LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - General
User Name
Password
Linux - General This Linux forum is for general Linux questions and discussion.
If it is Linux Related and doesn't seem to fit in any other forum then this is the place.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 12-02-2002, 03:55 PM   #1
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
Question Mandrake 9.0 ....W T #ell

I had a System with dual partitions, with both XP and Mandrake 8.1 installed without a glitch. Now I have a new computer, 40gig XP Pro, 40 Gig partition empty....... I just recieved Mandrake 9.0, and when I attempt to install it after boot up, it says "loading installation" ........then everything goes blank, the CD stops, and my Cap Locks and Scroll Locks start blinking? What is this all about? Is my install disc bad?

Never had a problem with installing 8.1 on my last system.

Old 12-02-2002, 04:02 PM   #2
Thymox

Distribution: Mostly Debian based systems

Rep: Reputation: 64
Welcome to LQ.

When it says 'loading installation' or whatever, try pressing <ALT>+<Fn> where Fn is the F keys between 1 and 7. On one of them (4 I believe) there should be some output of the current processes. If it's having problems with the CD, it should spew something here.

Old 12-02-2002, 04:15 PM   #3
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Thanks, I tried that and got no response. Computer just dies and the scroll lock and cap lock lights blink on the keyboard. Everything else just seems to shut down.

The system is an Athalon XP 2100+ with a Gigabyte motherboard, all hardware is cleared on Mandrake's site....... Could XP Pro be doing something to prevent installation? I can't remember if I installed Linux or XP Pro first when I had the Mandrake 8.1 system?

Old 06-17-2003, 12:31 AM   #4
Zonaxx
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Mandrake

Same Problem

I've had this exact same problem, only with 9.1.

I know it's a good disk, seeing as I did a test install on my old gateway running 98SE.

I'm also installing on XP Pro... same exact error when I try to start graphical interface install.

expert - same problem
text - works, but I need to install on graphic, as it contains text not available in the plain text version
regular - doesn't work, of course

What am I to do?

Thank you,
Zonaxx

Old 06-17-2003, 06:23 AM   #5
Read_Icculus

Distribution: MDK 9.2, Debian

Rep: Reputation: 16
Have you tried some of the other options besides text? Like "vga16" for example. I've had the same problem as you guys, except it was reported as a kernel panic. So I tried a few other modes and everything worked just fine. Also if you can install in text mode you can configure your system the same way you would in a "normal" GUI install after everything is set up. YOu can just go into mcc or rpmdrake and take care of whatever extra options you wanted.

Old 06-17-2003, 08:28 AM   #6
Zonaxx
LQ Newbie

Odd..

For some reasons, I have certain options (partitions, for instance) that don't show up in the text version... unless they're not supposed to show up.

I want to install linux on my second HD, but I don't see where it will be possible for me to do this, as the text version only lists 2 options for paritions to place it in, and those are both on the main disk.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Zonaxx

Old 06-17-2003, 04:22 PM   #7
Zonaxx
LQ Newbie

*BUMP*

*AND*

I've double checked in the text version - I do not see any option to select an alternate HD.

Thanks again,
Zonaxx