LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Hardware
User Name
Password
Linux - Hardware This forum is for Hardware issues.
Having trouble installing a piece of hardware? Want to know if that peripheral is compatible with Linux?

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 06-24-2018, 04:39 PM   #16
-=HIGHHIGH=-
LQ Newbie

Distribution: CentOS 7

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled

Stick one:
https://i.imgur.com/IOErEZw.jpg

Stick two:
https://i.imgur.com/OXZDzzY.jpg

I have an idea, I'll remove one stick and run the RAM test and paste the results.
Then, I'll swap and do the same.

Old 06-24-2018, 06:17 PM   #17
-=HIGHHIGH=-
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Looks like it's the motherboard, ill order a new one online.

Thanks for all your input guys, greatly appreciated!

Old 06-24-2018, 06:57 PM   #18
mrmazda
LQ Guru

Distribution: openSUSE 24/7; Debian, Knoppix, Mageia, Fedora, others

Rep: Reputation: 2071Reputation: 2071Reputation: 2071Reputation: 2071Reputation: 2071Reputation: 2071Reputation: 2071Reputation: 2071Reputation: 2071Reputation: 2071Reputation: 2071
Quote:
Originally Posted by -=HIGHHIGH=- View Post
Looks like it's the motherboard, ill order a new one online.
Haste not. The memory controller is on the CPU, not the motherboard.

Old 06-25-2018, 12:28 AM   #19
-=HIGHHIGH=-
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmazda View Post
Haste not. The memory controller is on the CPU, not the motherboard.

Whats your thoughts on this:

- MoBo see's both sticks of RAM.
- only able to use one stick of RAM.
- removing one stick, computer boots.
- removing another stick, computer boots.
- swapping either stick onto the other RAM slot ..computer doesn't boot.

In fact, what i found was when i used the other RAM slot, the screen backlight didn't even come on!
We know that the onboard GPU uses a portion of RAM as it's memory (explaining why 500MB was missing on all tests).

Whats the thoughts here, I'm assuming this could be a dropped laptop at some point and have a lil damage on the board.
Assuming if this was a CPU issue it's not likely that one slot wouldn't be working..

Share your thoughts, very interested.

Old 06-25-2018, 03:01 AM   #20
jsbjsb001

Distribution: Currently: OpenMandriva. Previously: openSUSE, PCLinuxOS, CentOS, among others over the years.

Rep: Reputation: 2063Reputation: 2063Reputation: 2063Reputation: 2063Reputation: 2063Reputation: 2063Reputation: 2063Reputation: 2063Reputation: 2063Reputation: 2063Reputation: 2063
Based on everything you've said and described;

I'd say that it's either once again faulty RAM or a faulty memory controller. It's most certainly a hardware issue IMHO.

Old 06-25-2018, 03:37 AM   #21
-=HIGHHIGH=-
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Swapping either RAM stick to the identical slot on the board uses that individual stick of RAM to it's expected capacity.
Conclusion: not the RAM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbjsb001 View Post
..a faulty memory controller.
I'll research this, thank you.

Quote:
It's most certainly a hardware issue IMHO.
Agreed! One RAM slot is faulty (or whats managing that slot), more research needed as per the normal causes for this..

Last edited by -=HIGHHIGH=-; 06-25-2018 at 03:39 AM.

Old 06-25-2018, 03:40 AM   #22
ondoho
LQ Addict

Rep: Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053
some mobos require ram sticks to be two of a pair.
i once had this; i bought one extra ram stick, and found out it didn't fit with the other.
only solution was to sell them, and get a matching pair.

also some mobos are very picky about how you put the ram in.
say you have four slots, but only two sticks, you must put them in slot 1 & 3, no other way.

there might be the tiniest amount of dirt or oxidisation on the stick or in the plug.
use some canned air, maybe even a wipe with cloth or gentle brush (but one that doesn't lose hairs).

Old 06-25-2018, 04:14 AM   #23
jsbjsb001

Distribution: Currently: OpenMandriva. Previously: openSUSE, PCLinuxOS, CentOS, among others over the years.

Rep: Reputation: 2063Reputation: 2063Reputation: 2063Reputation: 2063Reputation: 2063Reputation: 2063Reputation: 2063Reputation: 2063Reputation: 2063Reputation: 2063Reputation: 2063
Quote:
Originally Posted by -=HIGHHIGH=- View Post
Swapping either RAM stick to the identical slot on the board uses that individual stick of RAM to it's expected capacity.
Conclusion: not the RAM.
I'll research this, thank you.
Agreed! One RAM slot is faulty (or whats managing that slot), more research needed as per the normal causes for this..
How about this?

