LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 06-27-2003, 11:36 PM   #1
SocialParasite

Distribution: Slackware 10

Rep: Reputation: 15
Slackware 9 and pctel 0.9.6 driver

Just got Slack 9 in the mail from TuxCDs.com. First off: word of warning: kernel sources are NOT included when you buy through them. Bastiches.

Anyway.

I have a pct789 winmodem which would work with Slackware 8.1 with the pctel 0.9.6 driver available here: http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/pctel-linux/ but now when I try to insert the modules it gives me a "these drivers have been compiled with version 2, and your kernel with version 3. This won't work" error. I've read that you can do insmod -f ptserial and insmod -f pctel but it's a dirty hack and might not work.

I'm not compiling with gcc 2.x as Slack 9 has gcc 3.x. Any clue how to get it to stop bitching and work? Alternative drivers for the pct789 chipset pci modem?

Oh, and another question: What do I need to add to modules.conf to have it autoload my soundcard driver at startup? es1371 driver

Last edited by SocialParasite; 06-27-2003 at 11:39 PM.

Old 06-28-2003, 02:18 AM   #2
bongski55

Distribution: ubuntu on Dell, Vista,XP triple boot

Rep: Reputation: 30
Read this post:http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...ighlight=pctel

Or my post:http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...&highlight=hsp Although I have a different chip than yours,you might try if the drivers I used works for you. Mine still works on MDK 9.1 and Slack 9. My post states MDK 8.2.

I always get this error messages and yes it is a "dirty hack" but as long as the modem works there is no problem.

The only drawback is that the modules have to be insmoded everytime you start your pc. On the other hand if you are on all the time then no problem.

We are using a "winmodem" so until the Linux gurus program a workaround ,we will have to make do with this hack. 4 years ago our pctel modem was useless with linux. At least now we are able to use it!

About the kernel sources you will have to go to an ftp site having slackware and download the kernel source tarball(k directory) and install it.

No idea about the sound driver. Sorry.

Last edited by bongski55; 06-28-2003 at 02:43 AM.

Old 06-28-2003, 07:25 PM   #3
scagman

Distribution: Suse 9.2 profesional

altho' I have a PCTel modem and a SiS chipset I think this will work for you. Ignore the error warning and force the loading of the drivers with insmod -f pctel, then, insmod -f ptserial then run kppp. Mind you I had to disable my onboard sound before the modem would work !
Also you may have to reload the modules each time you want you log on. I'll find a link to a good HowTo for you - it worked for me.

Old 06-28-2003, 07:30 PM   #4
scagman

Distribution: Suse 9.2 profesional

[The link given leads back to my own thread and I think you may find the answer there even tho' I'm using mdk 9.1 Good luck

Last edited by scagman; 06-28-2003 at 07:40 PM.

Old 06-29-2003, 12:54 AM   #5
SocialParasite

Distribution: Slackware 10

Original Poster
I did the forced insmod and it works for now. I'm none too fond of doing it, though. C'est la vie.