LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > Programming
User Name
Password
Programming This forum is for all programming questions.
The question does not have to be directly related to Linux and any language is fair game.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 06-15-2018, 07:56 AM   #1
zak100

Rep: Reputation: 2
Windows:AndroidStudio Kotlin: I am not able to display Hello World

Hi,
I am using the following e-book:
Kotlin / Android Studio 3.0
Development Essentials
Android 8

I am trying to execute the first program page 12.On page 15 it says:

The example project created for us when we selected the option to create an activity consists of a user interface containing a label that will read “Hello World!” when the application is executed.

I cant understant what the above means. Does it mean that when i would run the application it would show "Hello World".

I cant see this.
I have attached the image of final screen.
Some body please guide me.
Zulfi.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	app1execution_img.png
Views:	67
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	27919  

Old 06-15-2018, 09:08 AM   #2
TB0ne
LQ Guru

Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS

Rep: Reputation: 7970Reputation: 7970Reputation: 7970Reputation: 7970Reputation: 7970Reputation: 7970Reputation: 7970Reputation: 7970Reputation: 7970Reputation: 7970Reputation: 7970
Quote:
Originally Posted by zak100 View Post
Hi,
I am using the following e-book:
Kotlin / Android Studio 3.0
Development Essentials
Android 8

I am trying to execute the first program page 12.On page 15 it says:

The example project created for us when we selected the option to create an activity consists of a user interface containing a label that will read “Hello World!” when the application is executed.

I cant understant what the above means. Does it mean that when i would run the application it would show "Hello World". I cant see this. I have attached the image of final screen. Some body please guide me.
We will again attempt to 'guide' you, by telling you to read the instructions. You've been here for several years, and you seem to ask questions without showing any effort of your own, despite being 'guided' to the "Question Guidelines" link many times. This thread is a great example:
https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...tp-4175524921/

..where you claim to be a teacher, and had been working on a Perl script for more than a YEAR, to do nothing but a Gmail notification. Yet you couldn't seem to read the installation instructions for the various modules. And your other recent threads where you do nothing but ask for links...we are not Google, so don't ask us to look things up for you:
https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...hm-4175624903/
https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...al-4175625608/
https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...la-4175631338/ (**code copied from another website**)
https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...py-4175631382/ (**code copied from another website**)
https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...on-4175631988/ (**code copied from another website**)

You are still just copying code, pasting it here, and asking us to explain it to you, after claiming it's your own. You said four years ago that you were a teacher, and were asked then to not do such things. Have your skills and knowledge not progressed ANY in four years?

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-15-2018, 01:11 PM   #3
zak100

Original Poster
If you dont know the answer please dont reply. Let others to help me.

Zulfi.

Old 06-15-2018, 01:23 PM   #4
ondoho
LQ Addict

Rep: Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB0ne View Post
You've been here for several years, and you seem to ask questions without showing any effort of your own, despite being 'guided' to the "Question Guidelines" link many times. This thread is a great example:
https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...tp-4175524921/
oh, it's that person, and that thread!
for those who don't know: over 84 posts op keeps demanding a handout for a perl script, inventing ever crazier reasons why it is in our best interest to do so, and why he cannot do it himself, despite being a very experienced Linux/Unix user, and how very wrong we all are about just about everything.

towards the end he wrote:
Quote:
Hi,
If you cant provide me any solution please accept your defeat. Instead of providing me solution, you are asking for solutions from me. You are discouraging me from promoting Unix. Due to your non-cooperative behaviour i have decided to boycott your forum.

GoodLuck.

Zulfi.
unfortunately he did not stop posting even after that, got abusive and sexist (that's why i'm calling him a he), etc.

Old 06-16-2018, 12:00 AM   #5
zak100

Original Poster
If you have anything to say start your own thread. Dont hijack my threads.

I am a sincere LQ member and everybody please support me so that these people should not be successful in spreading hate and non-technical stuff on this forum. Your posts speak about your mentality & nobody would like your sick and useless posts. You are spoiling the good name of this forum. I would not allow you to succeed.

I did not boycott last time. I actually got busy in Java and I am very good in it. So I did not post anything. But then I received the account termination email due to lack of postings. I used it as a cue that LQ people need me. So I have come back. I would not go away because I have many Qs to ask about Adroid, Python, Algorithms and DB.

