LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Hardware
User Name
Password
Linux - Hardware This forum is for Hardware issues.
Having trouble installing a piece of hardware? Want to know if that peripheral is compatible with Linux?

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 03-09-2024, 03:43 PM   #1
bbam400
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Parrot Security

Rep: Reputation: 0
Parrot OS Switch to Portable SSD Benefits/Methods/Advice

(I have a few screenshots showing my OS/hardware/software info and relevant specifications of devices and cant figure out how to add them to this post, Ive asked this same question in a reddit forum and posted them in the comments there, so Ill add a link to the reddit post if anyone wants to look, or I can copy any output from any commands anyone asks for here as well) I have an older Dell Precision M4700 with 32gb RAM, i7, and 500gb HDD. I just purchased a new SanDisk 1TB portable SSD, and what I want to determine is if its worth it to either move or copy all of my OS and personal data Im using on my laptop currently over to the portable SSD, and if so what is the easiest and quickest method to go about doing that. Will the speed or performance increase running everything off of the new portable SSD be so drastic that its worth switching everything over to it at all? Or should I just leave everything how it is on my HDD and use the SSD for storage overflow for media or something? I know its supposed to be much better performance with a SSD either beside or instead of HDD installed in the laptop itself, but is that the same with the portable? Any help or advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you very much! https://www.reddit.com/r/linuxquesti..._portable_ssd/

Old 03-09-2024, 05:40 PM   #2
wpeckham
LQ Guru

Distribution: Debian, Ubuntu, RedHat, DSL, Puppy, CentOS, Knoppix, Mint-DE, Sparky, VSIDO, tinycore, Q4OS,Manjaro

Rep: Reputation: 2697Reputation: 2697Reputation: 2697Reputation: 2697Reputation: 2697Reputation: 2697Reputation: 2697Reputation: 2697Reputation: 2697Reputation: 2697Reputation: 2697
Dual posting is against the rules here.
You probably want to pick one of these to close and direct to the other so there is only ONE thread on the subject.
For reference, your other one is at https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...67#post6488667