LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 06-26-2003, 09:26 PM   #1
Megos
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
Question Getting the GUI

I successfully installed Mandrake Linux 9.1 last night. After spending 4 hours messing with it, trying to get it to connect to my 2 computer crossover LAN, and trying to get it to utilize my modem, I gave up. I am totally new to Linux, having first used it last night. I've learned a few things. But man, it's like starting all over again. Everything I knew about computers and Windows is out the window.

I restarted my computer twice last night after installation. I got to the GUI each time. But today, after I got off work, I went to boot up and mess around (I am using dual boot with XP Pro, and 9.1) but both Linux options took me to a command prompt login screen this time. I didn't see this at all last night. How do I get into the GUI???? I know zero Linux commands. Please help me!!!

the dual boot screen gives me these options:

Linux
Linux - (something)fb
Failsafe
Windows
Floppy

Old 06-26-2003, 09:29 PM   #2
DrOzz

Distribution: slackware

Rep: Reputation: 60
well maybe if you were getting the gui before then maybe something went wrong, so you could post your /var/log/xfree86.0.log file, or even before you do that open up the file /etc/inittab and look for the line close to the top that says :
id:x:initdefault where x is the runlevel...
if it is 5 then you should boot to gui
if it is 3 then that is why you are booting to the console, so all you would have to do is change that 3 to the 5 and you will be in the gui....

Old 06-26-2003, 09:47 PM   #3
Megos
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
I'm going to print that out and try it. I hope it works!!!

Old 06-26-2003, 09:49 PM   #4
DrOzz

well did you check your inittab?

Old 06-26-2003, 10:31 PM   #5
Megos
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Ok I tried to type in the inittab line, and it said permission denied. Now what?

Old 06-26-2003, 10:36 PM   #6
DrOzz

well you have to be root to edit it, thats why permission was denied...

btw, what was the number 3 or 5?

Old 06-26-2003, 10:49 PM   #7
Megos
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
the command didn't work. i'm not sure if i typed it in wrong, but i logged into my profile. i then typed /etc/inittab and that is when it said permission denied. How do i get into the root? I didn't see anything except permission denied. I also tried the other command.

Old 06-26-2003, 10:51 PM   #8
DrOzz

no no d00d, you have to open the inittab file located in the etc folder with a text editor...
and then you will be in the file for editing
then you locate the line that says id:x:initdefault where x is a number, and you want it to be 5 in your case..

Old 06-26-2003, 11:05 PM   #9
Megos
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
oh, so i can just open up the file in windows and then edit it? or am i just an idiot who has just started linux? (for the 2nd day now)

Old 06-26-2003, 11:07 PM   #10
Megos
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
if i have to do it in linux......you have to get down to my lvl.....i understand zero of what you are saying about linux. Remember this is only my second day of even using it. How do i open the inittab folder??? It says permission denied. How do i access the root???

Old 06-27-2003, 08:09 AM   #11
JayCnrs

Distribution: Suse 9.3 Pro

Rep: Reputation: 30
Login comes up type your username, then password which you would have setup the other night, don't worry about root at the moment, then at the prompt type startx this should take you into the gui, if this works let us know.

Old 06-27-2003, 08:20 AM   #12
DrOzz

ok first, inittab is not a folder, it is a file located in the /etc folder
so to become root you type "su" at the prompt and then you will be asked for a password, so you will obviously type in your root password that you specified in your setup....then you will open the inittab file with a command such as:
vi /etc/inittab
or:
emacs /etc/inittab
vi and emacs are just text editors in case your wondering...
anyways once you open the file you will see a line that says
id:x:initdefault and i think i said what that x means enough already ehhe ;-)...anyways make sure that line reads:
id:5:initdefault, then save the file and when you get back to the prompt type "exit" and that will set you back to your normal user, cause you don't want to run the X Windows as root, and then you will type startx, and hopefully your problem will be solved....

anyways i am tired and going to bed, so if you get in anymore trouble hopefully someone else is around to give ya a hand,
goodluck!

Old 06-27-2003, 09:16 AM   #13
GŠutama

Distribution: Gentoo

Rep: Reputation: 15
since you are brand new to linux you may have trouble using any of vi or emacs so I thought i'd give you some help:

crash course vi editor:
vi works with two modes, one you give commands to vi the other you edit the file. When vi starts with the 'vi /etc/inittab' command you are in command mode, if you try to type you will not edit the file. So first you go to the line you want to edit then press 'i'. You are now in 'interactive mode'. You can now edit as usual.
To exit 'interactive mode' hit the Ecs key.

Saving: hit 'Esc' to exit 'interactive mode' then type
Code:
:w
this writes your file to disk.

Exit:
Code:
:q
if you have some unsaved changes vi will complain. If you don't want to save your changes add a ! after the :q
Code:
:q!
Save and Exit: hit 'Esc' then
Code:
ZZ
that is two capital 'z'

more help?

type
Code:
:help
crash course emacs:

Emacs does not have different working modes. So emacs uses the Ctrl, Alt and Shift keys to recognise commands.

Open file: Ctrl-x Ctrl-f
Hold down Ctrl then hit 'x' then 'f'
look at bottom of screen you should se 'Find file: ' with a flashing cursor after.

Save file: Ctrl-x Ctrl-s

Exit Emacs: Ctrl-x Ctrl-c

Tutorial: Ctrl-h t
that is a single t at the end no ctrl