LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Hardware
User Name
Password
Linux - Hardware This forum is for Hardware issues.
Having trouble installing a piece of hardware? Want to know if that peripheral is compatible with Linux?

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 12-19-2021, 11:52 PM   #1
byron.hawkins
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Kernel port: can I generate the device tree (dts) from a Windows install?

I have a Pipo W12 that runs Windows 10 on ARM, and I'd like to install linux from any distro as a dual boot, but I can't find any build that specifically supports this device (linux on ARM does not have general support, it's always device specific). There are many builds that support the Lenovo Yoga 630, which has the same Snapdragon 850 CPU and similar form factor. When booting an Ubuntu port specific to the Yoga 630 on my Pipo, I get errors related to an incorrect device tree. So I'm wondering if it is possible to generate a device tree source (dts) for the Pipo from Windows, and then replace the Yoga device tree in the Ubuntu iso.

There are examples of generating a dts using WSL 2, but I can't run WSL 2 on a Snapdragon 850 because it does not have hardware virtualization support. Is there any other way to generate a linux device tree from a running Windows desktop?

Old 12-20-2021, 06:09 PM   #2
computersavvy

Rep: Reputation: 1484Reputation: 1484Reputation: 1484Reputation: 1484Reputation: 1484Reputation: 1484Reputation: 1484Reputation: 1484Reputation: 1484Reputation: 1484
Linux on arm is not always device specific. In fact Fedora has at least 3 versions, Fedora IOT, Fedora Workstation, and Fedora Server that run well on arm and are capable of running on almost any arm device. The list of supported boards is long when I last looked at it. Somewhere over 100 devices.

With that said, the Pipo W12 is a windows tablet in a class all by itself and if you do a quick search for 'pipo w12 linux' you will get a lot of links about the pipo and there you will likely find info about whether anyone has ever been able to boot linux on that device. Even with windows it seems to have very specific qualcom drivers so I doubt it will function well with any linux distro.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-20-2021, 07:13 PM   #3
byron.hawkins
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
When I had a Windows Surface Pro, it ran Fedora well enough to use, but had no end of trouble with desktop features. But with the Pipo, I'm just using it for research and can work fine without any X server or desktop. It seems like that should be feasible, considering that many aarch64 linux distros support this CPU (Snapdragon 850).

After searching online for several days, there does not seem to be any mutual interest in running linux on this device. So I'd be interested to see how it flies with a recent ARM linux distro and a proper device tree, even if it means disabling some components. Any suggestions or advice would be much appreciated!

Old 12-21-2021, 01:58 PM   #4
hoes

Distribution: debian, linux from scratch

Rep: Reputation: 51
Does the device manager give you enough detail?
There might also be some commands line tools that could help:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...device-manager