LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 03-09-2020, 01:42 PM   #1
unixerr
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Angry Linux freezes and i don't know why.

About one month ago I posted this thread on reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/linuxquesti...eed_your_help/
I had a big problem and couldn't solve it yet, That's what motivated me to post here.
Basically the desktop freezes then I have to restart but it sucks! help pls.

Old 03-09-2020, 01:58 PM   #2
pan64
LQ Addict

Distribution: debian/ubuntu/suse ...

Rep: Reputation: 7326Reputation: 7326Reputation: 7326Reputation: 7326Reputation: 7326Reputation: 7326Reputation: 7326Reputation: 7326Reputation: 7326Reputation: 7326Reputation: 7326
is this box overclocked? Did it work before (for example with Windows)? Does it work without desktop (in console mode)?

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-09-2020, 04:45 PM   #3
unixerr
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by pan64 View Post
is this box overclocked? Did it work before (for example with Windows)? Does it work without desktop (in console mode)?
not overclocked, did not use windows, probably don't work just with the console because I tried a lot of DEs. I think the problem is in the kernel.

Old 03-09-2020, 05:13 PM   #4
teckk
LQ Guru

Distribution: Arch

Rep: Reputation: 1833Reputation: 1833Reputation: 1833Reputation: 1833Reputation: 1833Reputation: 1833Reputation: 1833Reputation: 1833Reputation: 1833Reputation: 1833Reputation: 1833
First check the basics. Processor fan working? Power supply good? Overheating and bad power supply will cause lock ups.

Quote:
GPU: NVIDIA gtx 1660
Are you using nvidia or nouveau? Are you using any bootloader parameters for your device? You aren't trying to use both at once?
You can have both installed but one will need to be blacklisted.

Basic info
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NVIDIA
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Nouveau

What kernel does the machine have installed?
Code:
uname -a
How are you starting X? Are you using a display manager? What does your ~/.xinitrc look like?

Is this a systemd machine? Does journalctl give you any information about the freezes?

There is help to be had, but you are going to have to give a lot more more info.

Old 03-09-2020, 07:43 PM   #5
unixerr
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckk View Post
First check the basics. Processor fan working? Power supply good? Overheating and bad power supply will cause lock ups.

Are you using nvidia or nouveau? Are you using any bootloader parameters for your device? You aren't trying to use both at once?
You can have both installed but one will need to be blacklisted.

Basic info
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NVIDIA
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Nouveau

What kernel does the machine have installed?
Code:
uname -a
How are you starting X? Are you using a display manager? What does your ~/.xinitrc look like?

Is this a systemd machine? Does journalctl give you any information about the freezes?

There is help to be had, but you are going to have to give a lot more more info.
I'd like to give you the specs but I tried everything including distros, WMs, kernel versions... just don't know why it crashes.

Old 03-09-2020, 08:58 PM   #6
Mill J

Distribution: Mint, Void, MX, Haiku, PMOS, Plasma Mobile, and many others

Rep: Reputation: 542Reputation: 542Reputation: 542Reputation: 542Reputation: 542Reputation: 542
Sounds to me like you've got nvidia driver problems. I've tinkered with an older Dell that had the same problem. I never really got it fixed, partly because It wasn't mine. It was fine until you put a heavy load on it.

@teckk posted some helpful links above. Hopfully that'll give you a good idea on what needs to happen.

Old 03-10-2020, 01:53 AM   #7
pan64
LQ Addict

Distribution: debian/ubuntu/suse ...

Rep: Reputation: 7326Reputation: 7326Reputation: 7326Reputation: 7326Reputation: 7326Reputation: 7326Reputation: 7326Reputation: 7326Reputation: 7326Reputation: 7326Reputation: 7326
you do not need to write what you think and do not need to repeat "freezes and don't know why".
But you would need to make some steps to collect and post more information about your situation (and answer the questions).
Did it work before? Does in work in console mode? What OS/kernel/video driver is actually installed? Did you check /var/log, dmesg and Xorg logs if there was anything related?
You can also try to run RAMTEST on it too, probably it will give some additional information.

Based on what you posted it can be either a video driver/software issue or a hardware related problem, so please try to answer....