LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > Programming
User Name
Password
Programming This forum is for all programming questions.
The question does not have to be directly related to Linux and any language is fair game.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 01-23-2003, 12:24 PM   #1
ComputerDarrell
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
Kylix Open on RedHat 8.0 TIME.H error ???

I am sucessfully using Kylix Open edition on my RedHat 8.0 installation. The pascal side (startdelphi) is working fine, and compiles with no errors. But, the C++ side (startbcb) will not compile even a basic form with no controls added. Instead I get an error that jumps into TIME.H and claims that there is a syntax error, and duplicate declarations.

Has anyone else had this difficulty and fixed the problem? Thanks!

Old 01-24-2003, 01:20 AM   #2
megaspaz

Distribution: Red Hat 7.3, Red Hat 9.0

Rep: Reputation: 46
sorry, can't help you. all i know is that kylix 3 is guaranteed to be compatible up to red hat 7.2. i installed it no problems on 7.3 but i'm having a linker problem that is still unresolved. my problem is i can compile a project in my home directory, but as soon as i put the project in a project directory i get an expected filename error. anyway, i've heard peeps having problems with time.h and other stuff with red hat 8.0. you can try the borland newsgroups, as there might be some posts with answers to your question.
http://info.borland.com/newsgroups/#kylix

Old 02-26-2003, 09:10 AM   #3
netesys
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Slackware 8.1 + actualizations

Smile Kylix3 instalation and running with glibc > 2.2.5

What do you have to try is to do not install by the rpm installation.
What I did was add a line in setup.sh like 'installargs="-m" ' just before the line with CheckForCorel. That way the instalator will put every thing at the right place, not at root as it did to me.
Finally when you'll be running your kylix3 installation remember to put the '/usr/include' in the first position at Project->Options->Directories/Conditionals->... (IncludePath).

Hope it helps.

Old 03-21-2003, 08:48 AM   #4
medtech
LQ Newbie

Time.h E2141

Hello,

I've got the same error. It is Error E2141. How can I make Kylix working with RH8.0 ?

Old 03-27-2003, 08:57 AM   #5
Papiluff
LQ Newbie

Hi;

Just a comment to netesys' post: I installed it using the command

sh setup.sh -m

it seemed to do the same thing as changing the setup script, but is a bit easier.

Good Luck!

Old 03-27-2003, 11:09 AM   #6
medtech
LQ Newbie

Solution

To make Kylix run under RH8.0 is simple :
in the project path property just place /bin/include in first position

Old 04-03-2003, 08:34 AM   #7
kummaheppu
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Debian

Hi,

I just installed Kylix Open 3 on Debian Woody/testing and ran into the time.h error described here. Moving /usr/include to the top of the list solved that problem. Thanks!

Here's a link to Borland's support site (you may need to register). The same answer is given there, but Google found LinuxQuestions.org first

http://bdn.borland.com/article/0,1410,29306,00.html

Last edited by kummaheppu; 04-03-2003 at 08:42 AM.

Old 04-15-2003, 09:30 AM   #8
cmleungive
LQ Newbie

Distribution: RH9

Smile

This is the glibc problem. Please see if the following can help.

Installing Kylix 3 in Redhat version > 7.2
prepared by Henry Leung <henryl@net-yan.com>

The Borland Kylix 3 is designed to run on glibc 2.1, therefore it's certified to operate on Redhat Linux 7.2. For version greater than 7.2, the glibc package have been upgraded to glibc 2.2 or greater, therefore it will generate errors during compilation.
To solve this problem, we need to install a compatible version of glibc, i.e. Compat-glibc. Besides, we also need to change the include path and library path in the project options. The following is the procedures:

Install the package Xfree86-devel. It contains libX11.so, and Kylix needs it.

Get the software package compat-glibc-6.2-2.1.3.2 from Redhat 7.2 CD, or from ftp websites. Install the package:
rpm -ivh compat-glibc-6.2-2.1.3.2.rpm
Execute the Kylix installation program, using -m argument for non-rpm install, as many versions of rpm have problem in relocating the software package:
sh ./setup.sh -m
Complete the registration and copy the registration file to your home directory. Then execute:
startbcb
When Kylix comes up, DO NOT open any project yet. You need to change the default settings. Set the include path and the library path to the compatible version of glibc:
Click Project ¡V Options ¡V Directories/Conditions
In the Include Path field, replace /usr/include with /usr/i386-glibc21-linux/include. Also move this entry to the top of the list.
In the Library Path field, replace /usr/lib with /usr/i386-glibc21-linux/lib. Again move the entry to the top.

Additional notes for Redhat 9
In Redhat 9, there is one more problem. The imcompatibility focus is on the wineserver used by Kylix and the native posix thread library (NPTL) included in the RH9 kernel. Using a stock kernel solves the problem, but may have some impact on other programs installed by the RH distribution. One workaround is to use the following when calling Kylix:

export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.2.5; startdelphi

This disables the NPTL for Kylix only. See
http://www.gurulabs.com/RedHatLinux9-review.html for details.

Now the installation is complete and try to run a simple program for testing. Good luck.

Last edited by cmleungive; 05-21-2003 at 04:46 AM.

