LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - General
User Name
Password
Linux - General This Linux forum is for general Linux questions and discussion.
If it is Linux Related and doesn't seem to fit in any other forum then this is the place.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 04-25-2024, 05:38 AM   #1
linuxuser371038
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
What jobs allow one to do linux and coding without interacting directly with people or under pressure?

I have been in internet marketing for over a decade. I know some see it as 'sleazy' but it is whatever you make it. You can choose to promote scummy products like penis pills or ethical stuff your are into however the latter may be harder to make a buck from and requires more creativity.

I learned coding and made the jump to linux around 2016, making automation bots for the marketing.

I currently enjoy some passive income from my efforts over the years and have not worked for over a year. Once my basic monetary requirements were taken care of I found myself losing interest in working.

Even so, I know full well the income could disappear any time, which it has done in the past, having had many long troughs where making money again seemed impossible, so keep an eye on new projects I could undertake.

Since the coding and linux infrastructure has been my favorite part, using it as a vehicle for the marketing, I wonder if there were direct jobs I could do related to this stuff as marketing products that I was not personally interested in was not that motivating once the baseline money to live had been met.

Of course there are things like sysadmin and programming however both I feel would make me beholden to someone else whereas with marketing I can work as much or as little as I want.

Are there any fields which may still offer the freedom of marketing but more directly related to these things?

All I have thought of so far is perhaps producing a product to then sell/rent out. I have hated ebay for a long time due to how it favors buyers and treats sellers like crap so I had thought of making an online market which was fairer to sellers and using crypto maybe for payments. Of course would be a large undertaking but I have the luxury of time and looking for something to sink my teeth in to.

Even so would probably want to bring other coders into it and seems like it would be an interesting project working with other coders on a shared vision, having only coded solo so far; though I can envision that can also bring its own teething troubles but already being financially independent removes a lot of the outcome dependence.

So my main criteria summarized are:
-linux and python related
-no 'man' above me telling me what to do which rules out freelance coding
-no general pressure to work to deadlines other than the ones I set for myself

Last edited by linuxuser371038; 04-25-2024 at 05:40 AM.

Old 04-25-2024, 06:51 AM   #2
pan64
LQ Addict

Distribution: debian/ubuntu/suse ...

Rep: Reputation: 7318Reputation: 7318Reputation: 7318Reputation: 7318Reputation: 7318Reputation: 7318Reputation: 7318Reputation: 7318Reputation: 7318Reputation: 7318Reputation: 7318
that is quite simple, it is your own company.

Old 04-25-2024, 08:33 AM   #3
TB0ne
LQ Guru

Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS

Rep: Reputation: 7970Reputation: 7970Reputation: 7970Reputation: 7970Reputation: 7970Reputation: 7970Reputation: 7970Reputation: 7970Reputation: 7970Reputation: 7970Reputation: 7970
Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxuser371038 View Post
I have been in internet marketing for over a decade. I know some see it as 'sleazy' but it is whatever you make it. You can choose to promote scummy products like penis pills or ethical stuff your are into however the latter may be harder to make a buck from and requires more creativity.

I learned coding and made the jump to linux around 2016, making automation bots for the marketing. I currently enjoy some passive income from my efforts over the years and have not worked for over a year. Once my basic monetary requirements were taken care of I found myself losing interest in working. Even so, I know full well the income could disappear any time, which it has done in the past, having had many long troughs where making money again seemed impossible, so keep an eye on new projects I could undertake.

Since the coding and linux infrastructure has been my favorite part, using it as a vehicle for the marketing, I wonder if there were direct jobs I could do related to this stuff as marketing products that I was not personally interested in was not that motivating once the baseline money to live had been met. Of course there are things like sysadmin and programming however both I feel would make me beholden to someone else whereas with marketing I can work as much or as little as I want. Are there any fields which may still offer the freedom of marketing but more directly related to these things?

So my main criteria summarized are:
-linux and python related
-no 'man' above me telling me what to do which rules out freelance coding
-no general pressure to work to deadlines other than the ones I set for myself
So let's sum up: you want a 'job' where:
  • You have no deadlines
  • You have zero pressure
  • You don't have to deal with/talk to/see any other people
  • You don't want to have a boss of any type
Yet you still expect to make money??? Do you not see any problems with the scenario you just described??? ANY job, anywhere, involves two things: something getting created that's of value and someone buying it. If I ask you to code something that I need in two months and you agree to the job, then I will fully EXPECT what I paid for when I asked for it. Even if you work for yourself, the 'man' above you is your CUSTOMER. They aren't going to want to hear whining about you not wanting a deadline, or the 'pressure' of things.

And this:
Quote:
All I have thought of so far is perhaps producing a product to then sell/rent out. I have hated ebay for a long time due to how it favors buyers and treats sellers like crap so I had thought of making an online market which was fairer to sellers and using crypto maybe for payments. Of course would be a large undertaking but I have the luxury of time and looking for something to sink my teeth in to. Even so would probably want to bring other coders into it and seems like it would be an interesting project working with other coders on a shared vision, having only coded solo so far; though I can envision that can also bring its own teething troubles but already being financially independent removes a lot of the outcome dependence.
...is absolutely the peak of irony, after reading the first part of your post. You somehow want to work with other coders (who are people, right?) on a website that people use and would expect to WORK (that'd be PRESSURE, right??) 100% of the time, and if it didn't, you'd have to deal with those users (again...PEOPLE) who would want that site up ASAP (a....DEADLINE). Or do you somehow expect to just tell the users, "Hey, it's too much pressure and I don't want to work today...come back whenever"??

Think hard about what you're asking.