LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Networking
User Name
Password
Linux - Networking This forum is for any issue related to networks or networking.
Routing, network cards, OSI, etc. Anything is fair game.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 10-22-2019, 02:19 PM   #1
flexmcmurphy
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Why does the dnsmasq log file append .home to plain hostnames?

Hello,

I have a Windows 7 laptop and a Raspberry Pi on my Lan. Dnsmasq is running on the Pi. I have these two lines in /etc/dnsmasq.conf

address=/mymovies/192.168.1.124
address=/mymovies.ncp/192.168.1.124

When I request http://mymovies.ncp from Chrome this is what I get in the dnsmasq log file:
Oct 21 23:41:54 dnsmasq[19823]: query[A] mymovies.ncp from XX.XX.XXX.XXX
Oct 21 23:41:54 dnsmasq[19823]: config mymovies.ncp is 192.168.1.124

XX.XX.XXX.XXX is the external ip address of my router.

However when I make the request http://mymovies from Chrome on the laptop… this is what I get in the dnsmasq log file:
Oct 21 23:38:12 dnsmasq[19823]: query[A] mymovies.home from XX.XX.XXX.XXX
Oct 21 23:38:12 dnsmasq[19823]: config mymovies.home is 192.168.1.124

In the dnsmasq log file why is .home appended to a hostname when it is just a plain simple word without any domain or tld?

Thank you,

Flex

Old 10-23-2019, 02:30 PM   #2
flexmcmurphy
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Hello,

I made some progress with this question. The answer is either the windows laptop or the router. A DNS suffix is specified in Windows and it is used to fill in a domain name for a DNS query when only a host name is specified. Running the command: ipconfig /all on a windows machine shows the dns suffix and on my laptop it is: home

But I also read that the dhcp server fills in missing suffixes. In my case that would mean my router.

So I'm not 100% sure WHAT is adding .home to my dns requests that only start out as a plain name. I wish I knew a definitive way to find out. I only know that it is not dnsmasq and the suffix is added to help resolve unqualified domain names (names with no dots).

More info here:
https://simpledns.com/kb/63/how-to-c...ows-vista-2008

Flex

Tags
dnsmasq, log files