You need not bother me.

Zulfi.

Last edited by zak100; 06-16-2018 at 12:03 AM.

Old 06-16-2018, 05:27 PM   #6
TB0ne
LQ Guru

Rep: Reputation: 7970Reputation: 7970Reputation: 7970Reputation: 7970Reputation: 7970Reputation: 7970Reputation: 7970Reputation: 7970Reputation: 7970Reputation: 7970Reputation: 7970
Quote:
If you have anything to say start your own thread. Dont hijack my threads.
He was replying to your post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zak100
If you dont know the answer please dont reply. Let others to help me.
The answer involves reading the documentation that you already have. And how, exactly, am I STOPPING anyone else from answering you?? And you've posted a screen-shot that's too tiny to read, with the only messages on it saying "Build completed successfully". Are we supposed to guess as to the error(s)/message(s)??
Quote:
I am a sincere LQ member and everybody please support me so that these people should not be successful in spreading hate and non-technical stuff on this forum. Your posts speak about your mentality & nobody would like your sick and useless posts. You are spoiling the good name of this forum. I would not allow you to succeed.
"Sick and useless"? Like you getting abusive, sexist, and nasty the last time you were here??? Your behavior is what's stuck with folks here; your posting history is available for anyone to see. You want support? Earn it. Stop asking open-ended questions and show some effort of your own.
Quote:
I did not boycott last time. I actually got busy in Java and I am very good in it. So I did not post anything. But then I received the account termination email due to lack of postings. I used it as a cue that LQ people need me. So I have come back. I would not go away because I have many Qs to ask about Adroid, Python, Algorithms and DB. You need not bother me.
Sorry, but if you're a 'very good' programmer, it's hard to see how you're not able to run a "hello world" program. And the "LQ people need you"?? When are you going to ANSWER questions, then, rather than ask?

Again, you are doing nothing but deflecting and trying to blame others for your lack of effort, as you did before when you got abusive and nasty. Same thing here. You've posted code that you copied/pasted from other websites, and asked us to explain it. For a 'very good' programmer, that's quite odd. Even more odd that you can't even understand the error message.

Post what **YOU, PERSONALLY** have written/done/tried to resolve this error, and we'll be happy to help.

Last edited by TB0ne; 06-16-2018 at 05:34 PM.

Old 06-17-2018, 01:20 AM   #7
zak100

Original Poster
Hi,
<Again, you are doing nothing>
I am increasing data base of LQ and one day due to may efforts it would become the largest Q forum. However your comments would indicate internal rift in LQ and and this is painful.

< You've posted code that you copied/pasted from other websites, and asked us to explain it. For a 'very good' programmer, that's quite odd. Even more odd that you can't even understand the error message. >
Stop lying. There is no code copied here. Its a message explaining what I got after running a example from tutorial. Anyway its my style and its a popular one. If you start something new you have to follow the tutorial.

<
Sorry, but if you're a 'very good' programmer, it's hard to see how you're not able to run a "hello world" program.>
I know about your skills you are a fake. You failed miserably during my Ubuntu installation and then stopped people from posting by saying that you have already helped me. You said that Ubuntu did not install. However it was actually installed and I used it for several months.

Your skills also resulted in wasting my time during my question about gmail SMTP. You told me the several solutions but none of them worked.

Are you the owner of LQ? If not then dont tell others to stop helping me. Its my style. Let the people work according to their style.

I will not reply to your comments now because you are wasting my whole day. Do what ever you like. I would do what i like.

Zulfi.

