LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > General
User Name
Password
General This forum is for non-technical general discussion which can include both Linux and non-Linux topics. Have fun!

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 06-12-2003, 10:59 AM   #1
g3nk1
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Red Hat 9.0

Rep: Reputation: 0
Exclamation partition "not active" ?

whenever i try and go into win xp, the windows xp load page comes up, but then after that it searches for autochk and another file. It says files not found, and then a blue screen comes up and says "system failure."

I tried to reinstall windows, but it won't let me install it on the right partition (it says its inactive).

I also tried the xp recovery, but it says i don't have access even after i enter the admin password.

someone please help me.

Old 06-12-2003, 11:16 AM   #2
trickykid
LQ Guru

Rep: Reputation: 269Reputation: 269Reputation: 269
As this is mainly a Linux related site, Windows questions belong in the General forum, not the Linux - General forum. Thanks.

Old 06-12-2003, 01:10 PM   #3
Riley

Distribution: Mandrake 10.0 Powerpack

Rep: Reputation: 30
To my friends who use windows I usually say the answer to your problem is Linux and I think that answer works very well here too.

Those problems are just windows being a bitch I'm assuming because of crappy coding. I think I got windows xp to install on my 10th try or so. Luckily that monster no longer inhabits my computer.

Btw the active partition shouldn't be necessary for xp, and you can change the partitioning scheme in windows install so try wiping the whole disk and redoing it.