LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 06-02-2011, 05:38 PM   #1
abrinister

Distribution: Arch Linux

Rep: Reputation: 38
Thunderbird cannot connect to Yahoo! Mail anymore

Recently, or more specifically, yesterday, Thunderbird started telling me that the IMAP Yahoo server does not accept my password encryption. I checked in the settings, and it says it is "Normal Password". I then change it to "Encrypted Password" and then change it back after it reloads and tells me the encryption is wrong. After I change it back, it works fine for about 10 minutes, after which it tells me the encryption is wrong, even though its on "Normal Password". Mad, I delete the account and start a new one. The account manager then tells me that my password is wrong, writing something like

Quote:
Configuration could not be verified - is the username or password wrong?
Seeing as I tried to do this about 50 times, I doubt I typed my password in wrong 50 times. My other account, a Gmail one with IMAP as well, works just fine. Is the IMAP address of Yahoo different now? Did this change yesterday or am I doing something wrong?

PS: My firewall is off. I have also installed the WebMail and the Yahoo Webmail Thunderbird Extensions.

Thanks

Alex

Old 06-02-2011, 06:39 PM   #2
bsdunix

Distribution: BeOS, BSD, Caldera, CTOS, Debian, LFS, Mac, Mandrake, Red Hat, Slackware, Solaris, SuSE

Rep: Reputation: 80
Are you specifying port 993 for incoming?

Old 06-02-2011, 07:41 PM   #3
craigevil

Distribution: Debian Sid/RPIOS

Rep: Reputation: 534Reputation: 534Reputation: 534Reputation: 534Reputation: 534Reputation: 534
How do I receive my Yahoo! Mail using a different email program? | Yahoo! Mail Help - http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mai...3t9sZSzea7myN4

Quote:
The ability to access Yahoo! Mail using an email reader program such as Outlook, Eudora, or Thunderbird is only available to customers of our premium Yahoo! Mail Plus service. To determine whether you have purchased this service, please visit the My Services page.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:00 PM   #4
abrinister

Original Poster
Thanks, craigevil, for that link for helping setup Thunderbird for Yahoo!. Since I don't use POP, I didn't use that but I changed the port number for my SMTP server to 587 (it was 465 before). Now Thunderbird receives my messages without issues.

Thanks

Alex

Old 06-02-2011, 09:47 PM   #5
bsdunix

Distribution: BeOS, BSD, Caldera, CTOS, Debian, LFS, Mac, Mandrake, Red Hat, Slackware, Solaris, SuSE

Rep: Reputation: 80
Interesting, change an outgoing port to get incoming mail. Glad you got it figured out.

Old 06-02-2011, 10:01 PM   #6
abrinister

Original Poster
Actually, I think I realize the problem. Since the port for outgoing communications was wrong, could it be that Thunderbird could not find the "authentication server" in order to login to my account? If that is so, then that is why changing the port worked. Maybe Thunderbird uses SMTP to login to my email account. Or maybe I just got lucky. Who knows.

Thanks

Alex

Old 06-04-2011, 12:46 PM   #7
abrinister

Original Poster
This is weird, but yesterday, I was checking my mail and TB told me that it cannot reach the SMTP server. I went back into the settings and changed the port number back to 465. Interestingly enough, it works perfectly now.

Alex

Old 07-19-2017, 10:03 AM   #8
mark_alfred

Distribution: Ubuntu Linux 16.04, Debian 10, LineageOS 14.1

Rep: Reputation: 210Reputation: 210Reputation: 210
This exact same thing happened to me yesterday (2017/07/18, or long after this thread was created), and I'm still trying to figure it out. I notice that it was solved via changing the SMTP port, so I'll try that. Still, I had been using Thunderbird during the past six months, and did not have this issue (I was using Ubuntu, and only recently switched to Debian, so maybe there's an issue there). I dunno. Weird. ETA: I did try changing the SMTP port as was suggested, and that did not change things.

Last edited by mark_alfred; 07-19-2017 at 10:06 AM.