Old 06-17-2018, 08:43 AM   #8
TB0ne
LQ Guru

Quote:
Hi,
<Again, you are doing nothing>
I am increasing data base of LQ and one day due to may efforts it would become the largest Q forum. However your comments would indicate internal rift in LQ and and this is painful.
You increase a database with MEANINGFUL content. Not by reposting code from other sources, and repeatedly ignoring the forum rules and guidelines. You rarely post, so I find it hard to think it's 'painful' to you in any way, other than not getting the handouts you're looking for.
Quote:
< You've posted code that you copied/pasted from other websites, and asked us to explain it. For a 'very good' programmer, that's quite odd. Even more odd that you can't even understand the error message. >
Stop lying. There is no code copied here. Its a message explaining what I got after running a example from tutorial. Anyway its my style and its a popular one. If you start something new you have to follow the tutorial.
Sorry, wrong. ALL of the code indicated I found on other websites, lifted verbatim. Anyone else can freely look for it. You are lying, as you've done in the past. Re-read things carefully, since I posted links to your OTHER posts, where you DID copy code...I never said it was copied/pasted here, mainly because you **STILL** haven't shown us your code or even given us an error message.
Quote:
<Sorry, but if you're a 'very good' programmer, it's hard to see how you're not able to run a "hello world" program.>
I know about your skills you are a fake. You failed miserably during my Ubuntu installation and then stopped people from posting by saying that you have already helped me. You said that Ubuntu did not install. However it was actually installed and I used it for several months.
Again, how, exactly do I 'stop' anyone from posting? This is a public forum...ANYONE can reply if they want to.
Quote:
Your skills also resulted in wasting my time during my question about gmail SMTP. You told me the several solutions but none of them worked.
And we told you to actually DO something, and read instructions. You would not, did not try, and kept whining about things. As you're doing here. NUMEROUS people (not just me), told you to read the instructions.
Quote:
Are you the owner of LQ? If not then dont tell others to stop helping me. Its my style. Let the people work according to their style. I will not reply to your comments now because you are wasting my whole day. Do what ever you like. I would do what i like.
Again, WHERE am I 'stopping' anyone from replying?? And you "doing what you like", is ignoring the forum rules and question guidelines. Read them. If I were the site owner, you'd have been banned long ago.

You are **STILL** not showing your own effort, you are not giving us an error message (again, the screen-shot is useless and too small to read), and are somehow blaming everyone else here for this. You have been here ELEVEN YEARS, and have done this pretty much consistently.

Last edited by TB0ne; 06-17-2018 at 09:15 AM.

Old 06-17-2018, 08:52 AM   #9
ondoho
LQ Addict

Rep: Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053
TB0ne is not stopping anybody from replying, and hasn't said so either.

personally i think if you don't radically change your attitude, and start reading more and actually listening to the advice given, you won't ever get satisfying reults here on LQ.

since this is a character problem, and not a technology/knowledge problem, i suspect it's the same elsewhere.

Old 06-17-2018, 11:09 PM   #10
zak100

Original Poster
Hi,
I think in the past in connection with Ubuntu installation he explicitly stopped the people from posting on my thread. It would take time and that's why i am not doing the search. However the other technique is to state the things which you did. Such statements prevent the people from posting because people cant ignore the seniority principle. This is the attitude problem and you both must change your attitude. This shows that you have created a group on the forum and you are subdividing people.

Zulfi.

Old 06-18-2018, 06:51 AM   #11
TB0ne
LQ Guru

Quote:
Hi,
I think in the past in connection with Ubuntu installation he explicitly stopped the people from posting on my thread.
Again, you need to explain HOW I can stop anyone from replying??? How can I do that? Where was that said?? Or is it more likely that people read your comments and saw your attitude, and just DIDN'T respond because of your lack of effort and attitude?
Quote:
It would take time and that's why i am not doing the search.
So you think WE should take the time to do your search for you???? No, you have the problem; you show some effort.
Quote:
However the other technique is to state the things which you did. Such statements prevent the people from posting because people cant ignore the seniority principle. This is the attitude problem and you both must change your attitude. This shows that you have created a group on the forum and you are subdividing people.
No, this shows you STILL have shown zero effort, haven't posted the code or the error message, and expect others to babysit you. Not going to happen.

Old 06-18-2018, 08:19 AM   #12
zak100

Original Poster
Hi,
This thread is an example that nobody is responding. You hijacked it in the beginning. In other threads I got 4 replies on the first day. You are taking advantage of your seniority and using this to stop my learning process and my goal to make LQ the world's largest forum. But you won't win. I wanted to give you a sigh of relief by not posting questions on linux but now i think you dont deserve it. I would post questions both on linux and windows and this would be a great headache for you.

You dont know anything about android programming and that's why instead of answering my questions you have started to create hurdles for me. You dont want me to post to promote Qs on android prograaming because this your weak point. But this would go against you and people would realize your aims. If you know anything about android programming answer my question.
No answer would again prove that you are a fake.

Zulfi.

