LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Bodhi
User Name
Password
Bodhi This forum is for the discussion of Bodhi Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 09-16-2018, 11:11 AM   #1
LEE-whitetiger
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Does Bodhi5.0 check for the amd64 ucode L1TERM bug?

I'm wondering if bodhi5.0 can detect if the amd_ucode patch module for intramfs is correct for debian, or if It can blacklist the amd64_ucode modprobe using some method? I was previously using automatic updates on a multiboot-linuxmint-bodhi image that calls the debian 'release-upgrade' automatically. It then forced a firmware-upgrade (amd64-microcode-ver3.20180524) into my legacy-APU bios. I've NOT been able to remove this incorrect patch off my bios even with a CMOS-wipe/restore. I've only been able to boot with CDR using a legacy copy of bodhi 2..18.3. Can someone tell me how to use bodhibuilder to remix the kernel so it dumps the forced debian-bios upgrade or skips it? Restoring BIOS from DOS isn't the answer either. I also tried using the proposed boot-flag 'dis_ucode_ldr' in the recover command line to ignore the smbios-flags. All I get is an error during the post, "microcode_AMD.bin" is invalid. Then it boots into x32-bit mode. I suspect that all of this is because of the L1TF-foreshadow-meltdown- debian fixes. See the attached articles. One interesting not is that my present work around is to use an alternative bootloader lilo/YUM or something other than GRUB2 to ignore the ucode. The amd_APU machine still boots into centOS/Fedora_x64, but will not boot debian off a USB-flash-drive, or using a Bodhi_x32 CDR.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture-full-advert-community.PNG
Views:	31
Size:	142.3 KB
ID:	28607   Click image for larger version

Name:	long-time-to-fix-dis.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	28608   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture-ubuntu-flash-fixes-may-disable-bios-boot.PNG
Views:	32
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	28609  

Last edited by LEE-whitetiger; 09-16-2018 at 11:21 AM. Reason: added work around solution.

Tags
amd, bios+flash