LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Ubuntu
User Name
Password
Ubuntu This forum is for the discussion of Ubuntu Linux.

Notices

View Poll Results: POLL - KDE or GNOME
KDE 27 38.57%
GNOME 16 22.86%
Other 27 38.57%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 12-22-2021, 02:33 AM   #31
RenatoG53
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
KDE forever

KDE forever. I always successfully used this DE, but I have still problems using gksu in Debian release buster because it still pretends to use GNOME DE, I don't know why.
Thanks
Renato

Old 12-22-2021, 12:43 PM   #32
r37
LQ Newbie

Distribution: in the past Mandrake, Debian, Knoppix, Antix, now Devuan

Quote:
Originally Posted by business_kid View Post
I'm firmly in the 'other' camp, as both kde & gnome are too much, and too slow.
So am I
LXDE, occasionally Fluxbox (to do something in a hurry, my LXDE by default autostarts number of applications). If in a need for something really not resource-hungry, I can work with twm (or its forks).

Old 01-20-2022, 09:11 AM   #33
solar10
LQ Newbie

LXQt/LXDE, Mate, Cinnamon.
It's been 20 years since I bought a new PC. I salvage old computers or buy cheap used ones. My latest acquisition is powerful enough to have the comfort of using KDE (MX). After 1 year with KDE, I'm fed up. I'm going to go back to something simple and light instead of this full-option thingy that pops errors in every corner.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-21-2022, 01:19 PM   #34
fixitmanarizona

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowCoder View Post
As expected, this poll went a bit sideways. And really, what's it's purpose, anyway?

I can use either, but prefer KDE. However, it isn't KDE/Gnome that makes the distribution; it's just an app/suite that runs on top of X. Most modern distros provide access to most common DEs.

I'm curious in what ways?
As with a lot of these things, "too limited" was just an impression of mine. I'm used to certain desktop and/or panel items that didn't work for me on Cinnamon, (or I wasn't willing to tweak to work) that came right out of the box with Mate or Xfce... I admit, some "old-school" thinking was involved.

Old 01-31-2022, 04:14 PM   #35
rclark

Distribution: KUbuntu, Fedora (KDE), PI OS

Rep: Reputation: 179Reputation: 179
I 'currently' enjoy using KDE. Never could get used to Gnome. Don't hate it, just not my cup of tea. One of the major 'upsides' to Linux is you can usually find a DE that fits your workflow. Way back when I had chosen KDE in the RedHat days, but then that team decided to really mess it up, and I did some DE hopping (try that with Windows!!!!) to find another that fit. XFCE was ok, but settled on LXDE. When I installed Mint, Cinnamon was great too. When I had to change to Ubuntu (only one that ran the 'new' at the time Ryzen processor) I went with LUbuntu. A couple of years ago, I decided to try KDE again and found it more than tolerable and now all my systems run on KDE (except my RPIs). Came full circle again. I don't find it slow at all. Of course running on latest processors (Ryzen 5000 series) and Nvidia cards. Snappy as can be. On the Windows side Windows 7 had the best UI for that OS in my opinion. Windows UI went down hill after that.

Last edited by rclark; 01-31-2022 at 04:20 PM.

Old 02-01-2022, 12:58 PM   #36
vmelkon

Distribution: Kubuntu 22.04

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by rclark View Post
I 'currently' enjoy using KDE. Never could get used to Gnome. Don't hate it, just not my cup of tea. One of the major 'upsides' to Linux is you can usually find a DE that fits your workflow. Way back when I had chosen KDE in the RedHat days, but then that team decided to really mess it up, and I did some DE hopping (try that with Windows!!!!) to find another that fit. XFCE was ok, but settled on LXDE. When I installed Mint, Cinnamon was great too. When I had to change to Ubuntu (only one that ran the 'new' at the time Ryzen processor) I went with LUbuntu. A couple of years ago, I decided to try KDE again and found it more than tolerable and now all my systems run on KDE (except my RPIs). Came full circle again. I don't find it slow at all. Of course running on latest processors (Ryzen 5000 series) and Nvidia cards. Snappy as can be. On the Windows side Windows 7 had the best UI for that OS in my opinion. Windows UI went down hill after that.
Hello, I am the originator of this thread.

That's the power of Linux. Many choices. If someone is used to the Windows look or Mac OSX look, you can make that happen under Linux.
Apparently, some guys in Brazil made the interface look like Win 11
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PP9hrM3mFcE
That is probably not legal since they are using background images from Win 11, which is copyrighted by Microsoft.
They are using KDE and this demonstrates how flexible KDE is.