Old 06-18-2018, 08:30 AM   #13
TB0ne
LQ Guru

Quote:
Hi,
This thread is an example that nobody is responding. You hijacked it in the beginning. In other threads I got 4 replies on the first day. You are taking advantage of your seniority and using this to stop my learning process
No, no one is responding because:
  • You have a bad attitude
  • You have shown no effort/source code/anything that you've done or tried
  • You have not even given an error message that is readable
That's why. Grow up; I could post here as much as I want, and that DOES NOT STOP anyone else from doing so, does it? Your argument makes zero sense. And your 'learning process'??? You've said before that YOU ARE A TEACHER of these things, and you've been here NINE YEARS...how much more learning does it take for you, before you can write any code of your own, and show some of your own effort? Or at least read the forum rules????

::edit:: and for a 'very good programmer', who has been working with mobile phone programming for NINE YEARS:
https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...-linux-835336/

...it's even more odd that a "hello world" program is proving difficult.
Quote:
and my goal to make LQ the world's largest forum.
It already is, and given the fact you haven't posted anything here in years, and NEVER answer questions for anyone else, you're not helping. Most of your posts are open ended questions with no details, and abusive behavior like you're displaying here.
Quote:
But you won't win. I wanted to give you a sigh of relief by not posting questions on linux but now i think you dont deserve it. I would post questions both on linux and windows and this would be a great headache for you.
I don't care what you do, where you post, or what you ask. I think nothing about you in either matter.
Quote:
You dont know anything about android programming and that's why instead of answering my questions you have started to create hurdles for me. You dont want me to post to promote Qs on android prograaming because this your weak point. But this would go against you and people would realize your aims. If you know anything about android programming answer my question. No answer would again prove that you are a fake.
My 'aims'??? Again grow up. We've said from the beginning we'd help, but you **STILL HAVE NOT GIVEN US AN ERROR MESSAGE** AGAIN, since you apparently can't read or understand these words...the screen shot is TOO SMALL to read. Do you understand that???? You've been asked to provide the error and haven't. You've been asked to provide the code and haven't. What do you think anyone, anywhere, is going to be able to tell you??? That's like calling an auto-mechanic on the phone and saying "my car doesn't work, tell me how to fix it", and then calling them 'fake' when they can't answer...because you haven't told them anything.

Either post your code and error(s), or there is zero point in you posting anything.

Last edited by TB0ne; 06-18-2018 at 08:47 AM.

Old 06-18-2018, 12:48 PM   #14
zak100

Original Poster
Okay, if you are really serious I would come back to this prob again in a day or two. I have installed everything. As such its android studio's frame work. The book does not mention any code in the first program. In the 2nd program it says that it prints "hello World" but I cant see that message. As I told you there is no code. I would provide you the book's link. I got some error message but I did not copy it. I have to run it again. I have to read the book pages again. I have forgotten some steps. Right now I got involved in another project and deadline is very short. So i have to finish it first.
Zulfi.

Old 06-18-2018, 01:01 PM   #15
TB0ne
LQ Guru

Quote:
Okay, if you are really serious I would come back to this prob again in a day or two. I have installed everything. As such its android studio's frame work. The book does not mention any code in the first program. In the 2nd program it says that it prints "hello World" but I cant see that message. As I told you there is no code.
There's NO CODE??? How, exactly, do you have a program with no code? And in your VERY FIRST POST you said (bold added for emphasis only): "I am trying to execute the first program page 12." So how, exactly, are you executing that 'first program' when you now say it has no code, at all????? And again, the tiny screen-shot you posted shows it clearly HAS compiled code. Which lie are you going with here? That there is (somehow) a program with no code, or that you didn't copy/paste it?
Quote:
I would provide you the book's link.
I am not going to read some book to try to give you free advice. Either answer the questions, obey the forum rules, or figure it out yourself. Post your code and messages HERE, don't expect people to chase things down. If you want that level of help, then you need to hire a consultant and pay them.
Quote:
I got some error message but I did not copy it. I have to run it again. I have to read the book pages again. I have forgotten some steps. Right now I got involved in another project and deadline is very short. So i have to finish it first.
So again, you post no code, no errors and didn't even bother to write them down, and you are actually WONDERING WHY no one can help you? And after working "mobile programming" for EIGHT YEARS now:
https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...-linux-835336/

..you should be able to understand a simple line in the opening parts of a how-to book.