LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Hardware
User Name
Password
Linux - Hardware This forum is for Hardware issues.
Having trouble installing a piece of hardware? Want to know if that peripheral is compatible with Linux?

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 08-21-2003, 11:15 PM   #1
exodist

Distribution: Arch

Rep: Reputation: 47
Question multi-media problem/question

i have looked it up, but on forums and google i seem to be only one with this problem (totally unrelated question below, please read both)

I have been using linux 5 years, I have used a em8000 dxr3+ hard for a long time, no problems making it work in mplayer, xine or anything else (in fact even with my problem it still kinda works.) my problem is not making things recognise the card, nor is it a greenscreen/module option problem, I worked those out a year or 2 ago and have always had it work fine. I recently upgraded to kernel 2.6.0 (I know it is beta) and used the 2.5.x dxr3 kernel patch.. no problems everything compiled fine.

I used my same settings as before and everything loaded. then I went to play the video.. it was black and white... I then tried another player.. same. I then tried the colorbars module option (card constantly displays colored bars) still black and white... tried new tv and cable. still black and white.. tried seperate compile modules... failed to compile cause 2.6 kernel. tried every module option they have.. no success.. spoke to developers, they asked me a few questions then we had a few messages and nothing was resolved, now they are ignoring me (didn't not chatter, just gave info they wanted total of 4 messages from beginnignt o end a hell of a lot shorter than this message here :-P) has anyone had this happen and has anyone fixed, and has anyone else got any ideas?

Question that is unrelated
I have used mencoder a lot to encode videos from dvd (legally) and tv. I want to know some good quality/size flags though. I want to be able to make them be 20min long at 720x480 and look nice and crisp all in 200mb. I knwo it is possible because I have a coupel hundred video files iek that (you can get a good example at www.fangirlfriday.com d-loading fansubed (legal) inuyasha episodes. I am not a newbie and yo do not have to walk me through it, I am sure it is 2-pass encoding with lavc, need other flags to use though.

Old 08-21-2003, 11:45 PM   #2
leonscape

Distribution: Debian SID / KDE 3.5

Rep: Reputation: 48
2.5 Patch on the 2.6 kernel BADDD!!!

Anyway it may be a lowlevel abi problem also the 2.6 kernel has some new funky memory management that may be screwing with the videos (Drivers are very sensitive to versions of the kernel.)

I know 2.5 Should be close enough to work, But I've had untold problems with my Gefore4 with 2.6 kernels, Even with 2.5 Patches. If it worked with 2.5 use that wait for 2.6 to leave beta. Then they'll have to fix it

As for the other I haven't used sorry.

(Pretty useless post all in all.)

Old 08-21-2003, 11:56 PM   #3
exodist

Original Poster
I also use gf4 on 2.6 and have no problems at all, except that module was.ko and would not auto load, just add "modprobe nvidia.ko" at the end of rc.local and it willwork fine. and there is a 2.6 patch for it now tha also works I hav eheard. and this module is reletively simple (dxr3) and should have no probs in 2.6, I am familiar with the changes, thanx for being the first to ever reply to my threads though, must be to advanced for people to help :-P

Old 08-22-2003, 12:01 AM   #4
leonscape

Well it is pretty esoteric

I doubt most people know what your on about.

But I found this on Multipass encoding with lavc with mencoder if its any help
http://mplayer.ethz.ch/MPlayer/DOCS/encoding.html

Old 08-22-2003, 12:07 AM   #5
exodist

Original Poster
thanx for the link, I understand that it is a difficult question and the chances are low, but google had a tome of drx3 stuff pointing here. the link failed?

Old 08-22-2003, 12:18 AM   #6
leonscape

Its working for me.... Hmmm Strange.

Its only in Switzerland that shouldn't be a problem should it?

Old 08-22-2003, 12:24 AM   #7
exodist

Original Poster
oh well that was just a mirror for www.mplayerhq.hu (main site) I have been throught that doc many times, thank you though, forgot to post that I made it work.