LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Security
User Name
Password
Linux - Security This forum is for all security related questions.
Questions, tips, system compromises, firewalls, etc. are all included here.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 03-10-2024, 02:39 PM   #16
mw.decavia

Distribution: Slackware64-15 & Afterstep , oh my

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 8

Yes, that would be good advice, if I had a wired xfinity connection. All I have is "xfinity now wifi pass" because at the moment I have no place to get a wired xfinity connection. The only coax cables in sight go to direc tv. But someday, maybe.

Or maybe by that time, I can add "travel router" to my Raspberry 4b's tasks. Since I use nmcli for my wifi wan connection while in linux mode, the Rpi could also use nmcli and be ssh'd to. The only problem might be is Rpi users saying that they have problems/failures building the rtl8812au driver in Raspian. My rtl8812au usb wifi adapter is the only reason I can receive xfinity wifi from 60-70 meters away.

Here is a link to more details about Intel AMT. This is just the things Intel openly admits to.

http://https://software.intel.com/si...ilityports.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpeckham View Post
I also use Xfinity. I now own my own modem and separate router and have full control of my end. Before that I used the Xfinity integrated modem and router, but added a smart switch for routing in my home network.

There IS a management interface on the Xfinity device, and you have control over SOME of it using that (web) console. The installation papers should have included detail on how to access the device for changing settings.

The cost up front is higher to get your own equipment, but if you own your equipment you have better control. IF you are trained and/or experienced in network administration it is easier because you already conquered the learning curve. The savings on the Xfinity equipment rental pays for your equipment cost in about two years. Budget and experience are factors that you need to evaluate for yourself.

System and Network Administration and Security have been in my wheelhouse for decades. I would never feel my network even minimally secure if my network security control was in the hands of some company that had no commitment to pay for damages if my network were breached! (Oh heck, I would never trust an ISP that far no matter WHAT the contract terms!)

Last edited by mw.decavia; 03-10-2024 at 03:25 PM. Reason: To be more informative