LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > LinuxQuestions.org > LinuxQuestions.org Member Intro
User Name
Password
LinuxQuestions.org Member Intro New to LinuxQuestions.org? Been a long time member but never made a post? Introduce yourself here.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 05-03-2024, 12:34 PM   #1
avid
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
There appears to be a security problem with my account.

Since it shows that I'm logged in as "avid" in the right hand corner above, there must be a security problem with your system that refused my previous attempts at posting. It declared that I was not registered, and also refused my effort to register, (Yet it permitted me to simply respond to your message herewith. I sure hope your records will bear out the puzzling circumstances of these past few days.)

My previous posting requested assistance in my purchasing a downloadable file that only needs to be copied to a usb stick by my windows 8.1 OS in order to create a bootable secure Linux OS, which I can then burn as a bootable read-only Linux system.

For otherwise, my windows 8.1 OS cannot create said usb stick with the Linux commands that your site has graciously provided.
I'm sure grateful for any possible assistance in getting started with a Linux system.
Avid

Old 05-03-2024, 12:43 PM   #2
TB0ne
LQ Guru

Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS

Rep: Reputation: 7972Reputation: 7972Reputation: 7972Reputation: 7972Reputation: 7972Reputation: 7972Reputation: 7972Reputation: 7972Reputation: 7972Reputation: 7972Reputation: 7972
Quote:
Originally Posted by avid View Post
Since it shows that I'm logged in as "avid" in the right hand corner above, there must be a security problem with your system that refused my previous attempts at posting. It declared that I was not registered, and also refused my effort to register, (Yet it permitted me to simply respond to your message herewith. I sure hope your records will bear out the puzzling circumstances of these past few days.)

My previous posting requested assistance in my purchasing a downloadable file that only needs to be copied to a usb stick by my windows 8.1 OS in order to create a bootable secure Linux OS, which I can then burn as a bootable read-only Linux system. For otherwise, my windows 8.1 OS cannot create said usb stick with the Linux commands that your site has graciously provided. I'm sure grateful for any possible assistance in getting started with a Linux system.
Avid
Right..because Linux commands work on Linux, not Windows. Did you look at any Linux distro website??? They all have instructions, like this:
https://linuxmint-installation-guide...test/burn.html

...that include how to do it on Windows. What else do you need??? You don't need to 'purchase' anything from anywhere.

Last edited by TB0ne; 05-03-2024 at 01:00 PM.

Old 05-04-2024, 06:01 PM   #3
avid
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Making a Debian install disk/ flash drive bootable without 3rd party apps.?

I'm grateful for your guidance TBOne. I mistakenly replied to you as an email response instead of a website post. Sorry about that.

Your instructions certainly simplfied the barriers that I'm left to face TBOne, which right now seems to be making the Debian flash drive and dvd installers bootable.
But I'd rather not use 3rd party software if it's possible, even though it's a real struggle for me to review the related literature. I'm hoping for a system that's as secure as possible of course, but I'm faced with an impending deadline too. So I'm sure grateful for any suggestions that you folks may be able to offer?

Avid.

Old 05-04-2024, 06:23 PM   #4
smallpond

Distribution: Fedora

Rep: Reputation: 1265Reputation: 1265Reputation: 1265Reputation: 1265Reputation: 1265Reputation: 1265Reputation: 1265Reputation: 1265Reputation: 1265
Rufus and Etcher are both programs I've used for this on Windows, since Microsoft doesn't provide such a program as part of Windows.

Old 05-04-2024, 07:20 PM   #5
TB0ne
LQ Guru

Rep: Reputation: 7972Reputation: 7972Reputation: 7972Reputation: 7972Reputation: 7972Reputation: 7972Reputation: 7972Reputation: 7972Reputation: 7972Reputation: 7972Reputation: 7972
Quote:
I'm grateful for your guidance TBOne. I mistakenly replied to you as an email response instead of a website post. Sorry about that.

Your instructions certainly simplfied the barriers that I'm left to face TBOne, which right now seems to be making the Debian flash drive and dvd installers bootable.
But I'd rather not use 3rd party software if it's possible, even though it's a real struggle for me to review the related literature. I'm hoping for a system that's as secure as possible of course, but I'm faced with an impending deadline too. So I'm sure grateful for any suggestions that you folks may be able to offer?
There are no barriers; either load the needed software and do what you need to, or you can't do it. You were given a link that has explicit instructions on what to download, from where. This was a step-by-step tutorial..what else do you need?? There is a link to etcher on that page you were given, and a link at the top marked DOWNLOAD to get Linux Mint.

Putting "debian 12 bootable windows" into a search engine gives you:
https://www.wikihow.com/Install-Debian

..which (again) uses etcher for Windows, since Windows can't burn ISO images natively. If you're on a deadline, it should be a simple matter to do basic research and follow instructions that have been looked up for you. There is zero holding you back.

Last edited by TB0ne; 05-04-2024 at 07:25 PM.

Old 05-06-2024, 07:49 AM   #6
avid
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Isn't the purpose of 'flash-knop' script to preclude 3rd party apps?

And in my understanding of the legal obligations imposed by the user agreements in balenaEtcher-Portable-1.18.11 and balenaEtcher-Setup-1.18.11 from the links that you sent me TBOne may be a cause of concern for the US patent application that I'm currently in the process of filing (if I'm ever able to fix the crippling computer damage that I've recently suffered?)
I really am grateful for any kind offers of help, and in fact, just like most people I'm crucially reliant on that kind help, and especially so with computers. But because of the current circumstances I'm forced to look at the possibility of an alternative bigger picture. Therefore I hope my expressed concerns aren't considered offensive, but are seen as helpful in fact. For I can see no other secure way to get my computer working in these circumstances than in turning to the help of good neighbours, as I've always done.
I sure hope you folks can help?
Avid.

Old 05-06-2024, 08:28 AM   #7
TB0ne
LQ Guru

Quote:
And in my understanding of the legal obligations imposed by the user agreements in balenaEtcher-Portable-1.18.11 and balenaEtcher-Setup-1.18.11 from the links that you sent me TBOne may be a cause of concern for the US patent application that I'm currently in the process of filing (if I'm ever able to fix the crippling computer damage that I've recently suffered?)
No, it's a program you use to burn ISO images. As said, either use Etcher or Rufus, pick one.
Quote:
I really am grateful for any kind offers of help, and in fact, just like most people I'm crucially reliant on that kind help, and especially so with computers. But because of the current circumstances I'm forced to look at the possibility of an alternative bigger picture. Therefore I hope my expressed concerns aren't considered offensive, but are seen as helpful in fact. For I can see no other secure way to get my computer working in these circumstances than in turning to the help of good neighbours, as I've always done.
I sure hope you folks can help?
We did, we told you what to do, where to get the programs you need, how to download Linux, and gave you two step-by-step tutorials. Not a lot more we can do; it is now up to you to actually do something.