LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 03-28-2024, 10:47 AM   #1
slcklnx

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
linux for beginners

Hi guys. please tell me, what would be the problem if you could run a custom function from a kernel module? if not from the kernel module, then from where? or do you think that user-defined functions are not needed at all in Linux? Then what kind of freedom are you talking about? all these cries that Linux was created for those who want to do something themselves are just women's chatter. why is a simple user deprived of the opportunity to write code and run it from the kernel module? Security? by default, you have all ports open. you can create rm-rf* and break the whole system, but you cannot run the function from the module. that is, if a person is able to write code for a kernel module, if he can compile it, then do you think that he is not able to understand what he is doing, and he should be forbidden to do so? I just want to understand why you are preventing beginners from getting used to the Linux world faster? Do you want to feel superior and smarter than them? What is the real reason?

Old 03-28-2024, 11:53 AM   #2
pan64
LQ Addict

Distribution: debian/ubuntu/suse ...

Rep: Reputation: 7311Reputation: 7311Reputation: 7311Reputation: 7311Reputation: 7311Reputation: 7311Reputation: 7311Reputation: 7311Reputation: 7311Reputation: 7311Reputation: 7311
would be nice to give exact details. Otherwise I think you can really do what you want, but no one guarantees that you will succeed.

Old 03-28-2024, 12:05 PM   #3
jayjwa

Distribution: Slackware, Termux

Rep: Reputation: 243Reputation: 243Reputation: 243
People can and do write their own functions for the kernel all the time, in kernel modules. There's many, many out-of-tree kernel modules. I'm using three of them right now.

Old 03-28-2024, 12:11 PM   #4
slcklnx

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by pan64 View Post
would be nice to give exact details. Otherwise I think you can really do what you want, but no one guarantees that you will succeed.
Enable loadable module support

Code:
 [*]allow the launch of a custom function from the module
this would solve the problem of many. I've already talked about it. this would improve the performance of the kernel. The API imposes limitations and reduces capabilities and performance. all this security is just nonsense.

Last edited by slcklnx; 03-28-2024 at 12:12 PM.

Old 03-28-2024, 12:18 PM   #5
slcklnx

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjwa View Post
People can and do write their own functions for the kernel all the time, in kernel modules. There's many, many out-of-tree kernel modules. I'm using three of them right now.

well, can you teach me how to run this from the module?

Code:
void modFunct(int* a){  if(*a== 77){  ;} ;           };

Old 03-28-2024, 12:19 PM   #6
pan64
LQ Addict

Distribution: debian/ubuntu/suse ...

Rep: Reputation: 7311Reputation: 7311Reputation: 7311Reputation: 7311Reputation: 7311Reputation: 7311Reputation: 7311Reputation: 7311Reputation: 7311Reputation: 7311Reputation: 7311
And actually what's your issue? You can turn it on yourself if you want, and anyone can turn it off if they want.

Old 03-28-2024, 01:35 PM   #7
slcklnx

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by pan64 View Post
And actually what's your issue? You can turn it on yourself if you want, and anyone can turn it off if they want.
)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))) Are you sure you know Linux? Gentlemen, let me wait for those who can help everyone in this matter. those who can influence the development of the Linux system. maybe these people will understand the problem of ordinary users. there is a problem, but only they can solve it.

Old 03-28-2024, 02:24 PM   #8
wpeckham
LQ Guru

Distribution: Debian, Ubuntu, RedHat, DSL, Puppy, CentOS, Knoppix, Mint-DE, Sparky, VSIDO, tinycore, Q4OS,Manjaro

Rep: Reputation: 2697Reputation: 2697Reputation: 2697Reputation: 2697Reputation: 2697Reputation: 2697Reputation: 2697Reputation: 2697Reputation: 2697Reputation: 2697Reputation: 2697
Quote:
Originally Posted by slcklnx View Post
)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))) Are you sure you know Linux? Gentlemen, let me wait for those who can help everyone in this matter. those who can influence the development of the Linux system. maybe these people will understand the problem of ordinary users. there is a problem, but only they can solve it.
There are no "ordinary users" who need to write or modify kernel modules. Shell functions, shell modules, custom programs and scripts, but ordinary users do not kick the kernel. (It is considered "bad luck" in ordinary user space.)

I think what you want is the "slightly insane user" space or the "kernel developer" space. Both exhibit a certain lack of sanity, but the second group actually knows WHY they are insane and how to make it productive. Neither group is a proper place for beginners to play, although good places to ask questions. (Just check which group you have encountered before you trust the answers!)

Do you know where the kernel comes from and how to contact real kernel developers?

Last edited by wpeckham; 03-28-2024 at 02:26 PM.

Old 03-28-2024, 03:47 PM   #9
slcklnx

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpeckham View Post
There are no "ordinary users" who need to write or modify kernel modules. Shell functions, shell modules, custom programs and scripts, but ordinary users do not kick the kernel. (It is considered "bad luck" in ordinary user space.)

I think what you want is the "slightly insane user" space or the "kernel developer" space. Both exhibit a certain lack of sanity, but the second group actually knows WHY they are insane and how to make it productive. Neither group is a proper place for beginners to play, although good places to ask questions. (Just check which group you have encountered before you trust the answers!)

Do you know where the kernel comes from and how to contact real kernel developers?

