LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Hardware
User Name
Password
Linux - Hardware This forum is for Hardware issues.
Having trouble installing a piece of hardware? Want to know if that peripheral is compatible with Linux?

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 05-28-2020, 02:09 PM   #1
k.king

Rep: Reputation: 16
Seiko label printer missing part of text on left hand edge

I have a Seiko Smart Label Printer SLP100

I have download source from a couple sites, the contents are near identical.
https://github.com/fawkesley/smart-l...p-linux-driver
https://github.com/danieloneill/SeikoSLPLinuxDriver
https://siibusinessproducts.com/supp...ver-downloads/

Compiled and installed into CUPS selecting label size SLP-2RL (this is on Debian 10 LXDE)

It prints all okay except the left hand edge of the first character of every line is missing.

If you imagine a capital T then the vertical part of it is partially visible and the top of the T is only visible to the right of the stem.

I've printed by just dumping a text file via
Code:
lp -d SII_SLP100 -o orientation-requested=4 TestSLP100.txt
with contents as

Code:
This is a text file printed
test
printed
from 
This file
or via LibreOffice Writer with a page set to the dimensions of the label.

If I increase the margins of the label it just moves all the text accordingly for an increased margin but still is missing that very fine amount from left hand side.

I've also tried amending the PPD and reloading into cups, so I currently have
Code:
*PageSize AddressSmall/Address - Small (SLP-1RL, SLP-2RL): "<</PageSize[236 68]/ImagingBBox null>>setpagedevice"
*PageRegion AddressSmall/Address - Small (SLP-1RL, SLP-2RL): "<</PageSize[236 68]/ImagingBBox null>>setpagedevice"
*ImageableArea AddressSmall/Address - Small (SLP-1RL, SLP-2RL): "2 2 232 64"
*PaperDimension AddressSmall/Address - Small (SLP-1RL, SLP-2RL): "236.160003662109 68.400001525879"
If I adjust the ImageableArea values it is like changing the margins in LibreOffice, the text still all comes out respecting the new margin/boundary and looks exactly the same each time just shifted left or right accordingly but is always missing this very fine amount from left hand side.

Even if I edit the text file to have two spaces at start of every line, it still prints out the same.
Code:
  This is a text file printed
  test
  printed
  from 
  This file
with the very left hand edge of all the first characters missing.

Is there something with the ppd I am missing?

Old 05-29-2020, 02:38 PM   #2
jefro

Rep: Reputation: 3629Reputation: 3629Reputation: 3629Reputation: 3629Reputation: 3629Reputation: 3629Reputation: 3629Reputation: 3629Reputation: 3629Reputation: 3629Reputation: 3629
Any way to adjust the feed of the paper to correct?

I'd consider padding a space on left maybe??

Try something like this??? cat my_notes.txt | lpr. (example??)

Also I don't know that model but some have to have parameters sent to it(configure it) each boot.

Just to double check, is it connected via ethernet or serial/parallel?

When you print test print from printer (usually hold some button and power on) what does it print?

Last edited by jefro; 05-29-2020 at 02:42 PM.

Old 05-30-2020, 03:12 AM   #3
k.king

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 16
Hi @jefro
Quote:
Any way to adjust the feed of the paper to correct?
No
Quote:
I'd consider padding a space on left maybe??
see my final part of my original post... believe I have effectively tried that
Quote:
Also I don't know that model but some have to have parameters sent to it(configure it) each boot.
not that I know of and wasn't necessary on a LMDE2 unit
Quote:
Just to double check, is it connected via ethernet or serial/parallel?
USB
Quote:
When you print test print from printer (usually hold some button and power on) what does it print?
As far as I am aware no such option exists, can only do a CUPS test page and has same issue.

I used to use on a LMDE2 unit, which I still have, and remembered that occasionally I would have problem with the right hand edge not visible which seemed to be on longer (wider) prints and I got around it by just putting a load of spaces and then a number of full stops. So I would end up with what I wanted and the full stops did not appear. I've now twigged that in LMDE CUPS v1.7.5 the labels printed with the left hand edge first with no issue and the last part of label sometimes maybe always had this issue but my extra spaces and dots got around it. Whereas on Debian 10 CUPS 2.2.10 The labels are printing out the right hand edge (last part) of label first fine and it is the left hand edge that comes out last (i.e. rotated 180 degrees) and is missing the final 1-2mm.

So I now have two issues.
1. An issue that has seemingly always been there that the final part of data sent to this printer is being ignored or lost. It has nothing to do with location on label or margins, it is the data is lost.
2. Something between the two versions of CUPS or how configured by Mint/Debian has changed. Evident in two ways:
a. The old PPD from LMDE and various from web which both worked fine on LMDE, now has the height and width dimensions swapped, which I can only overcome by updating the PPD manually to swap them back.
b. The orientation seems to have swapped 180 degrees which has caused the bigger issue on this printer because I miss the beginning part of text of every line (as it is the final part of data sent to the printer.

I can get round when just sending text by either
Code:
lp -d SII_SLP100 -o orientation-requested=5  TestSLP100.txt
Or adding dots and spaces to start of each line of text file ...

BUT I can't use LibreOffice Writer because of the issues.