LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 05-18-2022, 02:34 AM   #1
confuzed.
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
How to back up and update iphone XS onto system 76 Darp

I have an iphone xs that I need to back up onto an external hard drive if possible, otherwise onto Itunes or similar software. How do I do this on my System 76 Darter Pro laptop?

(I have a separate post regarding reading the iphone to transfer photos onto my hard drive)

Thank you.

Old 05-18-2022, 08:44 PM   #2
jmgibson1981

Distribution: Debian

Rep: Reputation: 392Reputation: 392Reputation: 392Reputation: 392
Apple is blatantly hostile to anything other than Apple stuff. Allowing itunes to run on Windows is little more than a business decision. They have gone out of their way to prevent it from running on any form of Linux via Wine. Install a Windows virtual machine and do it that way would be the only real option that you could count on. Has been a constant battle. Won't find to many iphone / ipad users around Linux forums. They gave up and went back to Windows where connecting the device to the computer is concerned.

Old 05-20-2022, 03:50 AM   #3
confuzed.
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgibson1981 View Post
Apple is blatantly hostile to anything other than Apple stuff. Allowing itunes to run on Windows is little more than a business decision. They have gone out of their way to prevent it from running on any form of Linux via Wine. Install a Windows virtual machine and do it that way would be the only real option that you could count on. Has been a constant battle. Won't find to many iphone / ipad users around Linux forums. They gave up and went back to Windows where connecting the device to the computer is concerned.
Thank you for your reply, how do I install a windows virtual machine?

Old 05-20-2022, 07:01 AM   #4
jmgibson1981

Distribution: Debian

Rep: Reputation: 392Reputation: 392Reputation: 392Reputation: 392
VirtualBox is your friend. Then you would need a Windows iso file and just load it in there. Should be pretty self explanatory I think. I don't know the full install process off the top of my head. They make it easy though.