Old 05-19-2003, 05:31 PM   #9
xcg
LQ Newbie

SuSE 8.2 and Kylix 3

Hi
I installed kylix 3 on my SuSE 8.2. After I changed the include directory /usr/include the compiler errors are gone. But now I'm seeing linker errors:

[Linker Fehler] Unresolved external 'setlocale' referenced from /opt/kylix3/lib/release/rtl.a|System.o
[Linker Fehler] Unresolved external 'pthread_getspecific' referenced from /opt/kylix3/lib/release/rtle.a|SysInit.o
[Linker Fehler] Unresolved external 'raise' referenced from /opt/kylix3/lib/release/rtl.a|System.o
[Linker Fehler] Unresolved external 'write' referenced from /opt/kylix3/lib/release/rtl.a|System.o
[Linker Fehler] Unresolved external 'exit' referenced from /opt/kylix3/lib/release/rtl.a|System.o
[Linker Fehler] Unresolved external 'free' referenced from /opt/kylix3/lib/release/rtle.a|SysInit.o
[Linker Fehler] Unresolved external 'pthread_key_create' referenced from /opt/kylix3/lib/release/rtle.a|SysInit.o

This is just a small chunk of the full linker error report. I looks like it doesn't find any linux library at all. Unfortunately I couldn't find something like a glibc-compat rpm on my SuSE 8.2.

In project->options->directories/conditions->library path I have
specified /usr/lib:/lib and others.

A short check with f.e. shows:
linux:~ # nm /usr/lib/libpthread.a |grep pthread_key_create
00000000 T __pthread_key_create
00000000 T pthread_key_create

Has anybody an idea how to get this work on SuSE 8.2?

Old 05-21-2003, 04:48 AM   #10
cmleungive
LQ Newbie

Distribution: RH9

Cool

You can get the compat-glic package from a number of websites, e.g. http://rpmfind.net

Old 05-28-2003, 06:58 PM   #11
krillan
LQ Newbie

Linker Errors

yes, I have the linker issues as well. After doing sh setup.sh -m, the compiler errors stopped, but now I have the same Linker errors as stated 2 posts ago. Does anyone know how to fix this problem? Much appreciated

-Krillan

Old 05-29-2003, 02:06 AM   #12
xcg
LQ Newbie

The linker errors went here away after installing a compat-glibc
as cmleungive described here:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...549#post277549

I installed this rpm:

ftp://rpmfind.net/linux/redhat/7.3/e...1.3.2.i386.rpm

Old 06-12-2003, 09:41 AM   #13
mark.woodrow
LQ Newbie

Distribution: FC4 and Slackware 10.2

Yes, I have just noticed this problem with RedHat 9 and Kylix Open 3. I don't yet have a solution. Everything was fine with Kylix under RedHat 7.3, except that it froze on project open/close sometimes. That was fixable with strace...

Last edited by mark.woodrow; 06-12-2003 at 09:49 AM.

Old 06-13-2003, 09:13 AM   #14
mark.woodrow
LQ Newbie

Distribution: FC4 and Slackware 10.2

The fix given above by cmleungive (#8) works fine for redhat 9 and kylix 3 open edition, on my Dell Inspiron 3500. Have to fiddle with the file permissions on the examples - I installed Kylix as root, but then couldn't compile the examples cos I didn't have write permissions.

Old 07-08-2003, 06:05 AM   #15
darkprok
LQ Newbie

Distribution: RedHat

K3/CBuilder on RedHat9 linking solution

To get BCB running with RH9:
1) Set these variables:
#wine NTPL workaround
export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.2.5
#bcb seems to have problems with some locales?
export LANG=en_US

a good place to set those vars might be in the KYLIX_HOME/bin/kylixpath script

2) DO NOT Move /usr/include higher in the project->options->directories->include path list

3) You might need to create a few symlinks like libc.so -> libc.so.6 libm.so -> libm.so.6, etc

4) You'll need to make kylix use another set of include files and not those in /usr/include. This is not as simple as it may seem ;-)

The glibc-2.3.2 include files that come with rh9 won't do the trick. You'll need to get the /usr/include headers from an older glibc-devel*.rpm or from an older installation (if you have one) (rh73 include files work fine for me).
Let's pretend you have older header files in /home/andrew/local/rh73/usr/include
Go to your kylix3 home folder and
mkdir include/gnu
cd include/gnu
ln -s /home/andrew/local/rh73/usr/include

now you need to modify the (K3_HOME/include/_defs.h and defs.h) files to tell kylix not to use /usr/include but /home/andrew/local/rh73/usr/include
look for a line like:
#define _STD_HEADER_(__a) </usr/include/__a>
and replace it with:
#define _STD_HEADER_(__a) </home/andrew/local/kylix3/include/gnu/include/__a>

5. Now adjust your project->options->directories->include path, you need ot change /usr/include to /home/andrew/local/kylix3/include/gnu/include/ (no need to change the position of this entry in the list, you'll sooner or later get in trouble if you do)

You're all set.

You should be able to compile and link without problems.
If you decide to switch to some other glibc-devel headers just update the /home/andrew/local/kylix3/include/gnu/include symlink.

Note the symlink *must* be named 'include' /home/andrew/local/kylix3/include/gnu/ or /home/andrew/local/kylix3/include/gnu/something-else will not work!

Last edited by darkprok; 07-08-2003 at 09:06 AM.