LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > General
User Name
Password
General This forum is for non-technical general discussion which can include both Linux and non-Linux topics. Have fun!

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 07-02-2003, 06:54 PM   #1
macewan

Distribution: Ubuntu, Debian

Rep: Reputation: 45
hp offering mandrake

this just got /.'d
http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/newsroom/pr...3/030702a.html

scroll down to software
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en...f9-337529.html

Old 07-02-2003, 07:15 PM   #2
Jane Delawney

Distribution: Mandy 9.1, Knoppix :)

Rep: Reputation: 15
I checked out these links - the first sounded interesting, but when you get to the site to actually order one of these computers, it's not made precisely crystal clear how you go about ordering a non-XP version. The cheapest box on offer on the HP/Compaq site still has XP preloaded.
I guess you have to read the industry press or /. and email customer services. So you have to be in the know to be in the know...

Not the greatest of advertisements for the OS really....or have I missed something?

jd

Old 07-03-2003, 12:13 AM   #3
Skyline

Distribution: Debian/other

Marc Vivien Foe, 1975-2003

Big Respect - good player - R.I.P

Skyline

Old 07-03-2003, 08:37 AM   #4
mjolnir

Rep: Reputation: 99
Nice article here.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/51/31547.html
July 7 looks like a landmark day for linux and mandrake !

Old 07-03-2003, 11:38 AM   #5
macewan

Distribution: Ubuntu, Debian

Original Poster

It's still a good thing whenever a big player like hp dips it's toes into the linux waters

Old 07-03-2003, 01:52 PM   #6
joseamuniz

Distribution: Mandrake Linux (9.1) , Red Hat Linux (8)

Yes... good to see the Linux Distributions getting considered by big enterprises. I am happy about it

Old 07-03-2003, 03:52 PM   #7
darin3200
LQ Guru

Distribution: Gentoo!

I saw this this morning was really excited, finally a big name with linux. I know wal-mart has linux boxes, no offense to wal-mart, but their computers aren't really top of the line machines.

Old 07-03-2003, 05:21 PM   #8
Jane Delawney

Distribution: Mandy 9.1, Knoppix :)

Quote:
Originally posted by mjolnir
Nice article here.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/51/31547.html
July 7 looks like a landmark day for linux and mandrake !
OK, it looks very much as if my visit to HP's site was a little premature - the boxes are not going to be advertised as available on there, if they're not actually available until 7 July!

all in all this is very VERY good news, and can only benefit the Open Source community if the strategy is successful. I have my fingers crossed that end-users will find the Mandrake 9.1 OS stable and useable enough out-of-the-box that they will be happy with it, and not simply fdisk and install Win98 or something once they get the box home (a possibility I guess if people buy these things because they're cheap).

It will also be interesting to discover what kind of documentation and support HP will provide with these computers.

I'll keep y'all posted as to whether QVC Shopping Channel picks them up! You never know. That would certainly be some kind of breakthrough....

Quote:
originally posted by Skyline

Marc Vivien Foe, 1975-2003

Big Respect - good player - R.I.P
(veering off topic, mods please excuse a moment) Thanks for noting the .sig, don't know how long I'll leave it, but felt sufficiently strongly to put it there.

The Daily Mirror foreverer d*mned itself in my eyes by publishing on its front page a photograph of the poor guy's body on a stretcher as he was taken off the pitch.

Marc has a wife at home with a newborn baby; she may well have had this arrive on her doorstep next day. Obscene piece of yellow journalism. IMO of course.

The rest of the .sig well I didn't hear, see or read any indication that there was a defibrillator available at the ground, let alone on the pitch. Modern AEDs are useable by first aiders with little training. If Marc did die of a heart attack, and if such equipment had been available, he'd have had a far, far better chance of survival. There's no excuse for your local Sainsbury's, let alone an international football ground, not having the right equipment available, when it's cheap and safe.

Sorry about the rant and I'll shut up now.

jd.

Old 07-03-2003, 10:28 PM   #9
Skyline

Distribution: Debian/other

Hi Jane

echoing - apologies to the moderators

It was a tradgedy that didn't need to happen - apparently he was feeling ill for a few days before - hopefully one day the neccesary facsilities will be at all grounds no matter what country the games are staged in.

Old 07-05-2003, 08:27 AM   #10
bigjohn

Distribution: *buntu (usually Kubuntu)

Marc Foe isn't the first, and certainly won't be the last well known person to have suffered this "problem".

Those of us, who are old enough, may also recall the actor Richard Beckinsale, who also died of a similar (the same??) condition at the age of 31.

I suppose that life goes on !

regards

John