LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Laptop and Netbook
User Name
Password
Linux - Laptop and Netbook Having a problem installing or configuring Linux on your laptop? Need help running Linux on your netbook? This forum is for you. This forum is for any topics relating to Linux and either traditional laptops or netbooks (such as the Asus EEE PC, Everex CloudBook or MSI Wind).

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 07-05-2019, 06:13 AM   #1
Olympiapeter
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Macbook pro 13'' vs 1650Ti Lenovo Gaming Laptop

I've got a budget of around 1450 Euros and I'm torn apart between the safe choice (1650Ti Lenovo gaming laptop) and the luxurious one (Macbook pro 13'' 2017).

On the one hand, I quit gaming for now and haven't really played anything in 3 months or so, nor am I anticipating any upcoming releases (and even if I did I'd probably be too busy to game anyway). Additionally, capable gaming laptops are fairly chunky meaning I'll have to take my older and pretty sluggish 12,5'' laptop with me to classes. Moreover, based on my experience, Windows laptops' performance tends to noticeably degrade overtime compared to the overall performance of Macbooks as MacOS offers a far more seamless experience, especially overtime.

On the other hand, the current generation of Macbooks is a bit of a hit and miss when it comes to reliability as the tend to malfunction, especially their keyboards. In addition, a gaming PC does feel like the safer choice. Despite quitting gaming for now, I may find myself fancying some upcoming games once new titles are announced, plus I feel like it's generally safer to have a more capable machine for roughly the same price in case I do find myself wanting to perform heavier or more Windows orientated tasks.

I feel like the current generation of Macbooks is a tad like a luxury car brand - when they work properly they're the best in the business yet when they flop (which isn't that uncommon on an occurrence), the procedure cost of repair are painful.

I'd love to hear you suggestions.

Old 07-06-2019, 08:00 PM   #2
slackware-current

Rep: Reputation: 6
Welcome to LQ. do you have a linux Question ? I run a Macbook Pro with linux on vm for travel reasons. Gaming is about the GPU and RAM and CPU.
you have a linux Question?

Old 07-06-2019, 11:58 PM   #3
Timothy Miller

Distribution: Debian, EndeavourOS, OpenSUSE, KDE Neon

Rep: Reputation: 1521Reputation: 1521Reputation: 1521Reputation: 1521Reputation: 1521Reputation: 1521Reputation: 1521Reputation: 1521Reputation: 1521Reputation: 1521Reputation: 1521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympiapeter View Post
I've got a budget of around 1450 Euros and I'm torn apart between the safe choice (1650Ti Lenovo gaming laptop) and the luxurious one (Macbook pro 13'' 2017).
Moreover, based on my experience, Windows laptops' performance tends to noticeably degrade overtime compared to the overall performance of Macbooks as MacOS offers a far more seamless experience, especially overtime.
You do realize that beyond a few minor differences on the motherboard (used to be 1 additional chip on Mac's, now it's 2), Windows pc's and Mac pc's are identical hardware? So any degraded performance is 100% due to the installed OS. IE - remove Windows and replace it with a real OS and you won't see that.

That said, I wouldn't personally get either. I don't like the size of gaming laptops, and I despise Apple devices and their massive price increase copmared to similar hardware that comes with Windows, and the newest hardware with that new chip currently prevents running linux on bare metal. So can't actually be of any help on the actual question. Sorry.

Old 07-08-2019, 10:20 AM   #4
snowday

Rep: Reputation: 1411Reputation: 1411Reputation: 1411Reputation: 1411Reputation: 1411Reputation: 1411Reputation: 1411Reputation: 1411Reputation: 1411Reputation: 1411
Seems there might be a "middle ground" choice somewhere between the incredibly powerful (but bulky!) Lenovo gaming laptop and the sleek (but not very powerful!) 13" MacBook.

You can get some really excellent advice if you fill out the questionnaire on this site: http://forum.notebookreview.com/foru...ould-i-buy.16/

Personally (for my needs, which might be different from your needs) I gravitate toward business-class machines from Dell (Latitude or Precision series) or Lenovo (the legendary ThinkPad series). I find these business-class computers are well built and reliable, and run Linux flawlessly. However, it's unclear from your question whether you have any plans to use Linux?

Old 07-23-2019, 03:52 PM   #5
Olympiapeter
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
my issue gt solved!!