LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware > Slackware - ARM
User Name
Password
Slackware - ARM This forum is for the discussion of Slackware ARM.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 03-10-2023, 01:25 PM   #1
slac-in-the-box

Distribution: slackware64-15.0 / slarm64-current

Rep: Reputation: 432Reputation: 432Reputation: 432Reputation: 432Reputation: 432
Post hdmi on pinebook dock

Hello.

Here is a description of the physical set up:

I have a pine dock powered by the usb-c on both-ends cable, with one end plugged into the usb-c port on the dock (identified by a solid line and a dashed line in parallel, whatever that means), and the other end into the usb-c port on the pine charger power supply. The short black usb-c male cord, protruding out of the dock next to the pine64 logo, is what I have plugged into the pinebook pro's usb-c port.

The extra usb ports on the dock work. The ethernet port works. However, I have been unable to get any kind of signal out of the hdmi port.

The pine64 wiki suggests reversing orientation of usb-c plug, which I have tried, and still no signal.

The wiki also says the dock uses these chips:
Quote:
List of chips used in the docking station:

PD Negotiation chip - PDFL7102
HDMI/VGA chip - IT6564
GbE Ethernet chip - RTL8153B
USB 3.0 Hub chip - VL817
SD card reader chip - GL823K
Audio CODEC chip - HZD100
Has anyone got hdmi out of their pinebook pro on slackwareaarch64-current?

I am wondering what kernel module the IT6564 uses. It's specs say it uses embedded flashable mcu... maybe it doesn't need a kernel module because driver is embedded?

But wah wah it's not working, and I would rather increase font size on a large screen than increase magnification of my readers--I'm already at +2.5, and am trying to resist switching to +3.0... So I like my screen real estate.

Suggestions?

Old 03-12-2023, 06:29 PM   #2
xp19375

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
I don't run Slackware on my PBP (yet), and I don't have the same adapter, but I did have the same problem. According to this, it looks like you need a patch to get DP alto mode working (this is how you get HDMI over USB-C on the PBP). The patches are on the Armbian github here. Glancing at the filenames in the Slackware-current kernel source tree, it doesn't look like it made it in.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-13-2023, 04:08 AM   #3
drmozes
Slackware Contributor

Rep: Reputation: 1310Reputation: 1310Reputation: 1310Reputation: 1310Reputation: 1310Reputation: 1310Reputation: 1310Reputation: 1310Reputation: 1310Reputation: 1310
Quote:
Originally Posted by xp19375 View Post
I don't run Slackware on my PBP (yet), and I don't have the same adapter, but I did have the same problem. According to this, it looks like you need a patch to get DP alto mode working (this is how you get HDMI over USB-C on the PBP). The patches are on the Armbian github here. Glancing at the filenames in the Slackware-current kernel source tree, it doesn't look like it made it in.
We carried this one a while ago until it was removed from Manjaro (which is the origin of that patch). One chunk of the patch doesn't apply, and the rest of it applies with large offsets. Even if the patch applied, I wouldn't carry it because the offsets are too large, which means it's almost guaranteed that the patch will fail to apply to newer releases of that Kernel branch, resulting in us having to drop the patch and rendering your machine slightly less useful than before. It's best not to support it to begin with in this case. This is important because Slackware will remain on Linux 6.1 until Slackware 15.1 is released, so I need patches that are likely to continue to work with 6.1 for the foreseeable future.

I have been thinking that I'll start on packaging the Linux 6.2 Kernel at some point which I can push out for experimentation, which will fix most of this stuff directly, but probably closer to when 15.1 is released.

I'm tracking these types of noticeable issues in the roadmap page:.

Last edited by drmozes; 03-13-2023 at 05:51 AM.

Old 03-15-2023, 03:35 PM   #4
xp19375

After some experimenting on Manjaro, using commit fb4cc7a2 of linux-lts package build and modifying it to built the latest 5.15 kernel (5.15.102) I did get DP alt mode working again. Two of the patches didn't take well and needed some manual intervention which isn't too bad if you know C. You could probably use a slightly older version of linux 5.15, and the patches I used were meant to be used against 5.15.92.

Using Manjaro's kernel 6.2.5 didn't seem to work for DP alt mode.

Old 03-23-2023, 07:02 PM   #5
slac-in-the-box

Distribution: slackware64-15.0 / slarm64-current

Original Poster

Rep: Reputation: 432Reputation: 432Reputation: 432Reputation: 432Reputation: 432
I figured I would build a kernel:

I noticed option for IT6505 was unset, so I turned it into a module.

Sometimes I notice use of XX to cover groups of models, as in IT65XX; but no such luck; in this case, only 6505; still perhaps it will be close enough to work the IT6564.

It will be compiling for hours yet...

Old 04-27-2023, 07:40 PM   #6
xp19375

I noticed that the Manjaro kernel build source had the DP alt-mode patches added back in and they seem to patch with Linux 6.2.12 just fine. I haven't built a kernel and tested them, but you or others might be willing to give them a try. I'll note that Manjaro isn't using those patches in their PKGBUILD.