LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Fedora
User Name
Password
Fedora This forum is for the discussion of the Fedora Project.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 10-30-2005, 08:47 AM   #1
dludenar

Distribution: CentOS 5.2 / Fedora Core 8

Rep: Reputation: 20
Network card

Hello people

Thanks for the answer to the next question. I installed a Fedora Core 4 into a Dell Dimension 5100C (Intel pentium 4, 630, HT, 800FSB, 1G RAM, 150 G HD), The problem is that I can not install the network card, I hope you people could help me with this ptoblem.

Regards from Japan

ArturoD

Old 10-30-2005, 02:09 PM   #2
Brian1
LQ Guru

Distribution: Distribution: RHEL 5 with Pieces of this and that. Kernel 2.6.23.1, KDE 3.5.8 and KDE 4.0 beta, Plu

Rep: Reputation: 65
What brand and model is the nic?
Info can be gotten from the command ' lspci '

Brian1

Old 10-31-2005, 12:59 AM   #3
dludenar

Original Poster
Brian1

Thanks for the answer but I couldn't use the command that you told me, even in super use mode, I will appreciate if you tell me anothe way to know this information.

Regards

ArturoD

Old 10-31-2005, 06:40 AM   #4
dludenar

Original Poster
Forum people

I think, when I run ls pci, I don't have the name or the characteristics of the network card, but according to he specifications of the Dell website is:

Intel (R) Pro/100 VE Network Conection

The network card is onboard.

Thanks for your answer

Regards

ArturoD

Old 10-31-2005, 04:35 PM   #5
Brian1
LQ Guru

Distribution: Distribution: RHEL 5 with Pieces of this and that. Kernel 2.6.23.1, KDE 3.5.8 and KDE 4.0 beta, Plu

Most installs should put lspci in /sbin. So run the command /sbin/lspci. Reason is most installs to not include /sbin in default user paths. Quick note it is one word ' lspci '.

Looks like the nic should use the e100 module. type ' /sbin/lsmod ' and see if it is loaded.

Post the contents /etc/modprobe.conf. Should have a line like ' alias eth0 e100 '
It might be trying to use a differnet module.

If module is loaded then run the command ' ifconfig ' and then ' ifconfig -a '. Post output of both.

See what you come up with.
Got to go, trick or treaters here.
Brian1

Old 11-01-2005, 05:46 AM   #6
dludenar

Original Poster
Hello Brian1

Well I did what you told me, this is the result:

1. When I used the commnad: /sbin/lspci there is a line like this:
03:08.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) LAN Controller (rev 01)

2. When I used the command: /sbin/lsmod, there is no e100 module

3. In /etc/modprobe.conf there is a line like this:
alias eth0 e100

I don`t know how to use the command ifconfig so I will appreciate if you tell me how to use it.

Thanks for your help

Regards

ArturoD

Old 11-01-2005, 12:40 PM   #7
brianthegreat

Rep: Reputation: 32
su -
(enter your root password)

ifconfig

You need a space and then a "-" to use the ifconfig command.

Old 11-01-2005, 04:40 PM   #8
Brian1
LQ Guru

As root run the command ' modprobe e100 '[.
Now open your Start Menu > System Settings > Network Configuration. Configure to your network.
If that works then add the line to /etc/modprobe.conf. alias eth0 e100

Brian1

Old 11-01-2005, 08:50 PM   #9
dludenar

Original Poster
Brian1

I have a little problem that I didn't tell you before, when I run the command ifconfig it doesn't run as root on Fedora 4, but if I type 'if config' it runs but it show me '>' as a prompt, and them I don't know what to do. Second, now you told me to use the command modprobe, well I did it but it doesn't work the error meesage that I obtain is as follows:

[root@pc141 bin]# modprobe e100
bash: modprobe: command not found

So I don't have idea what is going on with this command or with 'ifconfig'. I'll wait for your answer. Thank you very mucho for your time.

Regards

ArturoD

Old 11-02-2005, 12:02 AM   #10
brianthegreat

I told you how to run ifconfig

su -

Then type

ifconfig then the interface

so it's

su -

ifconfig eth0

or

ifconfig eth1

Last edited by brianthegreat; 11-02-2005 at 12:03 AM.

Old 11-02-2005, 04:02 AM   #11
dludenar

Original Poster
People

Thanks for your answer, now I can use ifconfig and modprobe, well here are the results of the usage of this commands:

I ran: modprobe e100
There were no problem

Whe I tried to configure the network, there wasn´t any network card identified, so I choose one, it was:
Intel EtherExpress/100 driver
Device eth0
IRQ: unknown
IP Address: DHCP

When I wanted to activate an error message appears as follows:
Cannot activate network device eth0
e100 device eth0 does not seem to be present, delaying initialization

Also, when I ran ifconfig ther was not any eth0, just the loop L0

I hope you could help me with this problem, thanks for your answers and for your time.

Regards

ArturoD

Old 11-02-2005, 11:05 AM   #12
brianthegreat

Do a search at www.google.com/linux referencing if anyone was successful configuring your ethernet card. If you can't find anything then you might need to buy one.

Old 11-02-2005, 04:07 PM   #13
Cabal
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Kubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 0
I'm also having lots of problems configuring my network and sound cards. I believe I have similar symptoms.

I have a Intel D945GNT motherboard, and recently installed FC4 on it. It fails to recognize both my network card and sound card (all onboard).

I'm not sure what kernel I'm running (can't remember now), but it is the one that comes with the source install CDs. It's probably 2.6.11.something.

What makes me mad is that I have a Gnome Live CD (Ubuntu), which detects everything perfectly - even my laptop with Win98 connected in my network - so it is NOT hardware problem.

I've tried every hint Brian gave here, I've modified my modprobe.conf and everything else, but it keeps failing to start the network services.

Can it be the because of the old kernel? People here usually advice to upgrade to newer ones, but without internet, it's impossible

I would love to use FC3, which seems a lot more smarter than FC4 (at least for me - I use FC3 at work) but it failed to recognize my SATA disks.

Can anybody give additional info to help me solve these configuration problems?

Old 11-05-2005, 10:43 PM   #14
wickman
LQ Newbie

By setting drives>SATA operation in bios to combination, I was able ti install Debian. However, I continue to have nic problem described in this thread. Given the lack of card slots to play with in the 5100c, I'd prefer to get the on-board nic working rather than add a new card. I'll post a followup if I find the answer. Anyone ask Dell directly yet?

Old 11-07-2005, 10:07 AM   #15
Cabal
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Kubuntu

Wickman and dludenar:

I've been able to solve this problems with external help of LinuxQuestions. Additional info can be found in this thread:

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedo.../msg05814.html
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedo.../msg05912.html

I contacted the thread author directly by email, and he replied to me with the link which he found the nic drivers:

http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scri...inux*&lang=eng

What I had to do: copy the driver to the linux partition (I used a floppy for that), install the driver (follow the readme in the Intel link) and that was it. After that, I only needed to configure my internet and so on.

I believe your motherboard architeture is pratically identical to mine, so I think you shouldn't have any troubles.

Hope that helps.