LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Hardware
User Name
Password
Linux - Hardware This forum is for Hardware issues.
Having trouble installing a piece of hardware? Want to know if that peripheral is compatible with Linux?

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 12-11-2018, 07:58 AM   #1
elliepiper

Distribution: Ubuntu 18

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Graphics/Video card not responding after manual kernel update.

Ok, so I bought a new PC. It's a Cyberpower brand PC, and here is the link to the machine with specs.(https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07B6...op_mb_pd_title)

I installed Linux Mint on it and wrote over Windows 10. Windows 10 is gone. There seemed to be some issues with the AMD RX 580 Graphics card. It had horizontal lines flickering when you moved the mouse or made the CPU process a task. Just green and white flickering lines. Really annoying.

So, I took this working PC with a working version of Mint (4.15 kernel) and I manually updated the kernel to 4.18. I don't know how to relay how I did this. I had help from Hexchat, and they had been kind enough to help get Linux installed from yhe start. They also advised me not to attempt the kernel update. So, this whole adventure was a foolish move on my part.

During the reboot to finish the kernel update it hung and forced me to hard reset.

(Side note: This PC had been having issues, days before, not waking up from Mint's sleep mode and was requiring a hard reset every time I needed to wake the PC back up. The time would also be on the screen saver as whatever time it was when I put it into sleep mode. It's like it froze. Anyway, that had been happening prior to my manual kernel update.)

So, it hung on reboot. I hard reset, and it came back up with the same damn kernel. Someone in Hexchat gave me a cmnd to run in terminal that looked like it just auto installed or downloaded something. I don't kmow, unfortunately. It just had a bunch of 0% to 100% complete in the output. I opted to shut it down this time with the power off in the menu instead of doing a restart. To avoid it hanging. Then I started it back up, only this time...

No signal on my monitor.

The tower power light is on.
The keyboard Num Lock key turns on and CAN be toggled off. Keyboard seems to be on, via USB to the tower.
Mouse is on, though I only assume bc it's lights are on.
The fans are not spinning.

I cannot seem to use F12, F10, ESC, DEL, SHIFT or any other special key to make my monitor show output. I need to boot from USB to reinstall the OS. -I have no personal data to salvage and want to start over.

I tested the cable and monitor elsewhere to rule them out. They both work fine when connected to my laptop. I'm worried I fried something inside with resets, or maybe the video card was dying the whole time. I don't know, but I need assistance. I have a bootable USB with Ubuntu on it. Vs 18.10. I figured if I can get it installed, maybe I won't have to futz with it so much and it'll have more support fot the hardware already in the kernel. Or maybe Mint is fine, but either way I cannot install anything with no signal on the monitor.

Help?

Last edited by elliepiper; 12-11-2018 at 08:13 AM.

Old 12-11-2018, 08:54 AM   #2
kilgoretrout

Rep: Reputation: 388Reputation: 388Reputation: 388Reputation: 388
If you can't get into your bios, this is a hardware issue unrelated to your efforts to manually install a new kernel. Given the graphical artifacts you were getting, the most likely suspect is your radeon graphics card. Try removing the graphics card and using the onboard intel video output to isolate the graphics card as the source of your problem.

Old 12-11-2018, 09:29 AM   #3
elliepiper

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilgoretrout View Post
If you can't get into your bios, this is a hardware issue unrelated to your efforts to manually install a new kernel. Given the graphical artifacts you were getting, the most likely suspect is your radeon graphics card. Try removing the graphics card and using the onboard intel video output to isolate the graphics card as the source of your problem.
Ok, that's super helpful. So, just pull it out and start the PC and I should be able to see a screen using the on board video output IF* the issue is with the graphics card. Ok. I'll let you know how that goes after work.

Last edited by elliepiper; 12-11-2018 at 09:32 AM.

Old 12-11-2018, 09:51 AM   #4
kilgoretrout

You may not have to pull the graphics card. First try just switching to your onboard video output. If that doesn't work , then pull the graphics card and try again. If you then don't get any video output, the next most likely suspect would be the power supply. Also, are you getting any diagnostic beeps when you attempt to boot?

