LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - General
User Name
Password
Linux - General This Linux forum is for general Linux questions and discussion.
If it is Linux Related and doesn't seem to fit in any other forum then this is the place.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 11-17-2001, 10:42 AM   #1
wingwe
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Mandrake 8.1

Rep: Reputation: 0
Unhappy Dowload Linux-ISO on Windows - Prohibited Filename Error

I'm running Win98 SE trying to download a Linux-ISO and burn it to a CD. I've tried with multiple FTP clients and multiple ISOs(all for i586) and I keep getting a '550 Prohibited Filename Error'

What can I do about this?

I'd appreciate any suggestions aside from wiping my current operating system(which i might well do once burn the iso and install Linux)

Old 11-17-2001, 11:01 AM   #2
torp

Distribution: Slackware, FreeBSD, Solaris10, Suse

Rep: Reputation: 15
Download Linux

Hi there
It seems a little weird, it should be no broblem to download linux, though filename is a little long.
You should be able to do it the hard way then...
Use a dos promt to ftp into the site cd into the directory where the linux iso is...
then download the file by typing get linux-i385.iso /whatever/linux.iso

you can type help to see ftp commands

when downloading the fil into a new name which is accepted by millinium, it should be no problem....

Regards Torp

Old 11-19-2001, 10:38 AM   #3
Thymox

Distribution: Mostly Debian based systems

Rep: Reputation: 64
Have you tried a different mirror site? We use IE 5.5 at Uni (it's a hell of a lot faster to download on T3 connection @ uni than with 56K connection @ home) and downloads work fine. I have found, however, that not all ftp sites work with IE (I do sometimes have to use Netscape for this), but in general IE downloads files fine. I normally just go to the ftp site and right-click the filename and select 'copy to folder' option. Works a treat.

Old 11-19-2001, 10:45 AM   #4
wingwe
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Mandrake 8.1

Original Poster
I've gotten the download to work now through the DOS FTP and with IE 5.5. Still not sure why it wouldn't work with the FTP clients, but that's a question I don't feel bad to leave unanswered.

BTW I have aDSL and got an average download of 62 KB/sec. The mirror i used was mirrors.secsup.org - they have the most current Mandrake and Debian ISO's and I was happy with the speed from their site.

Thanks for your help!

Old 01-15-2002, 04:09 PM   #5
Arachnamus
LQ Newbie

Little bit off the topic, but I went to that site and, well, theres quite a few large files there, which do i need? Any help would be appreciated as id like to try Linux out :-) Btw im after the mandrake 8.1 version...

Last edited by Arachnamus; 01-15-2002 at 04:10 PM.

Old 01-15-2002, 04:12 PM   #6
trickykid
LQ Guru

Rep: Reputation: 269Reputation: 269Reputation: 269
Quote:
Originally posted by Arachnamus
Little bit off the topic, but I went to that site and, well, theres quite a few large files there, which do i need? Any help would be appreciated as id like to try Linux out :-)
what site are you talking about ?? if you have a burner, you can easily get iso images from www.linuxiso.org , other sites like the distro specific sites may have iso images, also usually have ftp install...

let us know so we can help you out..

Old 01-15-2002, 10:45 PM   #7
Electro
LQ Guru

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
I used Netants to download all my ISO files. Yes, I got errors during the download but I didn't do a mdasum5 checksum. Linux installed correctly. Netants uses its own FTP protocol to download the files.

Go to Microsoft and get an IE update.

Netants can be found at CNET or other software sites.

Old 01-15-2002, 10:48 PM   #8
Electro
LQ Guru

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
BTW, enable FTP viewing in your browser by going to tools and internet options. I think the list of options is in the last tab in that dialog box.

Old 01-15-2002, 10:52 PM   #9
neo77777
LQ Addict

Distribution: *NIX

Rep: Reputation: 56
Quote:
[i] Btw im after the mandrake 8.1 version... [/B]
you'll need three files disc1...disc3

Old 01-16-2002, 06:12 AM   #10
Thymox

Distribution: Mostly Debian based systems

Rep: Reputation: 64
Quote:
you'll need three files disc1...disc3
Yeah, about that... I recently passed up the opportunity to buy the Mandy 8.1 7 CD set for 10 squid on ebay. What are the other 4 cds all about then? I downloaded the 3 cd set ages ago (about 2/3 days after it went online), and was just wondering what I'm missing out on.

Old 01-17-2002, 04:00 PM   #11
Arachnamus
LQ Newbie

Thanks I'll have a poke around, mirrors.secsup.org was the site mentioned b4 :-)