LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Bodhi
User Name
Password
Bodhi This forum is for the discussion of Bodhi Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 07-01-2018, 08:04 PM   #1
Jeff91
Bodhi Developer

Distribution: Bodhi

Rep: Reputation: 68
Bodhi 5.0.0 Release Candidate Feedback Thread

Release details here.

Old 07-02-2018, 06:40 AM   #2
kevison

Distribution: Slackware/Bodhi/Manjaro

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Congrats!

Old 07-02-2018, 10:29 AM   #3
EscuelasLinux
LQ Newbie

Found an issue in Bodhi Linux 5.0 RC 64 bits

Tried to install it on a laptop that is not connected to the Internet, but the installer crashes when trying to install GRUB, with a message that it could not install grub-efi-amd64-signed on /target.

As far as I know, the grub-efi-amd64-signed stuff is installed of UEFI machines that have secure boot activated. However, my laptop has secure boot deactivated, and it has Windoze as well as the previous Bodhi 4.0 version, which was installed without any issue.

Didn't try to install 5.0 alfa and beta on real UEFI hardware, so I don't know if this is a new issue or not.

Last edited by EscuelasLinux; 07-02-2018 at 11:27 AM.

Old 07-02-2018, 04:46 PM   #4
Jeff91
Bodhi Developer

Original Poster
Does the installer work when connected to the Internet? Not having any installer crashes here on my test systems.

Old 07-02-2018, 05:20 PM   #5
EscuelasLinux
LQ Newbie

The installer does not crash on GRUB setup when a UEFI computer is connected to the Internet. I can now pinpoint what file gets downloaded in /target/var/cache/apt/archives/ 'cause is missing in the Bodhi 5.0 iso: libefiboot1_34-1_amd64.deb

I think that file should be included, as crashing the install process for not having Internet would be very bad for a lot of world people, us included. :-D

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-02-2018, 06:13 PM   #6
Jeff91
Bodhi Developer

Original Poster
Good pinpoint. Thank you for the report.

Old 07-02-2018, 08:02 PM   #7
famewolf

Rep: Reputation: 15
Hats off to the bodhi team for their hard work on Bodhi Release Candidate 5.0. The moksha desktop looks amazing. I did note one issue on the legacy iso running in a virtualbox vm. The default theme for the browser while on the bodhi forum has me typing black text against a gray background in the reply box. It's very hard to read. MIght be an issue for newbies trying to post to the forum. Screenshot attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shot-2018-07-02_20-57-51.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	219.0 KB
ID:	28042  

Old 07-04-2018, 07:00 AM   #8
EscuelasLinux
LQ Newbie

Two more issues:

-If I open menu and point to "Places", it only shows "Home" and "Desktop". I believe the normal behavior should be to show those two defaults, AND to show whatever USB stick, external hard disk, CD, DVD or Bluray is attached to the system. To have it working this way, the packages udisks and its dependency libparted0debian1 would be needed, not only for the guys like me that use the "Places" module on desktop...

-Bodhi 5.0 64 bit includes the Linux Kernel 4.15. However, for that release the maintainer urged to move away:
https://news.softpedia.com/news/linu...w-520787.shtml

And four days ago to move away from 4.16 also:
https://news.softpedia.com/news/linu...7-521777.shtml

Old 07-04-2018, 08:42 AM   #9
Jeff91
Bodhi Developer

Original Poster
I'm not sure I understand your comment about the places module. The menu for it works the same as my Bodhi 4.5 install here and it looks fine.

Our kernel image isn't maintained by upstream kernel devs - it is maintained by Ubuntu like always. We aren't a big enough project to manage kernel updates ourselves and depending on Ubuntu for this like most derivatives makes sense.

Old 07-04-2018, 09:17 AM   #10
EscuelasLinux
LQ Newbie

Here on a fresh installed Bodhi 5.0 system -nothing else-, moving the cursor to menu -> Places only shows "Home" and "Desktop". After installing udisks and libparted0debian1, moving the cursor to menu -> Places shows "Home" and "Desktop", as well as the available partitions on the hard disk and the external devices connected, such as USB sticks...

Old 07-04-2018, 11:42 PM   #11
Jeff91
Bodhi Developer

Original Poster
Ahh, that was actually missing on my current 4.5 system as well. Seems fine to add to the base image. Will add a note to add udisks to the default package set.

Old 07-05-2018, 02:48 AM   #12
Charles4809
Bodhi Developer

Distribution: Bodhi Linux, Win 10

Rep: Reputation: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscuelasLinux View Post
The installer does not crash on GRUB setup when a UEFI computer is connected to the Internet. I can now pinpoint what file gets downloaded in /target/var/cache/apt/archives/ 'cause is missing in the Bodhi 5.0 iso: libefiboot1_34-1_amd64.deb

I think that file should be included, as crashing the install process for not having Internet would be very bad for a lot of world people, us included. :-D
Yep, we found that out shortly before the RC came out. libefiboot1 has a dependency libefivar1. We included both in the package list for the next version of bodhibuilder. Just some more testing before the bodhibuilder.deb is ready as the 32bit cdrom-repo caused some issues that should be solved by now.

Thanks for reporting anyway.

Old 07-09-2018, 03:38 PM   #13
Charles4809
Bodhi Developer

Distribution: Bodhi Linux, Win 10

Rep: Reputation: 9
Is it just me or is the 5.0 64bit RC missing the bodhi repository again after installation?
I finally got to test this as I was busy getting bodhibuilder working well with the 32 bit release and the bodhi repo was correctly added there. I inserted the sources.list line manually now for my testing. When I called dist-upgrade I saw no packages upgraded that were bodhi ones but that could be right.
Hopefully I have my testing with a proposed new bodhibuilder version done tomorrow so we can finish polishing it and create a new deb that will become available soon.

Old 07-10-2018, 10:27 AM   #14
Jeff91
Bodhi Developer

Original Poster
Bodhi repo indeed is missing on the installed systems again on the RC1 disc - when you roll a new bodhi builder script can you have it add the Bodhi 5 repos as trusted by default so I can stop missing this? So used to it just copying the installed system sources.list

Old 07-20-2018, 06:46 PM   #15
EscuelasLinux
LQ Newbie

Another small fix that could be nice, is to remove the xul-ext-ubufox package on the legacy 5.0 ISO

(Yes, that ghost package is present since the 4.x 32-bit series, even though Bodhi does not include Firefox, and its Ubufox extension is not worth to have installed, IMHO)