The main developers don't give a damn about all of us. Developers can provide a service if the community is strong and meaningful. such a small door as launching user functions from a module can open up huge opportunities for developing the Linux kernel and systems in general. now a tired small group of people, who are called developers, just support the kernels without making big changes, but if we opened the door to new ideas for those who are not tired of reading manuals yet, then a low entry threshold would give good results. this is nonsense, think for yourself, in order to run your user function from a module, you need to study the kernel and scripts for 7 years. This is nonsense! anyone who wants to write their own programs should be able to do so right now, without spending many years studying and solving the puzzles of kernel engineers. I just want to create my own software. It should be easy. people believed Linus Torvalds, they thought that this system would be available to everyone, everyone would be able to do something for themselves in it. people were developing the core. and now he and a bunch of bald developers are doing what they want and not listening to users, considering them cattle, just like Bill Geitz. Is this what we were aiming for? are you ready to convince me that an ordinary user doesn't even need such features just to please a group of developers who don't give a shit about everyone? I don't need to tell fairy tales, I know what those people who live on Linux systems, and not on Macbooks and Windows, need.

Last edited by slcklnx; 03-28-2024 at 03:50 PM.

Old 03-28-2024, 04:07 PM   #10
slcklnx

Original Poster
The <removed> community wanted to include RUST in the Linux kernel and immediately got it. we, those who live permanently on Linux systems without moving from place to place, have asked for the ability to run user functions from kernel modules, which is actually very reasonable, and everywhere we hear baby talk about how dangerous it is. Well, yes, we are not <removed>, otherwise everything would have already been done.

Last edited by rtmistler; 03-29-2024 at 12:51 PM.

Old 03-28-2024, 04:22 PM   #11
rtmistler

Distribution: MINT Debian, Angstrom, SUSE, Ubuntu, Debian

Rep: Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930
@slcklnx,

And all where applicable. Please remember to disagree respectfully and also highly suggest you avoid bringing in gender, demographics, along with cursing language into a technical discussion thread.

Old 03-28-2024, 04:45 PM   #12
wpeckham
LQ Guru

Distribution: Debian, Ubuntu, RedHat, DSL, Puppy, CentOS, Knoppix, Mint-DE, Sparky, VSIDO, tinycore, Q4OS,Manjaro

Rep: Reputation: 2697Reputation: 2697Reputation: 2697Reputation: 2697Reputation: 2697Reputation: 2697Reputation: 2697Reputation: 2697Reputation: 2697Reputation: 2697Reputation: 2697
Quote:
Originally Posted by slcklnx View Post
The main developers don't give a damn about all of us.
That is CLEARLY untrue!
Many of them work nearly all at the code level in terminal windows. Most developers only use a GUI desktop if it will GET OUT OF THE WAY and let them get more work done. All of the support for bells and whistles that they do not themselves use: those are all for the "ordinary user"!

As for creating your own software, we do. Many of us are coders and developers, although VERY FEW of us are Kernel developers. I have NEVER needed to develop my own kernel module to get things to work my way. (I wrote a printer driver once. ONCE!)

If you want to understand how to write modules for the kernel, you can look it up or lose that chip off your shoulder and talk to the people who DO that.

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-29-2024, 05:22 AM   #13
slcklnx

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpeckham View Post
I have NEVER needed to develop my own kernel module to get things to work my way. (I wrote a printer driver once. ONCE!)
you really don't understand the problem. simple example. someone studied C++, and he wants to apply his knowledge for himself. It’s quite reasonable that he wants to create a kernel module so as not to go into the kernel itself, but he can’t. because no one thought about it. in order to write his own program in Linux, he needs to learn the special syntax of the "C " language, he needs to study the API, he needs to spend many years and over these years all desire to do something will disappear. I believe that this was done on purpose to kill all the aspirations of beginners. Even now you don’t want to listen to a simple user. What then should I talk about with you? They explain to you that this is the most reasonable way for beginners, not to go straight into the kernel, where you can do a lot of wrong things, but to write modules and be able to run user functions from them - this is very correct. I’ll explain to you again that this could improve the performance of systems based on the Linux kernel. such a feature could be useful for creating kernels for highly loaded machines. especially for them. Now this is some kind of nonsense, so that a beginner can write something, he must immediately jump into the Linux kernel. this is stupidity. you are not engineers, you are collective farmers. you can't even revise the kernel logic and make everything consistent and beautiful.

Old 03-29-2024, 05:26 AM   #14
slcklnx

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtmistler View Post
@slcklnx,

And all where applicable. Please remember to disagree respectfully and also highly suggest you avoid bringing in gender, demographics, along with cursing language into a technical discussion thread.
what's the insult? It's true that the <removed> community matters more to Linus Torvalds than the Linux community. there were many proposals to improve the Linux kernel, and not a single one was considered, but as soon as <removed> corrected RUST, which was simply useless for the kernel and even harmful, it was immediately accepted and began to be supported in the kernel. this is a fact, this is not an insult.

Last edited by rtmistler; 03-29-2024 at 12:51 PM.

Old 03-29-2024, 07:52 AM   #15
yancek
LQ Guru

Distribution: Slackware, Ubuntu, PCLinux,

Rep: Reputation: 2492Reputation: 2492Reputation: 2492Reputation: 2492Reputation: 2492Reputation: 2492Reputation: 2492Reputation: 2492Reputation: 2492Reputation: 2492Reputation: 2492
Other than your post 5 above, you have given very little information on what exactly you want. Members here will generally ask someone who posts what they have done specifically to accomplish what they want, so what have you done? Posting what your efforts have been and points of failure would be more useful if you actually want help. Most of your posts are complaints about your inability to accomplish your intended goal. That you are complaining here at LQ about this problem seems strange to me as this is hardly Linux HQ. We're just a group of volunteers who have different levels of knowledge about Linux and try to help people although some members are skilled programmers. You just need to be specific about what you want and what you have done.