LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 05-18-2018, 05:54 AM   #1
kbmelo
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Smile Linux for begginers in information security

So, I'm new at this world and I've been trying to learn what I can. So I found out this website called "hackthissite" and started doing the begginer's challenges.

As I said, I'm new in this world, want to learn more about security and bug bounty, so in the 7th challenge, apparently I need to know about: "UNIX cal command". So I looked online and saw that There are type of Linux (correct me if I'm wrong), such as this one (UNIX), Kali, Ubuntu...

So, I'm thinking about using a virtual machine or set my computer to duoboot. Can someone say please which Linux tool should I use (never used Linux before), which one is gonna help me the much, and also: Virtual machine or dualboot?

Thank y'all so much, and any tips out of this post, I'm all ears Feel free to speak to me: [email removed]

Last edited by rtmistler; 05-18-2018 at 07:43 AM.

Old 05-18-2018, 07:52 AM   #2
rtmistler

Distribution: MINT Debian, Angstrom, SUSE, Ubuntu, Debian

Rep: Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930
Hi kbmelo and welcome to the forums.

Short answers are, Ubuntu NOT Kali. Try VM first and if you have problems then try dual boot or live boot media. And then just be cautious how far you push this with questions.

Please also do not post your email with your questions.

Why?
  1. Kali is for expert users. See the sticky thread at the top of this forum. You are admittedly very new to Linux. I can nearly guarantee that if you continue to say that you are very new to Linux, have no idea about (a), (b), or (c) and then tell people you are trying to use Kali, it'll be near open season on your questions for sarcasm, so please save yourself the trouble - at least for starters.
  2. Virtual machines are a great way to explore distributions, but if you have difficulties, there are other options.
  3. Be cautious because one of our forum rules are that questions about hacking, cracking, and piracy (intended for nefarious means) will be immediately removed. Questions such as yours are fine, and hackthissite is a legitimate site for learning. Also consider the Linux - Security forum as well as the Linux - Networking forums for your more advanced questions.
  4. Members are not encouraged to privatize their questions, answers should be within threads so that they help future seekers of similar questions
To add along with all that, you should continue to do some research and try some of these things out before asking for full guidance on anything. People here are just like you, free members, volunteers and the LQ community prefers that people at least try a bit to get things done, provide their updates on where they are, so that members can help them to get to their next steps.

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-18-2018, 12:15 PM   #3
mralk3
Slackware Contributor

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 1052Reputation: 1052Reputation: 1052Reputation: 1052Reputation: 1052Reputation: 1052Reputation: 1052Reputation: 1052
Linux for begginers in information security

You should learn all there is to know about the various technology you will be working with. I suggest you learn Linux first. How the file system works, how bash scripting works, networking, and basic host based security. You can use vmware or virtual box technologies to play with Linux, Windows, UNIX , and *BSD. Only after you fully understand the systems you wish to hack will you be equipped to handle information security.

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-18-2018, 03:30 PM   #4
kbmelo
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Thank you so much, I really appreciate your willingness to help a stranger and I'll take all you said to start with the right foot. ^^
I indeed saw people asking about how to start and a "recipe" to achieve the objectives and I noticed that there's not a right answer.
So thank you one more time