Old 12-11-2018, 10:37 AM   #5
mrmazda
LQ Guru

Distribution: openSUSE 24/7; Debian, Knoppix, Mageia, Fedora, others

Rep: Reputation: 2066Reputation: 2066Reputation: 2066Reputation: 2066Reputation: 2066Reputation: 2066Reputation: 2066Reputation: 2066Reputation: 2066Reputation: 2066Reputation: 2066
Something else to try: BIOS reset, either via instructions in the fine manual, or removing the motherboard battery for a minute or more while the power supply cable is disconnected.

Old 12-11-2018, 02:55 PM   #6
elliepiper

Original Poster
Question

Quote:
You may not have to pull the graphics card. First try just switching to your onboard video output. If that doesn't work , then pull the graphics card and try again. If you then don't get any video output, the next most likely suspect would be the power supply.
That would be great, bc I don't know how to safely uncouple the graphic card from the computer.

Question, how do I switch to my onboard video card without having access to the monitor? It says no signal.

Also, would it be the power supply if the keyboard, mouse, and tower are all lighting up?

I need some pointers on how to remove this card if I'm going to need to remove it. I took pictures. According to my Google search, Cyberpower PCs are not set up in a typical fashion and can be hard to remove.

*scratch the pics. error 413 says the entity is too large for even one photo...

I am sad lady right now.

Last edited by elliepiper; 12-11-2018 at 03:07 PM.

Old 12-11-2018, 03:10 PM   #7
elliepiper

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmazda View Post
Something else to try: BIOS reset, either via instructions in the fine manual, or removing the motherboard battery for a minute or more while the power supply cable is disconnected.
That last tip about the battery sounds intriguing. I may try that if the other things fail. As for BIOS, I have no signal on the screen. I can't see any output, BIOS or otherwise.

Oh, and hi, MrMazda!

Last edited by elliepiper; 12-11-2018 at 03:36 PM.

Old 12-11-2018, 03:38 PM   #8
kilgoretrout

Quote:
Question, how do I switch to my onboard video card without having access to the monitor? It says no signal.
With the computer powered off, you disconnect the cable going to the monitor from the radeon graphics card and reconnect that cable to the video output port on the motherboard. Hopefully, the bios will automatically detect that there is nothing connected to the graphics card but a monitor is connected to your onboard intel graphics.

Note, the onboard intel graphics is not a separate graphics card; it's built into your intel cpu and configured through your motherboard which will have some form of video output on the motherboard which is accessible in the back of your computer along with the other external ports for usb, audio, network card, etc. There are several different types of video output, vga, dvi, hdmi and display port are the most common. Which ones are included on your motherboard will depend on your motherboard manufacturer. The most common now are hdmi, display port and dvi. The onboard graphics typically only has one port whereas graphics cards typically have more than one port. Hopefully, you will have a cable of the same type as the video port for your onboard graphics. See your user guide:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....1wRzRQIjqS.pdf

In Step 2 above, 2A is your onboard graphics and 2B is the location for your graphics card.

Old 12-11-2018, 03:40 PM   #9
mrmazda
LQ Guru

Rep: Reputation: 2066Reputation: 2066Reputation: 2066Reputation: 2066Reputation: 2066Reputation: 2066Reputation: 2066Reputation: 2066Reputation: 2066Reputation: 2066Reputation: 2066
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliepiper View Post
*scratch the pics. error 413 says the entity is too large for even one photo...
1-shrink the pictures to a reasonable size. Many different programs can shrink. Most cameras default to making them insanely huge for Internet use, but can make them much smaller via a simple settings change.
2-pastebin.com the pictures and put the URL here

Old 12-11-2018, 07:25 PM   #10
elliepiper

Original Poster
Quote:
1-shrink the pictures to a reasonable size. Many different programs can shrink. Most cameras default to making them insanely huge for Internet use, but can make them much smaller via a simple settings change.
2-pastebin.com the pictures and put the URL here
Thanks. Was on my phone before. Here they are.

