LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 07-23-2019, 03:59 PM   #1
mvelezwhiteSBS
LQ Newbie

Distribution: CentOS and RHEL

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Question Need guidance on partitioning schemes

I've recently started a new position and I'm attempting to establish some best practices; specifically with CentOS/RHEL in vSphere 6.7. I'm trying to set up templates for Linux servers. However, I'm getting varying suggestions on the partitioning schemes.

I'm a bit overwhelmed and trying to keep all this straight. I want to establish a procedure, but I also want to make sure that the server is constructed with proper partitions for an Enterprise level Linux Server with full file structure and all the appropriate safety 'guard rails' that people sometimes forget to put in their partitions. I know that it's easier to just choose "automatic", but I prefer to do it the right way and then teach Ansible and Terraform how I want it done.

If anyone has some good experience with this and doesn't mind dumbing it down to my newbie status, I would be quite grateful.

Old 07-23-2019, 09:00 PM   #2
rtmistler

Distribution: MINT Debian, Angstrom, SUSE, Ubuntu, Debian

Rep: Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930
I'd stick with automatic until you acquire enough experience to make a definitive decision that you completely understand. Because when you mention becoming overwhelmed, it gives me the impression that you're not going to be any less overwhelmed with an additional number of opinions from responders here. Also presuming that the opinions you're receiving now may be from co-workers who do set up servers for the same environment?

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-24-2019, 04:09 AM   #3
Shadow_7

Distribution: debian

Rep: Reputation: 874Reputation: 874Reputation: 874Reputation: 874Reputation: 874Reputation: 874Reputation: 874
Use the tools provided. It's why they call it "enterprise". Varying advice because storage and best practices used to be different. Multiple devices to compensate for slow devices. Special allocations for high traffic things likely to break devices. And other concerns addressed by the filesystems that things sit on top of now. You should probably research those filesystems before trying to figure out space allocations. lvm2, zfs (ZoL), btrfs, xfs, ext4, and lots of other fs's like glusterfs.

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-24-2019, 07:45 AM   #4
TB0ne
LQ Guru

Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS

Rep: Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvelezwhiteSBS View Post
I've recently started a new position and I'm attempting to establish some best practices; specifically with CentOS/RHEL in vSphere 6.7. I'm trying to set up templates for Linux servers. However, I'm getting varying suggestions on the partitioning schemes.

I'm a bit overwhelmed and trying to keep all this straight. I want to establish a procedure, but I also want to make sure that the server is constructed with proper partitions for an Enterprise level Linux Server with full file structure and all the appropriate safety 'guard rails' that people sometimes forget to put in their partitions. I know that it's easier to just choose "automatic", but I prefer to do it the right way and then teach Ansible and Terraform how I want it done.

If anyone has some good experience with this and doesn't mind dumbing it down to my newbie status, I would be quite grateful.
Agree 100% with rtmistler and Shadow_7. What you're essentially asking is, "How high is up?" Fact is, you are NEVER going to have a template that's a one-size-fits-all, because every server is different. You have to accommodate the needs of the users/application, not force things into a cookie-cutter mold...that will only cause you a gazillion other problems later.

For example, for an Oracle database server, you may not even FORMAT the disks, but leave them raw, and let the DBA's use the disks for the Oracle 'file system'. Any partitioning you do will just cause them headaches and more work. Got a server that does nothing but NTP and DNS? You can probably use whatever the installer suggests...not going to be challenging there. And once you get SAN's, RAID arrays, etc., etc., involved, who knows where it takes you? Rule of thumb years ago was to have swap twice the size of your memory....now, that'll probably just slow your system down, and be pointless.

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-24-2019, 08:13 AM   #5
mvelezwhiteSBS
LQ Newbie

Distribution: CentOS and RHEL

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
A very special thank you to rtmistler, Shadow_7 and TB0ne. I'm so thankful to all of you for replying so quickly. I've been using Linux for years, but I don't consider myself to be anything more than a novice who is trying to become far more. Many principles and commands I have forgotten and it's very nice to know that there are many people here who are willing to help. I will be applying the guidance that you've all shared with me...particularly applying the "KISS" principle for now.

Maraming salamat po (many thanks, respectfully),
mvelezwhiteSBS