SlackwareThis Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
Greg, there's the right place to ask KPilot questions - the mailing list for KPilot, for instance - and the wrong place. This is the wrong place. The chances of anyone with usable information spotting this post is very small. Fortunately, I was googling for "zire 31 sync linux" and ended up here.
Pilot-link (0.11.8 at least), which KPilot is built upon, does support the Zire 31 if you can get your kernel to recognize the device. The standard troubleshooting approach - on the KPilot website - applies. There seem to be file-install problems with larger apps that I'm still tracking down.
i know its been a while since this tread was active but i finally found the solution , it seems that the visor module for my kernels did not have the right product id for the palm zire section in "/usr/src/linux/driver/usb/serial/visor.c" file changed it from:
#define PALM_ZIRE_ID 0x0070
#define PALM_ZIRE_ID 0x0061
after i did that edit I reinstalled my modules (no need to reboot) and voila... hotsync fiesta
this problem also lies with the zire 72 handheld, so this trick should work for it as well.
Did you have to recompile your by doing a make modules && make modules_install? If that's the case, cool. I'm trying it out now. Hope it works as I've been trying to get my Palm Zire 31 to sync for a long time.
spec6635, I was trying for days to get my Zire 31 to sync, tearing my hair out ... and your visor.h fix worked! I guess Palm changed sneakily the product IDs for their new Zires (31 and 72). I also managed to find the 'hidden' conduit settings in RH8.0 at http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...threadid=32250 (thread 32550).
The Zire was the last of my external devices that I needed to get working with Linux, so that I can now finally make the switch. No more Windoze for me! Thanks.
2. Add the following lines to /usr/share/gnome-pilot/devices.xml:
<!-- Palm Zire 31/72 -->
<device vendor_id="0830" product_id="0061" />
3. Run gpilotd-control-applet to configure your conduits, and configure synchronization with Evolution 2.0.
4. Add the Pilot Applet to your Gnome Panel for easy hotsyncing.
I got most of this from http://www.clasohm.com/blog/one-entry?entry_id=12096. I have established that the Gnome Pilot/Evolution conduits only synchronizes the PalmOS 4-compatible fields - e.g. you can only use one address per contact, and that syncs with the "Business Address" in Evolution. PalmOS 5 lets you add more addresses per contact, but Evolution will only see the first ("Work") address you entered on the Zire. For those of you who had PalmOS 3 and 4 (like me), you will know which fields these are. I recommend creating a test contact entry, filling all of the fields and doing a hotsync. Then open Evolution and see which fields got synced and which didn't. I personally don't have a problem with this, but I do like to know "where the bodies are buried" (to coin a phrase from an old friend).