Try ondoho's suggestions, and if you still have the same problem;

Replace the RAM in question with known GOOD RAM that you have ***verified*** as being ***100% compatible*** with your board, and if you still have the same problem; then my bet would be the memory controller that is faulty.

Look at/download the manual FOR the board in question and this should tell you EXACTLY which RAM modules ARE compatible with it.

Old 06-25-2018, 04:21 AM   #24
-=HIGHHIGH=-
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by ondoho View Post
some mobos require ram sticks to be two of a pair.
i once had this; i bought one extra ram stick, and found out it didn't fit with the other.
only solution was to sell them, and get a matching pair.
Both sticks match

Quote:
also some mobos are very picky about how you put the ram in.
say you have four slots, but only two sticks, you must put them in slot 1 & 3, no other way.
Only two slots!

Quote:
there might be the tiniest amount of dirt or oxidisation on the stick or in the plug.
use some canned air, maybe even a wipe with cloth or gentle brush (but one that doesn't lose hairs).
I did see something on the pins on the slot thats faulty, i did some cleaning (but as its mounted sideways in a laptop it's quite difficult to really get in there.
It does look near perfect now and no good results after that.
Possibly something underneath, I'll see if i can unmount it without melting solder etc

Thanks for the suggestions!

Old 06-25-2018, 04:27 AM   #25
-=HIGHHIGH=-
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Quote:
How about this?

Try ondoho's suggestions, and if you still have the same problem;

Replace the RAM in question with known GOOD RAM that you have ***verified*** as being ***100% compatible*** with your board, and if you still have the same problem; then my bet would be the memory controller that is faulty.
Please note that both sticks work 100% (and pass on memtest) when using slot A!
Neither stick works in slot B.

I have tested using either stick in slot B (with nothing in slot A) and the machine wont boot, the screen doesn't even come on.
The graphics are onboard graphics that use a percentage of RAM, it makes sense if no RAM were available this would fail steal it's needed allocation and therefore to power the GPU at all.

The above is why i'm 100% sure it's not the sticks, both passed memtest with flying colours when tested individually on Slot A.

Quote:
Look at/download the manual FOR the board in question and this should tell you EXACTLY which RAM modules ARE compatible with it.
RAM came with the computer, its a Lenovo z585.

Old 06-25-2018, 04:32 AM   #26
jsbjsb001

Once again:

Quote:
Please just try that. This way we can confirm that it's NOT the RAM itself at fault and it therefore MUST be something else (like either the RAM slot itself or the memory controller).

Is the RAM slot in question loose in any way? Does it move even slightly when you touch it - the slot itself I mean - not the RAM module itself.

Old 06-25-2018, 04:46 AM   #27
-=HIGHHIGH=-
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Quote:
Once again..
I live in the jungle, no spare sticks available without purchasing them!

Quote:
Is the RAM slot in question loose in any way? Does it move even slightly when you touch it - the slot itself I mean - not the RAM module itself.
Nope, it's solid. Thanks for the good suggestion

Old 06-25-2018, 05:01 AM   #28
jsbjsb001

Well then, here are your possibilities;

* The RAM module(s) themselves - maybe unlikely given what we know to date.
* The RAM slot itself - maybe, but I have my doubts about that.
* The memory controller itself - most likely to my way of thinking, once again based on what we know to date.

The only other suggestion I can currently think of would be to try replacing the processor with a known good one; this way if it IS the memory controller, that should fix it and you will more likely than not know in that case, that it is indeed the memory controller at fault.

Good luck with it.

Old 06-25-2018, 05:48 AM   #29
mrmazda
LQ Guru

Distribution: openSUSE 24/7; Debian, Knoppix, Mageia, Fedora, others

Rep: Reputation: 2071Reputation: 2071Reputation: 2071Reputation: 2071Reputation: 2071Reputation: 2071Reputation: 2071Reputation: 2071Reputation: 2071Reputation: 2071Reputation: 2071
I don't see anywhere that you did a BIOS reset before or after flashing. How much trouble is it to remove the motherboard's battery or find a reset jumper? I wouldn't spend any money on anything without trying a BIOS reset first.

Old 06-25-2018, 07:03 AM   #30
-=HIGHHIGH=-
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmazda View Post
I don't see anywhere that you did a BIOS reset before or after flashing. How much trouble is it to remove the motherboard's battery or find a reset jumper? I wouldn't spend any money on anything without trying a BIOS reset first.
Had no idea this could affect the RAM slots, yes I shall remove the battery and reset the CMOS once it's finished with this huge download.
Thanks for the advice