LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Mobile
User Name
Password
Linux - Mobile This forum is for the discussion of all topics relating to Mobile Linux. This includes Android, Tizen, Sailfish OS, Replicant, Ubuntu Touch, webOS, and other similar projects and products.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 11-13-2017, 09:14 AM   #1
dbowie
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Linux on Thomson Hero 9 HERO9.32

this thread is about progress, and help requests, to get linux (lubuntu) working on a tablet made by Thomson called Hero 9, model HERO9.32B

Specs:
There is no page on the thomson web site for this device, so scrambling from BIOS and web:
Z3735F, 2GB ram, 32EMMC, SDHC slot, RTL8723BS

Progress:
In BIOS changes were applied to BOOT, SECURITY and ADVANCED>SECURITY
Pics of full BIOS as current could not attach to forum post, this link expires after 90 days, any way to keep it online linked to post "forever"?
Lubuntu 64 bit downloaded and respun ISO with linuxium standard (without wifi or UCM). See "Respinning an ISO" on the linuxium page.
sudo dd the result to USB key.
Manually select boot USB from BIOS.
Install with wifi connection (so it downloads all updates) at install.

Things to work on, help appreciated to get to work the
- touchscreen
- display brightness keys on keyboard
- sound output (tablet speakers and audio jack) - respin with UCM did not do the trick
- sound volume keys on keyboard
- display to work at 1280*800 instead of lubuntu 1024*600
- and why not finding a way to enable booting from SB through BIOS, heck boot a few OS's from SDHC cards.

any help & pointers greatly appreciated. Attached output of "devices" and log of "xorg"

devices.txt

Xorg.0.log

EDIT: Regardless of OS tried (lubuntu, mint cinnamon) and respin combo tried, sound and touchscreen do not work. Which drivers? WIFI always works after respin.

EDIT2: Debian test with non free firmware DVD does not boot (unable to respin magic by myself to make it boot).

EDIT3: Debian test with non free firmware net-install does boot, but stuck at no network and rejects the wifi driver known to work, both from the debian installer list and when provided separately as deb package.

Last edited by dbowie; 11-13-2017 at 01:50 PM.

Old 05-27-2018, 05:00 PM   #2
hmronline
LQ Newbie

Hi,

It seems Ubuntu (Budgie is the one I've tried) 18.04 32bits works properly.

First time I've tried, I had issues installing GRUB, but it worked when I've choose to automatically update packages during install.
Once installed, you have to disable the Power settings, to not suspend, as it seems there is some issues with video when that happens.

I think I've messed it up playing with BIOS settings, so I'm now trying to find a way to "factory reset" it. Do you happen to know any key-combination for this ?
Haven't found online documentation for this device, so we better share here what we find.

Thanks in advance!
Hernán.-

Old 07-16-2018, 12:45 PM   #3
Dr.imux
LQ Newbie

Greetings,

Is it possible to show the options of the BIOS?
Actually I cannot boot on my Linux USB key. I disabled all I found in the BIOS, but it doesn't work...

Regards.

Old 07-16-2018, 02:18 PM   #4
Odannur
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Debian

Hi,
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbowie View Post
[...]

Things to work on, help appreciated to get to work the
- touchscreen
- display brightness keys on keyboard
- sound output (tablet speakers and audio jack) - respin with UCM did not do the trick
- sound volume keys on keyboard
- display to work at 1280*800 instead of lubuntu 1024*600
- and why not finding a way to enable booting from SB through BIOS, heck boot a few OS's from SDHC cards.

any help & pointers greatly appreciated. Attached output of "devices" and log of "xorg"

Attachment 26293

Attachment 26294

EDIT: Regardless of OS tried (lubuntu, mint cinnamon) and respin combo tried, sound and touchscreen do not work. Which drivers? WIFI always works after respin.

EDIT2: Debian test with non free firmware DVD does not boot (unable to respin magic by myself to make it boot).

EDIT3: Debian test with non free firmware net-install does boot, but stuck at no network and rejects the wifi driver known to work, both from the debian installer list and when provided separately as deb package.
I've installed Debian Buster but with no sound

If someone can help me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.imux View Post
Greetings,

Is it possible to show the options of the BIOS?
Actually I cannot boot on my Linux USB key. I disabled all I found in the BIOS, but it doesn't work...

Regards.
I've used "Boot From File" in Bios and search efi file

Old 08-03-2018, 03:35 AM   #5
jj61
LQ Newbie

Hello everybody.
Has anyone finally been able to operate the touch screen and sound on this tablet?

Old 08-07-2018, 03:17 PM   #6
Odannur
LQ Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj61 View Post
Hello everybody.
Has anyone finally been able to operate the touch screen and sound on this tablet?
I've not try to install the touch scren yet.

For the sound, the driver is not yet in the kernel, then I use USB sound key.

Old 06-15-2020, 09:30 AM   #7
NandoBru
LQ Newbie

Not sure if it is OK to re-open this thread, but it is the only one I found that covers the Thomson Hero 9 tablet.

My intention is to replace Windows 10 by LUBUNTU. The Hero tablet does not have enough memory nor power to use it under W10.

I have prepared a USB stick with a bootable version of 32 bit LUBUNTU. But I cannot find a way to make the tablet boot from the USB stick.

I found out how to enter the BIOS (hold ESC or volume button) while booting but I have no idea on how to continue booting from the USB. When I select the USB device, some sort of File Explorer opens, allowing to browse the contents, but that's it. Booting always resumes on the default system disk.

Any ideas?

Old 06-15-2020, 09:57 AM   #8
Odannur
LQ Newbie

I've used "Boot From File" in Bios and search efi file , try this

Old 06-16-2020, 07:21 AM   #9
NandoBru
LQ Newbie

Thank you for your reaction Odannur.

When selecting the "Boot From File" tile in the UEFI interface, a "File Explorer" starts up showing two media, the USB with LUBUNTU and the system disk with Windows 10.

I selected the USB but there is no <EFI> folder on this medium.

Last edited by NandoBru; 06-16-2020 at 07:31 AM. Reason: clarify

Old 06-16-2020, 10:22 AM   #10
NandoBru
LQ Newbie

All you need to know can be found here:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/7754...ased-tablet-pc

Last edited by NandoBru; 06-29-2020 at 07:58 AM. Reason: solution

Old 04-06-2023, 04:31 AM   #11
Odannur
LQ Newbie

Some news...

- I've use a Bluetooth headphones and it's work (without USB adaptator) !
- The Battery indicator is working with the kernel 5.10

Have a good day !