LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Linux From Scratch
User Name
Password
Linux From Scratch This Forum is for the discussion of LFS.
LFS is a project that provides you with the steps necessary to build your own custom Linux system.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 03-17-2020, 11:25 AM   #1
Teo En Ming SG
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Teo En Ming's Linux From Scratch (LFS) 20200302-systemd Bootable Live CD/DVD Kernel Panic

Subject: Teo En Ming's Linux From Scratch (LFS) 20200302-systemd Bootable Live CD/DVD Kernel Panic

Good day from Singapore to all Linux users,

Recently, on 12 March 2020, I have successfully created my own custom Linux distribution which I affectionately call it Teo En Ming Linux.
My custom Linux distribution is based on the most basic Linux From Scratch (LFS) 20200302-systemd book and Linux kernel 5.5.7. I am able to boot it successfully on
my Toshiba 1 TB 3.5 inch SATA internal harddisk /dev/sdb2.

After the initial success, I wanted to make a bootable Live CD/DVD of my Linux From Scratch system. I followed Jimmy Anderson's guide (which was written more
than 7 years ago on 20 Jan 2013) and modified his guide in trying to make it work with LFS 20200302-systemd book.

You may refer to the following guides on how I created a bootable Live CD/DVD of my Linux From Scratch system.

Blog post #1: "How to create a Bootable Live CD/DVD from your Linux From Scratch (LFS) build"

Link: https://tdtemcerts.blogspot.com/2020...ddvd-from.html

Blog post #2: "Patching Linux Kernel 5.5.7 to Add Support for AUFS Filesystem"

Link: https://tdtemcerts.blogspot.com/2020...57-to-add.html

When I booted up my bootable Live CD/DVD, I got a kernel panic.

Looking at the following screenshot, it seems that my 64-bit Live CD booted in 32-bit mode.

Screenshot: https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-P_EcnlhuD...artup%2B32.png

Notice the "trampoline_32bit" and "booted via startup_32()" lines on the above screenshot.

The following screenshot illustrates the kernel panic.

Screenshot: https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-uSNEk19fG...el%2Bpanic.png

My guess is that my 64-bit Live CD booted up in 32-bit mode, and when it tried to execute /sbin/init (symlink to systemd binary) after mounting the squashfs root file system, which is 64-bit, it resulted in a kernel panic. What I am trying to say is that the 64-bit Linux kernel on the Live CD boots up in 32-bit mode (my guess), and then tried to execute purely 64-bit binaries, which results in a kernel panic.

Please advise me on how I can resolve this issue and produce a working Live CD of my LFS system without kernel panic.

Thank you very much.

Old 03-18-2020, 10:25 AM   #2
hazel
LQ Guru

Distribution: LFS, AntiX, Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 4453Reputation: 4453Reputation: 4453Reputation: 4453Reputation: 4453Reputation: 4453Reputation: 4453Reputation: 4453Reputation: 4453Reputation: 4453Reputation: 4453
I agree with your diagnosis. "Attempted to kill init" means that systemd crashed.

The reference to "Wrong EFI loader signature" may explain how the problem started. Are you using secure boot? And do you have both 32-bit and 64-bit kernels on your CD like SystemRescue has? Maybe the wrong one booted because the correct one couldn't pass the signature test. What would happen if you switched secure boot off?