LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 06-22-2018, 04:32 AM   #1
tb404
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Slackware-14.2

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Slackware Live - Customize Persistance

I noticed there is a massive speed increase if I turn off persistance when Slackware Live boots with nop option using a usb2 stick as no write operations will be performed. However, doing this the desktop reverts to default settings.

Is there a way to make the changes I want to my home directory with persistance turned on, then reboot without persistance so I can use a customized desktop with a speed boost?

Old 06-22-2018, 05:35 AM   #2
yancek
LQ Guru

Distribution: Slackware, Ubuntu, PCLinux,

Rep: Reputation: 2490Reputation: 2490Reputation: 2490Reputation: 2490Reputation: 2490Reputation: 2490Reputation: 2490Reputation: 2490Reputation: 2490Reputation: 2490Reputation: 2490
I would suggest you read the Slackware page on the subject at the link below. From that page, it indicates that a persistence directory is created in the root of the system where changes are saved. Manually mounting a second partition used for persistence from a Live iso isn't really a problem but the persistence on Slackware Live is in the / of the filesystem so my guess would be no.

Old 06-22-2018, 08:21 AM   #3
Alien Bob
Slackware Contributor

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 8106Reputation: 8106Reputation: 8106Reputation: 8106Reputation: 8106Reputation: 8106Reputation: 8106Reputation: 8106Reputation: 8106Reputation: 8106Reputation: 8106
Basically you want to cusomize your /home , then incorporate those changes into Slackware Live and then reboot without persistence and writing any *further* modifications only to RAM and not to a persistence container?
One way to do this, is to copy /home/live to the /liveslak/rootcopy/ directory on the USB stick so that the final layout will be /liveslak/rootcopy/home/live/ . Then reboot, and add "nop" as a boot commandline parameter to syslinux/grub. That way, your persistence directory/container will not be used or touched, the Live OS will copy everything it finds in the 'rootcopy' directory into the live filesystem and it will write any changes to RAM.
Note that if you have a lot of data in /home/live this is not a good solution because the copy operation will take a long time on every boot...
In that case it may be easier to wrap your /home/live directory into a squashfs module and copy that to the USB disk:
Code:
# ./makemod /home/live /mnt/livemedia/liveslak/addons/0060-myhome-20180622.sxz
Untested... YMMV.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-29-2018, 04:26 PM   #4
tb404
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Slackware-14.2

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
copying /home/live to the /liveslak/rootcopy/ works well. Will test makemod soon. Thank you.