ASUSTeK model: Rampage Extreme version: Rev 2.xx Bios: American Megatrends version: 1202 date: 06/18/2009
CPU: Quad core Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q6600 (-MCP-) cache: 4096 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 19201.6
Clock Speeds: 1: 2400.202 MHz 2: 2400.202 MHz 3: 2400.202 MHz 4: 2400.202 MHz
Graphics: Card: NVIDIA GM107 [GeForce GTX 750 Ti] bus-ID: 01:00.0
X.Org: 1.15.1 drivers: nvidia (unloaded: fbdev,vesa,nouveau) Resolution: 1920x1080@60.0hz
GLX Renderer: GeForce GTX 750 Ti/PCIe/SSE2 GLX Version: 4.4.0 NVIDIA 340.102 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio: Card-1: NVIDIA Device 0fbc driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 01:00.1 Sound: ALSA ver: k3.13.0-24-generic
Card-2: Intel 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
Network: Card-1: Marvell 88E8056 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller driver: sky2 ver: 1.30 port: c800 bus-ID: 03:00.0
IF: eth1 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Card-2: Marvell 88E8056 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller driver: sky2 ver: 1.30 port: d800 bus-ID: 04:00.0
IF: eth0 state: down mac: <filter>
Drives: HDD Total Size: 740.2GB (2.4% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: INTEL_SSDSC2BW24 size: 240.1GB
2: id: /dev/sdb model: WDC_WD5000AAKX size: 500.1GB
Partition: ID: / size: 59G used: 17G (30%) fs: ext4 ID: swap-1 size: 6.15GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap
RAID: No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 55.5C mobo: 35.0C psu: 41.0 gpu: 0.0:42C
Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: 2812
Info: Processes: 312 Uptime: 18:38 Memory: 1232.7/7984.8MB Runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.8.4
Client: Shell (bash 4.3.11) inxi: 1.9.17

Note there is no Creative SupremeFX X-fi card even listed....The graphics card was recently replaced in an effort to stop a problem in W7, it didn't. But during the install I was asked to install HD sound drivers and didn't do it since I have an audio card already. But, I DO have sound, it just goes away at times when I wake up the machine. I'd think if it needed a driver there'd be no sound at all until one was installed. So where is the sound coming from? Others who have the same sound card and run that command, are able to indicate by the results that the card is installed.

Cheers,

"If"

Last edited by Ifeyegnuhow; 08-18-2017 at 11:32 AM.

Old 08-25-2017, 06:50 PM   #18
Ifeyegnuhow

Distribution: Win 7 64 / Linux Mint Rafaela

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
I am still losing sound after 'standby' is inititated

What can I do to fix the audio stopping after the machine is on standby? I had a posting in this forum for over 1 year and not a soul replied to it with even a thought of the cause. Amazing!

I know you all are volunteers and don't get a dime except for a kind word at times when you rack your brains for a solution to a problem, that's all understood. You all have been very patient with me and the kernel change business and I appreciate it!

But I refuse to believe that I am the only blighter in the world using Mint 17.3 and has a problem with the audio dropping out after a time of being on standby.

I have done all I know how to do and explained the problem the best way I know how...what more can I or should I have done to elicit a response and possible solution?

One thing we can be certain of it's not the kernel. Maybe it's an unreported bug? (doubtful) Research that I have done sometimes points to "Pulse Audio' being the culprit for those who have NO sound at all, I do not have PA installed on this machine anywhere.

FWIW there is a specific forum just for Mint................. and wait for it............... THEY don't know either!! <sigh> My upgrade to 17.3 is working fine all except for that darned sound problem..

Using:

Code:
inxi -Frxz
I get this information (edited to save space)

Audio: Card-1 NVIDIA Device 0fbc driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 01:00.1
Card-2 Intel 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller
driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0

What more can I offer to diagnose the trouble?

Thank you all very much,

"If"

Last edited by Ifeyegnuhow; 08-25-2017 at 06:52 PM.