LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > General
User Name
Password
General This forum is for non-technical general discussion which can include both Linux and non-Linux topics. Have fun!

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 04-29-2024, 08:18 PM   #46
cwizardone
LQ Veteran

Distribution: Slackware64-current with "True Multilib" and KDE4Town.

Rep: Reputation: 7287Reputation: 7287Reputation: 7287Reputation: 7287Reputation: 7287Reputation: 7287Reputation: 7287Reputation: 7287Reputation: 7287Reputation: 7287Reputation: 7287

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeratul View Post
the development of the James Bond movies is best example.

Roger Moore was clean,... and today, it is brutal pure.

The movie check should recheck all modern James Bond movies.
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=brutality+...+movies&ia=web

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full...1.2018.1423208
The Bond films are a Sunday School picnic compared to some of the absolute garbage being called "movies" these days.
IMHO, Sean Connery was the best Bond, followed by Pierce Brosnan and then Roger Moore. I thought George Lazenby did a good job, but he was allegedly so difficult to work with he was fired as soon as the Bond movie he made was finished.

Last edited by cwizardone; 04-30-2024 at 08:36 AM. Reason: Typo.

Old Today, 07:57 AM   #47
_blackhole_

Distribution: FreeBSD

Rep: Reputation: 68
There is a series currently on Amazon based on the classic "Fallout" series of PC games. I only briefly played the first game (1997).

As I understand from the reviewers/fans, it's quite faithful to the Fallout series in general.

The big problem it has however (aside from acting), is the gratuitous violence spectacle and "shock factor" which seems to be at the core of the production. There are graphic decapitations, dismemberment, horrific gunshot injuries, cannibalism, etc, etc.

And that's all ok for 15 or 16 year olds to watch...

But as with anything which comes from the US: Don't you dare show a pair of breasts or "god forbid" a penis or vagina... i.e. natural bits of our anatomy, for fear of causing offence...

But yes you can have a graphic slow mo of a large calibre round entering someone's body and exiting, complete with gibs and bits of brain flying.

Old Today, 10:08 AM   #48
enorbet

Distribution: Slackware = Main OpSys

Rep: Reputation: 4435Reputation: 4435Reputation: 4435Reputation: 4435Reputation: 4435Reputation: 4435Reputation: 4435Reputation: 4435Reputation: 4435Reputation: 4435Reputation: 4435
The base problem with legal concerns over media content is that there is no known direct connection to motivating real world activity. What stimulates one person, turns off someone else. Look up common behaviours of for example pedophiles and discover some of them are turned on by innocuous birthday party scenes and Girl Scout Manuals, just like some people are strongly attracted to the Sears Catalog underwear sections.

As for violence, I spent untold hours playing early ultra violent video games like the Quake series and found it challenging and fun but never once imagined it would be "interesting" to blow people up and listen to body parts splashing in a pond. People are just wired differently and unless you want a legal system for Future Crime like in the Sci Fi film "Minority Report", the Law needs to stay largely reactive. I really don't think any of us would enjoy being pulled over by a Trooper because "you looked like you were thinking of driving recklessly".

IMHO the only way to minimize crime is level the playing field so most don't see crime as attractive at all compared to the justifiably legal alternatives. Personally I would never even think of stealing a loaf of bread, excepting if I and my family were starving.Further I cannot even imagine solving a conflict by killing someone with ANY manner of weapon. However, I can imagine, if forced to, defending myself and my family, as well as my Country, but it wouldn't be with sticks and stones given any other, more effective choices.