The third pic would be easier to see if it were rotated 90 degress to the right. It's the under side of the right corner of the AMD card. It looks like it is attached to the motherboard itself, and I don't know which cables to look for and unplug.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rsz_amd_straight_side_view_from_left_to_right - Copy.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	144.1 KB
ID:	29144   Click image for larger version

Name:	rsz_amd_-_left_side_nearest_back_ports - Copy.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	29145   Click image for larger version

Name:	rsz_amd_-_up_close_right_side - Copy.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	29146  

Last edited by elliepiper; 12-11-2018 at 07:27 PM.

Old 12-11-2018, 08:30 PM   #11
mrmazda
LQ Guru

Your pics don't help.

All recent MSI motherboards I've looked at have the same type of PCIe X16 slot release tab as you can see here:
https://asset.msi.com/resize/image/g...a9ba1/1024.png
and other motherboard pics on msi.com.

Yours is probably the same. First remove the power cable from the SATA port end of the card, then the one or two screws affixing the card's metal tab to the back of the case. Then the tab at the SATA connector end of the slot (opposite the back of the case) needs to be pushed down from the CPU side of the card, possibly using a wood or plastic cooking spoon handle or a wooden or plastic dowel or skewer, to get the card to release from the slot's lock. The push may cause the card end to rise slightly, but whether or not it does, with the tab at least part way down you should be able to wiggle the ends of the card straight up. Once the screws are removed and the tab is sufficiently depressed, the only thing holding the card down is friction of the connectors in the PCIe slot.

Old 12-12-2018, 08:07 AM   #12
elliepiper

Original Poster
Quote:
Your pics don't help.

All recent MSI motherboards I've looked at have the same type of PCIe X16 slot release tab as you can see here:
and other motherboard pics on msi.com.

Yours is probably the same. First remove the power cable from the SATA port end of the card, then the one or two screws affixing the card's metal tab to the back of the case. Then the tab at the SATA connector end of the slot (opposite the back of the case) needs to be pushed down from the CPU side of the card, possibly using a wood or plastic cooking spoon handle or a wooden or plastic dowel or skewer, to get the card to release from the slot's lock. The push may cause the card end to rise slightly, but whether or not it does, with the tab at least part way down you should be able to wiggle the ends of the card straight up. Once the screws are removed and the tab is sufficiently depressed, the only thing holding the card down is friction of the connectors in the PCIe slot.
MrMazda, I will watch some youtube videos and give it my best try. Your directions are probably spot on, but I have a hard time visualizing it and I'm very nervous I may break something else. Also, that photo... Can you point out what I'm supposed to see? I don't see whatever tab or lever I'm supposed to see in the picture.

Old 12-12-2018, 08:10 AM   #13
elliepiper

Original Poster
Quote:
With the computer powered off, you disconnect the cable going to the monitor from the radeon graphics card and reconnect that cable to the video output port on the motherboard. Hopefully, the bios will automatically detect that there is nothing connected to the graphics card but a monitor is connected to your onboard intel graphics.

Note, the onboard intel graphics is not a separate graphics card; it's built into your intel cpu and configured through your motherboard which will have some form of video output on the motherboard which is accessible in the back of your computer along with the other external ports for usb, audio, network card, etc. There are several different types of video output, vga, dvi, hdmi and display port are the most common. Which ones are included on your motherboard will depend on your motherboard manufacturer. The most common now are hdmi, display port and dvi. The onboard graphics typically only has one port whereas graphics cards typically have more than one port. Hopefully, you will have a cable of the same type as the video port for your onboard graphics. See your user guide:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....1wRzRQIjqS.pdf

In Step 2 above, 2A is your onboard graphics and 2B is the location for your graphics card.
Oooh, interesting. Before I disassemble anything I'm gonna see about this. Thanks. This is what people mean when they suggest getting into the BIOS eh?

Old 12-12-2018, 12:23 PM   #14
mrmazda
LQ Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliepiper View Post
Can you point out what I'm supposed to see? I don't see whatever tab or lever I'm supposed to see in the picture.
Look for the chrome 2032 battery on
below and left of center of image. Now look to the 2 o'clock position from the battery. The red shaped like a fat H or a double-ended paddle at the end of the PCIe slot which is mostly chrome is the release tab/lever.